Shingles contra indication for massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailpod

Reaction score
Hello ladies,
I know the obvious answer is yes we shouldn't treat a client unless doc given go ahead in written form to do a treatment.
Yesterday (I work at a hotel) a client comes in for shoulder and neck massage booked for half an hour she tells me just ignore the red rash it's shingles.
I chirp up and say : sorry but that's a contra indication and we won't be allowed to do your treatment it's for your own health and comfort and before I finished talking she very spottily says I am not contagious u can't catch it and I am also a beauty therapist and I don't see what the problem is and so waited for the next therapist available (who did this client after I said no)

Am I wrong ? Would you also have said no?

Beauty at your finger tips!

As far as I am aware someone with shingles can pass on chickenpox whilst the rash is in the blister stage, once it has crusted over it ceases to be contagious.
Surely it must be contraindicated! I certainly would not take a chance.

Last edited:
You were definitely in the right x

Shingles is 100 percent a contraindication for several reasons. You were right x

Oh gosh no!
Shingles chickenpox herpes ringworm or other viral type rashes are all contra indicated!

Who goes for a massage with full blown shingles anyway??!

Thank you all for your replies.
Yes I even spoke to the manager and explained why I said no and she said I did the right thing.

And this woman loudly chirping in her massage room that I don't know what I talking about bla bla bla it has nothing to do with chicken pox. I don't think she realized her voice louder then the walls or she wanted to make a point.
I feel sorry for her clients if she claims to be a therapist or not. Eish

Beauty at your finger tips!

Latest posts

Back