Shellac problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry0875

Reaction score
I did the shellac training last month and I'm so disappointed. So far I have practised on friends and family as I don't feel I can actually charge for the treatment yet! My aunt had Rose bud on fingers and toes and went off on holiday for a week and when she returned it had turned white, then I had a nightmare of removing it and it took 1 hour and I still wasn't satisfied that it had removed completely. I of course follow the correct pep having done the course, searched the forum and have tried extra thin base coat, sealing the ends etc etc but cannot get to grips with the removal at all without it seeming to leave a film on the nail following removal. Ive tried cnd wraps and foils, taking it off one at a time after 10 mins...I'm just at a loss now and think I have wasted approx £400 :| gutted!

I had that problem on myself of the Shellac leaving a film and I was advised to warm my hands first, so now I stick them in my heated mits for 10 min and it seem to do the trick. X :)

Hi.
Sorry to hear your having problems with shellac.
Weve been using it for a while now and we find it so great!
It took a few sets to get everything right and within a reasonable time span and we still have the odd person who shellac doesnt suit,however we also have clients that are going 3-4 weeks (never recommended!)and absolutely love it.
We arent having problems with removal either.
Are you using dsolve and wrapping the nails quite tight in the wraps or foils for the time?
We use cotton pads and foils mostly and it comes off perfectly.We then do all the needed pep before re application without a problem.
Do you give out aftercare sheets?
Sun tan lotion contains an ingredient that can cause shellac to do odd things or could be the chlorine/sea water maybe.
We always give aftercare sheets to clients and tell them to call if theres anything they arent sure of.

Thankyou for your replies, I have read great things about shellac which is why I decided to take it on. I have also read alot of problems when searching shellac problems :| I really don't know what to try differently, I guess I need to carry on practising, I just need to start earning some money from the kit before it runs out!!!

I had that problem on myself of the Shellac leaving a film and I was advised to warm my hands first, so now I stick them in my heated mits for 10 min and it seem to do the trick. X :)

Good Advice, I adore the Shellac system but on my own fingers it can leave a slight film on removal (i believe this is because i have perpetually cold hands/fingers) when i warm up my hands no problems and then i just go back in with a little d-solve on lint free pad and wipe away any residue (a little like you would nail lacquer) hth :biggrin:

I have read quite a bit about it being difficult to remove on cold hands, I don't want to have to buy heated mitts especially for this, would wrapping them in a towel whilst the wraps are on be sufficient for warming the hands do you think?

I have read quite a bit about it being difficult to remove on cold hands, I don't want to have to buy heated mitts especially for this, would wrapping them in a towel whilst the wraps are on be sufficient for warming the hands do you think?

Yes works for me but i warm the towels first hth x

Great tip guys.
Il bear this in mind if we get the same issues with cold hands in the winter.
Our salon is so hot between march and october as its cob walled and bay window front and sides so everyones bloody hot at the moment!x

When I received my kit it had normal nail polish remover rather than DSolve, I was none the wiser until my training day that it was wrong and had a nightmare with removal, make sure you are definitely using DSolve :)

Sent from my GT540 using SalonGeek

Are you saturating the pad enough?

Are you only leaving on for ten minutes to prevent rehardening?

Sorry if it's like a broken record, but it's baffling that you say it took an hour and then left a residue. You can saturate another pad and hold it against the nail for 10 seconds to get any last residue off.
Be careful not to scrape at all as the nail plate is vulnerable to damage after having contact with Acetone during the removal process.

What has your tutor said might be the problem?

Hi I have been using shellac now for 12 month and I find it fantastic and very popular, it lasts around / weeks in most if my clients but some 3-4 weeks and some just a week. I always use cotton wool and foil to take off and it works takes about 15-20 mins to melt off properly though. I'd double check your prep and make sure your only applying very thin layers x

I did the shellac training last month and I'm so disappointed. So far I have practised on friends and family as I don't feel I can actually charge for the treatment yet! My aunt had Rose bud on fingers and toes and went off on holiday for a week and when she returned it had turned white, then I had a nightmare of removing it and it took 1 hour and I still wasn't satisfied that it had removed completely. I of course follow the correct pep having done the course, searched the forum and have tried extra thin base coat, sealing the ends etc etc but cannot get to grips with the removal at all without it seeming to leave a film on the nail following removal. Ive tried cnd wraps and foils, taking it off one at a time after 10 mins...I'm just at a loss now and think I have wasted approx £400 :| gutted!

Please don't give up just yet! You've only been using the Shellac system for a month and there are bound to be a few teething problems (I trained earlier this year and am still learning the odd thing along the way to perfect my technique). As for the removal, I started a thread on here a few weeks back after having a meltdown when Shellac on my sisters nails took about 45 mins to remove! She has circulation problems and I was advised to warm her hands next time before removal-worked a treat :o)
I was also having some problems with removal on my own nails, couldn't seem to get those stubborn bits of base coat off-I now, after following advice from other geeks, ensure my base coat is super thin and also I don't leave the wraps on for much longer than 10 mins, as tempting as it can sometimes be. I am now confident with the removal process and a month ago I dreaded the removal part! If there are any stubborn bits on the nail after easing the excess product off with an orange stick, I use a lint free pad to go over the nail and that usually does the trick.
Fingernail fixers vid on removal is worth a watch if you haven't already seen it.

Stick with it and I'm sure you'll soon be confident enough to start offering Shellac to clients. Good luck and let us know how you get on x

When I say I removed my sisters nails, I obviously mean her Shellac! Also that's meant to be a smiley face after that sentence, not an embarrassed face. Sigh, am such a Luddite.....

thanks for taking the time to reply. I am wondering if I left it on too long?? I definitely need to check that the base coat is super thin too...will have another go and report back ; x

When you are wrapping each individual nail, you will feel the clients hands.. Some have poor circulation - they will need longer & will need to be wrapped in a warm towel. Others will take a shorter amount of time. Thus is life! Make sure you unwrap each nail individually to wipe off excess - not all nails at once. Any residue - wipe away with Dsolve or hold pad for a few seconds and particle will come away naturally. Shellac is THE best thing that has happened to the natural nail business since polish - don't give up! If you are having any further issues, go back to your educator as they can advise you further :)

The rosebud turning white is a known problem with some of the pinks when people go away on holiday to the sun and spend a lot of time in the pool and then don't wash their hands after getting out. The sun reacts with the chlorine which is a bleach and bleaches out the colour turning it white. So advising your clients to make sure that they wash and dry their hands when they get out of the pool each and every time will help to counteract this problem.
With removal you have to ensure that the wraps are on really tight and snug and that the cotton is well saturated, otherwise you will have the problems that you have encountered.
Jen xx

Latest posts

Back