Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallpap

Reaction score
I Currently offer shellac manicures but would like to take my colours one step further, maybe add some glitters, additives, diamantes, even stamping etc.
I adore the pics that I see on this site.
The question I have is how did you start to progress your talents.
Im not that creative but I love my job. Im busy with my day to day beauty work but would really like to progress with my shellac.
Is a course worth attending or are you self taught/practice
Any starting point suggestions?
Thanks
C
XO

I'm self taught but still only do very basic stuff. I startes off with some dotting tools which were a few pounds and some glitters then got some stamping bits. All of these are cheap to start with, I'm talking a few pounds. I've not really ventured into additives yet. I have got some micas but really need to practice a lot more.
I spend ages watching you tube tutorials and giving it a go

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm all self taught too and not very creative but good at copying! so I watch loads of YouTube videos and then have a go. I would say that the easiest things to start with are dots and as Lilypie says the dotting tools are very cheap on Ebay, then its easy to progress onto swirls and then things like roses. Glitters are great & pretty easy and everyone loves a bit of sparkle! Micas can be a little tricky but are quick to pick up the hang of. I adore stamping and again these can be a little fiddly but once you get it, its addictive!

Karaxxx

I too am self taught, by watching loads of you tube videos and such. But I believe sweet squared do some nail art classes with pigments and such. X

CND do a great CND Shellac Art & Style class that is really good and covers a good range of designs. They have just added a CND Additive Art & Style class too. I would check with Sweet Squared for classes closes to you. Kx

I am "self teaching" and still learning! If im not with clients, cleaning or cooking, I'm either watching you tube tutorials and practising, or on here for advice and tips!

I have mastered dots, swirls, flowers, animal prints etc.

I have an ever-growing collection of stamping plates and polishes, and this is by far my preferred nail art method.

I have quite a large collection of additives and glitters, and am now getting some really great results, although it has taken me a while to master!

Freehand just isnt my thing, I can not do it, they look a mess and like a childs drawing!

Im another one who prefers to replicate designs, rather than have to come up with my own!

Adding these extra bits is very very addictive - and your credit card may take to hiding as it will undoubtedly take a huge bashing!

Have fun x

Thank you all that's great. You tube here I come!

Hello sorry to jump in however what glitters do you all use? where do you purchase them from?

Hello sorry to jump in however what glitters do you all use? where do you purchase them from?

I've got different ones from all over the place, Ebay, craft stores, art glitters, Irresistible and CND ones from S2 and some from Avon. I don't find that any are better they are just different and work differently from each other.

Karaxxx

The irresistible glitters from s2 are awesome, I also use some glitters from smileys6062 on eBay, go for holographic glitter to get the most sparkle x

Thank you! im so excited now haha - I wasn't sure if ebays/craft shop glitters would work but obviously it does woohoo im off shopping :D x

The finer the glitter (ie smaller the pieces) the smoother the surface tends to be. You really need to burnish/scrub in the glitter so it all lays flat before you topcoat.

I am not great with nail art but love foils and have a huge collection but that was just buying loads and trying them. Not all have worked and some have gone straight in the bin but I think it's just practise and trying new things out and this place is the best to see some VERY talented people x

Latest posts

Back