Shellac-what am I doing wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natso

Reaction score
Please help me fellow nail geekers!!!!

I have done uv nails since April, I use orly gel fx and shellac colours.I have no probs withe orly peeling or coming off but shellac I do!
I've read gigis guide oodles of times over & downloaded all the guides from the cnd shellac site, and the only thing I can t.hink is that they dont harden off properly due to my lamp? I have a thermal spa 45 lamp so thought would be fine as is more powerful.
I'm gonna go step by step what I do, so please help me if you can see where I maybe going wrong!
File, cuticle work,dehydrater(not cnd one),base coat ,cure for 10 seconds, first voat , sparingly less is best an all, cure for 2 mins, next coat, cure for 2 mins, top coat, cure 2 mins. Wipe with 99% alcohol. Solar oil to finish.
my clients who have tried gelish say that shellac doesn't feel as hard, does it harden? If so why isn't mine? I'm pulling my hair out as the gelfx definitely hardens off more than shellac,so I'm really confused.
Many thanks Natalie x x

Please help me fellow nail geekers!!!!

I have done uv nails since April, I use orly gel fx and shellac colours.I have no probs withe orly peeling or coming off but shellac I do!
I've read gigis guide oodles of times over & downloaded all the guides from the cnd shellac site, and the only thing I can t.hink is that they dont harden off properly due to my lamp? I have a thermal spa 45 lamp so thought would be fine as is more powerful.
I'm gonna go step by step what I do, so please help me if you can see where I maybe going wrong!
File, cuticle work,dehydrater(not cnd one),base coat ,cure for 10 seconds, first voat , sparingly less is best an all, cure for 2 mins, next coat, cure for 2 mins, top coat, cure 2 mins. Wipe with 99% alcohol. Solar oil to finish.
my clients who have tried gelish say that shellac doesn't feel as hard, does it harden? If so why isn't mine? I'm pulling my hair out as the gelfx definitely hardens off more than shellac,so I'm really confused.
Many thanks Natalie x x

You have answered you own question hun.
You are not using the CND Lamp therefore having service breakdown, CND Shellac can only be completely cured using the correct Lamp.
It has nothing to do with the wattage of the lamp as that just tells you how much electricity is going from the socket to the lamp it's the UV output which is important.
Have a search on the forum for threads about UV Lamps and CND Shellac there are some fantastic and informative threads which will give you all the answers you need.

hiya, definitely your lamp hun.

if you watch the science videos behind shellac you may understand why your shellac is not lasting. you need the lamp to cure the shellac properly, no other lamp will do. i know it looks cured etc but its what you cant see going on that is your problem. Have you had any training?? If not maybe you should think about doing the shellac brings them back course, its very cost effective and will give you all the info you need.

Even for us nail techs that have been doing nails for years we have still found the science of shellac invaluable. how else can you explain to clients that shellac is a revolutionary product??

once you get the lamp you will wonder how you did without it!!

good luck hun and hope thats helped xx

Thanks guys for your replys, yes I've done a full course souze as I'm a beauty/nail/holistic therapist and make up artist and wanted to gave the qualification due to my insurance.
I am a bit gutted if is my lamp as I read so many reviews,as i bought from America, and tbh i really couldn't afford 170 for the cnd one, and the thermal spa gad over 100+ reviews and they all said shellac was ok with it (bought off Amazon),the weird thing us my pedicures last great just not my fingers! I have downloaded dougs info so will read that too.

Thanks guys for your replys, yes I've done a full course souze as I'm a beauty/nail/holistic therapist and make up artist and wanted to gave the qualification due to my insurance.
I am a bit gutted if is my lamp as I read so many reviews,as i bought from America, and tbh i really couldn't afford 170 for the cnd one, and the thermal spa gad over 100+ reviews and they all said shellac was ok with it (bought off Amazon),the weird thing us my pedicures last great just not my fingers! I have downloaded dougs info so will read that too.

The CND lamp isnt £170 , its much less , and how did you do the course without the CND lamp ? x

If you did your CND Shellac training at one of the Creative Academies, Sweet Squared, Ellisons or with any of the CND Educator Ambassadors then you would of needed to have and provid on the day of training a full CND Shellac kit which most definitely includes a CND Lamp.
As far as I am aware even if you did the CND Shellac class at a Collage you would of had to supply the CND Lamp as CND Shellac is designed to work as a full 'system'.

And as the results show with your clients not working as a full system can lead to many problems including service breakdown.
As xxjackiexx has stated the CND Lamp isn't anywhere near £170.

Can I ask where you did your training?

I don't know where you are getting your info from but the CND lamp is not expensive and Doug Schoon has informed us many times to use the correct lamp

New CND UV Lamp

hi Natso, thats great that you are qualified in beauty etc but doesnt mean you are qualified in shellac. When you buy into each system that you use its generally a good idea to do some training with that company also. As professionals there is always something to learn no matter how long you have been trained, this industry is ever evolving and for us to evolve with it we must invest in our training and product knowledge.

Also never trust advice from people who are not using a full system as it was intended. Companies will tell you if their product is ok to be used with another lamp or not but this information must be obtained from the companies itself. Without it your insurance is invalid and you are putting your clients at risk of allergies etc.

i hope that you find this information helpful and that you contact sweet squared direct for shellac advice.xxx

hi Natso, thats great that you are qualified in beauty etc but doesnt mean you are qualified in shellac. When you buy into each system that you use its generally a good idea to do some training with that company also. As professionals there is always something to learn no matter how long you have been trained, this industry is ever evolving and for us to evolve with it we must invest in our training and product knowledge.

Also never trust advice from people who are not using a full system as it was intended. Companies will tell you if their product is ok to be used with another lamp or not but this information must be obtained from the companies itself. Without it your insurance is invalid and you are putting your clients at risk of allergies etc.

i hope that you find this information helpful and that you contact sweet
squared direct for shellac advice.xxx

Most insurance companies cover Shellac,you just check with them to be sure.This is what Gigi said in another post :
' If you hold a valid manicure and pedicure certificate you can purchase Shellac ... You will have to check your own insurance requirements to see if a certificate is required ... Shellac is a power polish and not a gel ... Do you need a certificate to apply every different brand of polish you buy?

As to classes ... At first we only offered one class because we assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that people with a mani/pedi certificate KNEW HOW TO APPLY POLISH!! Sadly many do not ... So we do recommend a class to those who are not already excellent manicurists.

Most busy working nail technicians know how to apply polish, so for them, Shellac is a doddle to use. Many technicians buy it and use it well. But classes are now available to help the others who need it.

Those who fall into the category of those who definitely need a class, are those that have done a quick manicure class in order to buy Shellac but still have no knowledge or experience of really doing excellent manicures plus polish, nor anything about UV curing, lamps etc. or Technicians who have No experience with UV cured products.

Personally I would recommend everyone to do a certified class as you will learn something re application and marketing and everything about Shellac, the science behind it and how to use it in the right way so that you can do great business with it AND become a CERTIFIED SHELLAC SALON. That is the end goal, right? '

If clients toes are fine then maybe a little bit too much base coat is being used on the hand nails. Ive been doing shellac for over a year and have used cnd lamps and when our salon is super busy we also whipp out just original salon service one and the cure it. Good luck

Latest posts

Back