Shellacme

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evaperk

Reaction score
Searching through the net today to get some examples of things I like and don't like on websites for my web designer I came across this site.

It appears to be a site selling cco shellac! I've only previously seen it advertised on ebay.

It traces the origins of shellac and talks about the tree resin which I believe has nothing to do with CND Shellac apart from the fact that they're both shiney!

Ridiculous!

Shellac isn't owned by CND it is a substance found in tree resin, shellac is used in many many trades and products.

There are hundreds of threads explaining all about shellac here in our very own salon geek, just use the search function to see.

Coco, bluesky and other types of shellac are other companies also using the shellac style gel power polish (albeit using CND brand shape bottles and colour names)

But shellac the tree resin is not in shellac the power polish if you see what I'm saying? But this site is saying it is, just another site spreading misinformation.

Shellac is a brand name.

My dad used to sell industrial paint years ago and they used a product called Shellac that was a shiney, hard coating for metal...derived from beetle dung :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Shellac is a brand name.

My dad used to sell industrial paint years ago and they used a product called Shellac that was a shiney, hard coating for metal...derived from beetle dung :p

My ex used to be a traditional French polisher and they used shellac in their line of work too ;)

Shellac comes from the lac bug who eats tree bark then secretes it in the tree in tiny tube structure, this resin is then what becomes shellac.
I believe I once read that this is the same bug family that we get cochineal from - old style red food dye.

So this bug gives us it's poop and blood ;)

Hmph, learn something new every day eh!! :D

CND Shellac Power Polish does NOT contain anything from the lac beetle!
CND Shellac is a high shine, resilient protective coating for nails.

'Shellac' is also the name of a wood varnish/finishing product that brings wood to a high shine, protected finish... this one does use resin secreted by the lac bug.

CND Shellac is the original power polish.

Other 'companies'/cowboys on the back of its success have began selling gel polish products in a bottle and calling it CCO Shellac/ INM shellac and imitating the bottles, colours etc. Do they contain beetle resin? Who knows- perhaps ask for their MSDS (if they actually provide one)
They provide looky like products in order to make money by duping people into buying a product that they think is the real deal or may perform like the real deal (it doesnt). They are not producing 'shellac style power polish', they are producing poor quality knock off products that are not alike in any way.
There is no such thing as a Shellac style product- its either an imitation product or its not, whatever way, it isnt CND Shellac and wont work like CND Shellac.

CND Shellac Power Polish does NOT contain anything from the lac beetle!

We never said it did :)

' Shellac' is also the name of a wood varnish/finishing product that brings wood to a high shine, protected finish... this one does use resin secreted by the lac bug.

Yes...there also used to be one for metal back in the 80's which is what I was talking about.

Do they contain beetle resin? Who knows- perhaps ask for their MSDS (if they actually provide one)

Evaperk never said about beetle resin anyway, it was tree resin...just thought it would be interesting to say what else shellac (the product not the CND polish!) is used for :)

I was just clarifying a few points so that all were clear they are separate- so no readers are confused into thinking otherwise with the information on here and on any dodgy websites like the one originally referred to.
The reason I mentioned the beetle is that the resin taken from the tree's is secreted by the lac bug onto the tree, so ultimately, although taken from tree's it comes from Lac beetle bugs.
I too never said it wasnt used for metal, it was just more commonly used for wood coating which is why i said wood.:)

Nothing to do with cnd shellac but they used to use shellac to make records before vinyl but it broke far too easily. Another interesting fact lol

Latest posts

Back