Shellac repair advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fake it...

Reaction score
Hi all,
Can I have a little advice please?
I did a Shellac offer on Groupon and so far everyone who has had the treatment has rebooked and has been really happy with the service and treatment etc. Baring in mind the offer price was £10 per set, of which I get £4. I run at a £2 loss for every voucher sold but was fully aware of this and was confident in my skills to generate clients once I'd got them through the door. I work from my parents home (42 miles from where I live) so walk in's, passing trade and advertising aren't the easiest. I have no problem with the Groupon thing as so far it has worked for me but I just wanted to keep you in the picture. I am also due to give birth two weeks today!
I did a mother and daughter last Wednesday, they both had long nail beds but the free edge was minimal and finished in line with the fingertip, I did my best to seal the free edge as normal but the product inevitably touched the fingertip too, I cleaned the area each time before curing.
They both left happy.
The next day the Mother called to say that one of her thumbs had lifted so I offered to fit her in that day after she finished work to repair. She was very grateful as they are going on holiday early tomorrow. I didn't charge her for the repair.
I have been closed all Easter, from Fri and will reopen tomorrow as I have been away.
On Saturday the Mum sent a text saying that 2 more had "pinged" off and could she drop by on Sun or Mon? After explaining that I was away for the weekend she said that she would soak them off and asked if she could do so with acetone.
I talked her through the cotton wool and tin foil method. I said that I was sorry that they hadn't worked for her and that without seeing them I couldn't really offer any suggestions as to why they had "pinged" off. I also said that since Christmas I truly hadn't had any complaints but would keep a close eye on future treatments and that the products used were from the same bottles that had been applied to a full day of clients before them and a full day after them so that I knew there wasn't any problems there.
I thanked her for letting me know and for her custom and said that I hoped to see her again.
This evening her daughter has text to say that one of hers has "pinged" off and that as she goes away early tomorrow would I be able to sort something out for them (mum and daughter) when they get back please?
This was my reply...
Hi Lauren, hope you are well and that you've had a nice Easter.
Depending on what date you return from your holiday regarding the baby etc. I would be more than happy to fit you both in for a new set each but would have to charge to cover the cost of products, expenses etc. However I would offer to do them for £15 per set instead of the usual £20 as a goodwill gesture.
I hope you have a lovely holiday and look forward to hopefully seeing you both on your return. Alex x

Have I done the right thing???
I don't feel that I should sort them for free as by the time I see them both again the product will be at least two weeks old, more if their holiday is longer than 7 days.
I have tried to be firm but friendly but am now doubting myself (in my response and not my treatment or service!)
What's your verdict please?
I don't think they were "pulling a fast one", they seemed nice people but I know that's no way to tell.

Thanks folks xx

I think you've been very fair, especially since you originally repaired them for free anyway!
I bet they'll be back Hun as they're still getting a good offer from you!
Stop doubting yourself, you've been really accommodating Hun so stop worrying, you've got a lil'un to worry about soon!!!! Xx

Thanks Waffle, it's sometimes difficult when you work alone, it's always good to have someone to bounce ideas etc off.
Will keep you posted, as yet I haven't heard back from them but feel much happier now.
Thank u muchly xxx

Aaw bless ya. They're still on holiday aren't they? Honestly they've had a right bargain from you, first with the groupon then the free repairs and now a fiver off their next set! The only thing I would say is that I've found shellac doesn't last very well on people with long nail beds as their nails seem to be quite weak and bendy when they get even a tiny bit over the free edge. I now use maniQ soak off gel underneath on these problem nails and it really does help.
HTH xxx
Ps what number bambino are you having chick? :)

Cool, I shall take all of that into consideration.
As for the baby, it's our first so we are very excited. We are having a boy so we are just putting the final touches to the blue and White nursey xxx

Hi all,
Can I have a little advice please?
I did a Shellac offer on Groupon and so far everyone who has had the treatment has rebooked and has been really happy with the service and treatment etc. Baring in mind the offer price was £10 per set, of which I get £4. I run at a £2 loss for every voucher sold but was fully aware of this and was confident in my skills to generate clients once I'd got them through the door. I work from my parents home (42 miles from where I live) so walk in's, passing trade and advertising aren't the easiest. I have no problem with the Groupon thing as so far it has worked for me but I just wanted to keep you in the picture. I am also due to give birth two weeks today!
I did a mother and daughter last Wednesday, they both had long nail beds but the free edge was minimal and finished in line with the fingertip, I did my best to seal the free edge as normal but the product inevitably touched the fingertip too, I cleaned the area each time before curing.
They both left happy.
The next day the Mother called to say that one of her thumbs had lifted so I offered to fit her in that day after she finished work to repair. She was very grateful as they are going on holiday early tomorrow. I didn't charge her for the repair.
I have been closed all Easter, from Fri and will reopen tomorrow as I have been away.
On Saturday the Mum sent a text saying that 2 more had "pinged" off and could she drop by on Sun or Mon? After explaining that I was away for the weekend she said that she would soak them off and asked if she could do so with acetone.
I talked her through the cotton wool and tin foil method. I said that I was sorry that they hadn't worked for her and that without seeing them I couldn't really offer any suggestions as to why they had "pinged" off. I also said that since Christmas I truly hadn't had any complaints but would keep a close eye on future treatments and that the products used were from the same bottles that had been applied to a full day of clients before them and a full day after them so that I knew there wasn't any problems there.
I thanked her for letting me know and for her custom and said that I hoped to see her again.
This evening her daughter has text to say that one of hers has "pinged" off and that as she goes away early tomorrow would I be able to sort something out for them (mum and daughter) when they get back please?
This was my reply...
Hi Lauren, hope you are well and that you've had a nice Easter.
Depending on what date you return from your holiday regarding the baby etc. I would be more than happy to fit you both in for a new set each but would have to charge to cover the cost of products, expenses etc. However I would offer to do them for £15 per set instead of the usual £20 as a goodwill gesture.
I hope you have a lovely holiday and look forward to hopefully seeing you both on your return. Alex x

Have I done the right thing???
I don't feel that I should sort them for free as by the time I see them both again the product will be at least two weeks old, more if their holiday is longer than 7 days.
I have tried to be firm but friendly but am now doubting myself (in my response and not my treatment or service!)
What's your verdict please?
I don't think they were "pulling a fast one", they seemed nice people but I know that's no way to tell.

Thanks folks xx

I think you need to ask them to take a couple of pics of their nails on their phone for you to see, if they want the discount & they can't get in for you to see what has happened. No pics no discount.
Say you can "normally tell what has happened by seeing them".

This tends to weed out the ones that are trying it on.

Thanks Pooh8bear,

I think I may have missed the boat with that one though as they were going on holiday early hours this , morning so I imagine that, the mum especially, have already removed them.
I'm happy to carry out the treatments at the discounted price as i suggested to them, I know that due to me being away and them going away I couldn't repair the problem sooner. I just hope they come back after their holiday. Thanks for your reply and I'll definitely request pictures should this happen again.
Good advice xxx

Thanks Pooh8bear,

I think I may have missed the boat with that one though as they were going on holiday early hours this , morning so I imagine that, the mum especially, have already removed them.
I'm happy to carry out the treatments at the discounted price as i suggested to them, I know that due to me being away and them going away I couldn't repair the problem sooner. I just hope they come back after their holiday. Thanks for your reply and I'll definitely request pictures should this happen again.
Good advice xxx

I bet if they show you photos of their holiday you will see they still have them on....

Lol, I'll make sure I ask to see them x

Latest posts

Back