Shellac timings!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hi geeks!
I'm just starting out with shellac, and at the moment its taking me an hour and a half, and it's only lasting an week-week and a half, is this normal for a newbie shellacer? Or am I doing something really wrong? Xx

I'm new to shellac too & it also takes me ages!! People keep saying it will come with practice but I only do nails part time so I'm guessing it'll take a little longer!! I'm sure you will get quicker with time. Just got to keep going & try not to get too disheartened. xxxx

I'm the same! Im doing them around work & college! I hope it speeds up soon! Because I think a lot of people expect it to be a quick treatment! :-( xxx

Tell us exactly what you're doing just in case there's something obvious. And don't worry you will speed up it's just a case of building your confidence x

i take around 40 minutes start to finish for shellac. I have been doing it for 2 years though.

They definitly do expect it to be quick!! I'm forever saying 'sorry I'm still learning!!' :o Lol!! But they understand.

Mine seems to be lasting ok, though. Not had any complaints and the one's that I've gone back to remove have only had slight wear on the tip but I suppose you have to expect that a little bit with the different lifestyles people have & how they care for their nails. One had been decorating!
Have you done the training? I did it at Leeds in August & it really helped. Would definitly give it a go if you haven't already. :hug:

Sanitise using cool blue, then cuticle away, push cuticles back, cuticle removal (this seems to take forever) ask client to wash hands, use scrub fresh, base, colour, colour and top coat, rub in solar oil on the cuticles xxx

Thanks for your replies! I haven't done the shellac class yet, as I have no holidays left from work and the classes are always on work days! Hoping to do one after christmas when I get my new holidays! I do feel it would help a lot! But since I have my products and they are open And I'm getting the odd enquiry for them I would feel like a waste to wait untill Iv done a class, if you know what I mean? Xxx

Thanks for your replies! I haven't done the shellac class yet, as I have no holidays left from work and the classes are always on work days! Hoping to do one after christmas when I get my new holidays! I do feel it would help a lot! But since I have my products and they are open And I'm getting the odd enquiry for them I would feel like a waste to wait untill Iv done a class, if you know what I mean? Xxx

Know what you mean!! I wanted to do the Shellac nail art course in the October school holidays (I work in a school) but no spaces, so guess it's Feb or easter for me next year too!!
I couldn't wait till I did the course to use my Shellac either when I got them! The more practice you get the better!! xx

Its so frustrating! I know it isnt there fault, but I wish they did them more often!! Lol! :) Hopefully some practice before will help! :) I have my 1st paying shellac client on thursday (just been friends and family recently) so feeling a little stressed as I'm going over at 6 and she needs to be out by 7.30 as shes out for the night! Hoping I will be able to do them in time! :) xxx

Well it took 1h and 15 mins, set up, shellac application & pack up! I rushed my cuticle removal and now wish I hadn't as I felt a little lump when I was running the cuticle oil over her nails! :( hope she is ok with them! She seemed happy!!

Lighting was terrible!! I need to get a little table lamp! Any recommendations? Xxx

Mine takes me 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours!!

I seem to be spending too much time around cuticle work.

How long do you all take around cuticle work? And then shellac application?

I just feel I want a perfect job, maybe that's why I'm taking too long!

I've been doing shellac since July, have got my time down to 40mins since I started in a salon a month ago. I think that's helped because I know I can't take ages a there are other people waiting. It was the cuticle work that slowed me down though. As obviously some clients need more work than others. Xx

Don't worry we were all slow at first it used to take me 2 hrs when I first started and now I can soak off and apply in 50 mins! try timing each stage it really helps to see which areas are slower! I usually allow 15- 20 filing and cuticles 2 mins max per nail! it helps to have it in your head about timings separately if that makes sense! ! sometimes you can overdo a nail remember you can always go back to it! good luck hth x x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Are you allowing time for the cuticle away to work? If you put it on and then work at the cuticles straight away its harder as the CA hasn't had a chance to 'soften' things.

I file one hand, apply CA then file other hand, apply CA to that hand and then go back to the first hand. This way the CA has had a chance to get to work and makes it much easier. HTH :)

Sounds like you're mobile, with the setting up and packing up .... so yes, I reckon you can add 10 minutes for setting up and at least 5 for packing up and the client farting about deciding where to sit and where the power point is etc so there's 20 minutes for you lol

If it's a straightforward application rather than removal and new application, 40 mins (been doing it a year) ... add on the above 20 mins, that's an hour, then a bit more cos you're new.... you're not far away really!

re: the lamp ... a Daylight table lamp (the pull up mobile style) is fab for nails, had mine nearly 10 years and still on the first bulb.... it's robust, has a handle, great light which highlights ANY defect which is so useful, and also doesn't strain your eyes no matter how much you use it. Oh, and it doesn't heat up at all so your Shellac/gels won't run and if you do acrylics they won't set before you're ready! Available I think from Ellisons, also places like Hobbycraft.

As for them not lasting, how many Shellacs have you done? Are none of them lasting? I find the stronger the nail, the longer it lasts ie weak and wobbly nail = forget it and do overlays, not bad nails but not that strong = 1.5 - 2 weeks, thick strong nails that don't move when you try to flex the tip slightly HURRAY probably a month or so! What are the clients nails like that you are finding it's not lasting on?

I'm two and half months into my new business and I'm taking 2 hours for removal and re-shellac!

Any suggestions welcome!

Is it the removal part you ladies are finding takes the time or the actual application??

I'm taking ages too! I can do full set of acrylics faster which seems bizzare?!! I'm so careful to get it neat and tidy that it takes blooming forever.....and if they want a design.....well!! I may as well book out the rest of the day!! Losing my confidence!

The removal took the usual 15 mins but I find when I scrap the shellac off bits of base coat still on the nail, so wrap it again.

Then clients who are regular I still clean cuticles with CA because they look untidy.

Polish took me about 40 mins.

I started at 7pm, an hour and a bit for removal and cuticle tidy.

I'd like to book more than one client an evening but the rate I'm going I can't.

Maybe because I'm a perfectionist and check every little thing closely, I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Latest posts

Back