Shellac topcoat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poshcatz

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what other geeks thought, or any advice you can all give me on the subject of Shellac topcoat.

I absolutely love the CND and Shellac products with the exception of the Topcoat, which I hate.

I find I have to be really careful when applying this as it is very easy to miss bits on the sides of the nails. The product is so thick.

I have two bottles, one small and one large and they have always been the same, really thick and gloopy; and yes I do shake them well.

Any thoughts, ideas or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.:wink2:

I keep all my shellac bottles between my legs until I need them, they then go a bit thinner and are easier to shake and then apply, have u tried this? Clients think its a bit weird but I explain! ;D read it on here a whole back :) xxxx

I keep all my shellac bottles between my legs until I need them, they then go a bit thinner and are easier to shake and then apply, have u tried this? Clients think its a bit weird but I explain! ;D read it on here a whole back :) xxxx

:eek:

lol

I am speechless!! Must give this a go xxx

Yes I have tried this and I found with the colours it works quite well but not so much with the topcoat.

i dont have any problems until i get to the bottom of a bottle x

Is it generally supposed to be a lot thicker than the other shellac products, and should it be applied to the nail in a thick layer than the colour?

I cant remember this being discussed at the Shellac training.

Its a lot thicker than the colours and base coat

Thanks everyone, I was starting to wonder if it was just me and perhaps there was something I was doing wrong, although I just couldnt work it out.

Are there not any metal balls in the topcoat, I cant hear any?
If there isnt, why dont they put them in?

Thanks everyone, I was starting to wonder if it was just me and perhaps there was something I was doing wrong, although I just couldnt work it out.

Are there not any metal balls in the topcoat, I cant hear any?
If there isnt, why dont they put them in?

I don't use CND Shellac but I would say they reason is......
the balls are usually put into the color coats as they help to mix the pigments of color when the bottle is shaken, as there are no pigments in a top coat cause it's clear, just a normal shake of the bottle is enough to mix it up thoroughly.

Yup I found the same was happening to me. I just make sure i do both sides first and then the middle. If that makes sense. When it gets to the bottom is nearly impossible to use!

I'm the same. I find myself having to keep dipping back in for more to get even coverage but then prob going too thick. End of bottle just ends up getting chucked or demoted to personal use! X

I'm the same. I find myself having to keep dipping back in for more to get even coverage but then prob going too thick. End of bottle just ends up getting chucked or demoted to personal use! X

I do this haha

i dont have any problems until i get to the bottom of a bottle x

I only have problems too when the bottles coming to an end so when it goes like this I use it for my rock stars!! Although I have to say I get through topcoat like there's no tomorrow.Xx

Ha just thought I'd share my funny but great tip!! I go throu loads of topcoat because it goes so thick. One if the ladies on this thread mentioned putting it between legs to warm it. I have just done my mums nails and thought it may fall from between legs. So instead I stuffed it down my top before I started! Wow it actually worked and my topcoat was like a new bottle!! Now I'm not advising putting bottles in your bra on paying clients but shows that warm up does work!!!!! 😆

Ha just thought I'd share my funny but great tip!! I go throu loads of topcoat because it goes so thick. One if the ladies on this thread mentioned putting it between legs to warm it. I have just done my mums nails and thought it may fall from between legs. So instead I stuffed it down my top before I started! Wow it actually worked and my topcoat was like a new bottle!! Now I'm not advising putting bottles in your bra on paying clients but shows that warm up does work!!!!! ��

For a VERY temporary fix at that moment maybe, However warming any product that contains solvents will only help, in the long run, with those solvents evaporating faster, and increase the thickness of your Shellac more quickly and you're back to square one a lot faster than you would have been. It's not a recommended practice by CND- or we would have all been taught this during the Shellac class! xx

I have actually put a cold tc down my top before to warm it - doing my best friend's nails - then forgot & spent a good ten minutes going through my whole kit trying to find it!! So blonde :/

For a VERY temporary fix at that moment maybe, However warming any product that contains solvents will only help, in the long run, with those solvents evaporating faster, and increase the thickness of your Shellac more quickly and you're back to square one a lot faster than you would have been. It's not a recommended practice by CND- or we would have all been taught this during the Shellac class! xx
ha I know not entirely conventional but was very end of a bottle that I'd have ended up throwing in bin had I not done this! Thanks for advice x

Latest posts

Back