Shellac shrinking a bit sides of nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfl

cfl
Reaction score
I have been on the CND training over a year ago but sometimes when I do my clients nails the colour sometimes shrinks a bit at the sides or peels off a bit at the end of her two middle fingers on one hand. We think it's because her nails are a but weaker on that hand. Someone else used to do her nails and filed the top coat polish off (she used CND too) but made her nails soft and bitty at the end. My client is so lovely and says her nails have improved since I started doing them and has them done every 10 days or 2 weeks. She takes the polish off herself though by soaking in acetone. I feel that although I have been trained, have followed others advice sometimes In and I'm worrying too much and am also wondering if this happens to anyone else. My client is in her 50's and her nails are OK apart from some of her nails been weaker. I have suggested cuticle oil etc but I can't afford to buy the retail solar oil just yet.
It puts me off doing Shellac as all my natural nail pedicures and manicures are fine using Orly products. I have been running my own business for years.

Firstly I'd suggest retailing the remove tubes to her as soaking in acetone is not being kind to her nails and Shellac actually doesn't require that if she insists on doing it herself teach her how to do the foils for 10-12 minutes. I think a mini solar oil comes in the remove tubes not 100% on that though and they're not a lot of money at all.

Are you covering enough with the base coat as in my experience this is normally what can cause shrinking back also making sure you've scrub freshed the nails so no product or anything else has been left behind even if not visible to the eye. I mostly use Artistic now and the colour coat won't apply where the base coat isn't!

Also we sometimes have to accept that some clients are harder on there nails and if she uses a key board or etc in her job you may find she uses her middle finger more even typing on phone or iPad so these nails will suffer more.
I think we can sometimes be too quick to think we're doing something wrong and sometimes the clients don't care for the nails as they state.

If her nails are weak have you thought about a builder gel/ brisa lite etc for more protection?

Thanks Emily. I will try and get more nourishing remover and explain about the acetone. I have scrubfresh etc and do all that. I do know that sometimes the base coat is very thin and I can't always see right at the edges even with my glasses on.
Also how long does top coat last. I have used mine for ages as I don't have many clients having Shellac

Latest posts

Back