Shellac prices and nail art?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissyJ

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to calculate how much it costs us per treatment for Shellac, So I know how much profit I will be making. Trying to get my price lists ready for when I have done my Shellac training in Nov.
I think there is a CND page to do this but can't find it.
If anyone has a link I would really appreciate it.
Also, I would like to give clients a complimentary solar oil along with an aftecare sheet for shellac to take home with them, so any help with what to include/ layout would be great. Thank you.

If you email sweet squared they will send you a full cost per service. They also sell aftercare sheets.

If you email sweet squared they will send you a full cost per service. They also sell aftercare sheets.
Ahh excellent thank you x

So I've got the breakdown cost from Sweet squared, they were really helpful. But couldn't help with a service price as it varies on location.
My local salons charge £23-£28.50
Mobile and home based charge £10-£20

I'm going to be mobile late November using all high quality CND & quality lecente & magpie glitters & thinking of charging:
£22 shellac mani/pedi (Inc removal on return & mini solar oil on 1st treatment)
£25 full rockstar or stamping

Intro price for first 8 weeks (as will be newly qualified in Shellac) at:
£18 shellac (as above)
£20 full rockstar or stamping (as above)

If anyone could give me honest realistic feedback on my pricing? Don't want to be cheap, but don't want to be so expensive I don't get regular clients.

How much do you charge for basic shellac & extras?

I'm launching late Nov & have alot of people liking my pics on FB & asking me about it. And I don't see any nail techs by me doing Rockstar or stamping so hoping I will stand out. I Even had a local beautician ask me how to do glitters so am chuffed.
P.s sorry for essay :oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
Have you worked out how much you'll gross per day charging that, then deducted service cost, 20% tax, national insurance stamp, petrol & business insurance?.

Speak to your educator when you do the course, ours was very keen that mobile techs didn't undercharge and end up working for very little.

I'm sure mine said minimum for shellac was £25. Don't forget your saving them getting the car out, driving to the salon & probably paying parking charges & driving home again.

I'm really pleased your works getting noticed. I was chuffed when someone noticed my mother in laws nails.

To start with I will only be doing it part time in eves along side my other job so don't think I'd go over my tax allowance, but yes guess I should add that in for in the future for when I can do more hours. Thank you.

Agree, really your giving clients the luxury of not having to visit the salon and catering for thier needs.

Thank you for your reply, and the same to you, so nice your work was noticed. It's such a confidence booster isn't it. :)

Hi MissyJ, I'm mobile natural nails only based in Surrey with a lot of nail bars all around me but from day 1 I charged full prices as it's hard to increase if you start low. I charge £28 for a plain colour, £5 extra for glitters/stamping/additives and £5 for strengthening gel underneath. I use the full CND Shellac system and inkLondon too plus IBX. If you can offer a high end service and the best quality products then you'll stand out from the crowd ☺

Hi MissyJ, I'm mobile natural nails only based in Surrey with a lot of nail bars all around me but from day 1 I charged full prices as it's hard to increase if you start low. I charge £28 for a plain colour, £5 extra for glitters/stamping/additives and £5 for strengthening gel underneath. I use the full CND Shellac system and inkLondon too plus IBX. If you can offer a high end service and the best quality products then you'll stand out from the crowd ☺
Thank you for your reply, yes that's my concern of trying to raise the price after, it's tempting to lower it to get people to begin with but as you say makes it hard.
I think as it's family and friends wanting to book in to begin with, the guilt of charging full price creeps in. how do people handle that 'mates rates scenario' Just have to stay strong and set the price.
Especially with a quality brand, Thank you Helencowleard

Like Helen, I charge £28.00 for shellac and 50p - £3.50 per accent nail. I also charge £5.00 for Brisa.

With mates rates, I wouldn't. Your friends should be wanting to support you. For example, I used to do my Aunts nails for £10 (!!!!!) and that included all manners of nail art. When I started renting from her, she didn't take anything off the rent. It was treated as a professional business contract, which it was.

Set yourself apart and charge what you - and your product - are worth. It is difficult, but I promise you that there are clients out there for everyone. It's like going to the supermarket - some people can't see past Aldi, some wouldn't be caught dead anywhere else than marks and spencer.

There is a theory that, when choosing services, people want to spend as much as they can afford - spending more means that they've had a better service/experience.

Like Helen, I charge £28.00 for shellac and 50p - £3.50 per accent nail. I also charge £5.00 for Brisa.

With mates rates, I wouldn't. Your friends should be wanting to support you. For example, I used to do my Aunts nails for £10 (!!!!!) and that included all manners of nail art. When I started renting from her, she didn't take anything off the rent. It was treated as a professional business contract, which it was.

Set yourself apart and charge what you - and your product - are worth. It is difficult, but I promise you that there are clients out there for everyone. It's like going to the supermarket - some people can't see past Aldi, some wouldn't be caught dead anywhere else than marks and spencer.

There is a theory that, when choosing services, people want to spend as much as they can afford - spending more means that they've had a better service/experience.

Thank you very much for your reply Linzi,
It's great to hear from people that charge the recommended price and are doing well.

I know what you mean with different types of clientelle & budgets they stick to, I work in customer service job selling brands like Chanel, Tiffany and then also lower prices brands so help a variety with regards to budget.
However in my day to day life my friends and families budgets do not stretch this far so have said they would not be willing to pay the £25 for a shellac treatment, so I guess I will have to make sure I advertise myself beyond my social circle to appeal to more people.

Thank you all for your replies. Xx

Thank you for your reply, yes that's my concern of trying to raise the price after, it's tempting to lower it to get people to begin with but as you say makes it hard.
I think as it's family and friends wanting to book in to begin with, the guilt of charging full price creeps in. how do people handle that 'mates rates scenario' Just have to stay strong and set the price.
Especially with a quality brand, Thank you Helencowleard
The only people who get a discount is my Mum, she insists on paying! & my Mother in Law who I'm sure thinks she shouldn't pay at all but I still have product costs and my time to factor in. If I wasn't doing her I'd have a full paying client! All my other family/friends I charge full price as otherwise the discounts would be never ending. I used to feel bad but I've grown a thick skin and now don't care!! Lol

The only people who get a discount is my Mum, she insists on paying! & my Mother in Law who I'm sure thinks she shouldn't pay at all but I still have product costs and my time to factor in. If I wasn't doing her I'd have a full paying client! All my other family/friends I charge full price as otherwise the discounts would be never ending. I used to feel bad but I've grown a thick skin and now don't care!! Lol
I guess that's it really isn't it, being thick skinned and knowing to draw the line and not be taken advantage of.
Thank you all so much for your replies. Xx

I am mobile and charge £25 for Shellac and £22 for Vinylux. No complaints from my clients so far. I will increase in Jan to £27 Shellac and £24 Vinylux as not had an increase for 3 years. I charge £5 extra for stamping or glitter or £1 per finger if they are not having the full set done.

Latest posts

Back