Short acrylics vs long?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helward87

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I have been doing nothing acrylics since August. I trained with CND and use the full CND retention+ system or the acrylink system.

I'm getting a lot more confident with my application but in finding shorter acrylics more difficult than long ones. Do you have any tips or tricks for getting a shorter length nail to look a bit sleeker as I think they can look a little stumpy???

TIA xx

Hi geeks,

I have been doing nothing acrylics since August. I trained with CND and use the full CND retention+ system or the acrylink system.

I'm getting a lot more confident with my application but in finding shorter acrylics more difficult than long ones. Do you have any tips or tricks for getting a shorter length nail to look a bit sleeker as I think they can look a little stumpy???

TIA xx
Hi Tia, Ive found that when I was applying acrylic to short nails. i had to do a good prep by pushing back the cutucles as this lengthens the nail plate, then when applying the liquid and powder i would start from the cuticle then work down to the tip making sure to cover the free edge. Hope this helps.

Tapering slightly makes for a less stumpy look x

Thanks for the suggestions :) I am tapering but I always worry about tapering that bit to far so I think I'm being a bit overly cautious with this - something I am working on though :) thank you xx

Yes I know what you mean, it can only be slight on short nails :)

Yes I know what you mean, it can only be slight on short nails :)

For example ..... How can improve on these that I did this evening .... I'm trying to incorporate everything I was taught but I'm just never happy with them, they don't look 'right' too me :/ xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1450483509.370591.jpg

Yes you couldn't taper more than that :)

Tbh if the nail bed is quite short, especially if it's wider than it is long, you just have to do your best, and accept that they are never going to look the same as a person who has long slender nail beds. You've heard that expression 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?' I think it does apply somewhat.

I just know someone's going to say how rude I'm being but all nails are not created equal!

For me, it's not about tapering those any further it's about slimming the bulbous side walls. Because they are short the stress point is more pronounced, the trick is to ensure the sides of the stress point are slimmed. It's so hard to explain with showing you in person or a picture but the sides should come straight down from cuticle to tip, those are slightly rounded.

I used to have a picture in my gallery of how to file the side wall, I'm not sure if it came across when we moved platform, I'll see if I can find it..

No blossom I agree..... Can't polish a turd and all that (excuse my choice language haha)

Yes I agree I could have straightened my sidewalls more :) I think that's the bit i dislike most and I really kick myself when I miss something that I was taught to do!!! I alway get them lovely and straight on longer nails - it's just the short ones that look ugly !! Thank you for your help ladies :) on a better note I did these in 1hr 45 (without the stamping) so my timing is improving gradually.... So ironic that if I'd spent 15 minutes more I might actually like them a bit more lol - Sod's law!!! Client was very happy but it seems I never am :/ xx

No blossom I agree..... Can't polish a turd and all that (excuse my choice language haha)

Yes I agree I could have straightened my sidewalls more :) I think that's the bit i dislike most and I really kick myself when I miss something that I was taught to do!!! I alway get them lovely and straight on longer nails - it's just the short ones that look ugly !! Thank you for your help ladies :) on a better note I did these in 1hr 45 (without the stamping) so my timing is improving gradually.... So ironic that if I'd spent 15 minutes more I might actually like them a bit more lol - Sod's law!!! Client was very happy but it seems I never am :/ xx

Keep your abrasive straight when you file the side walls from cuticle to hypernychium, the tendancy is to rock the abrasive as you pull it downwards, this is what causes the bulbous shape.

Keep your abrasive straight when you file the side walls from cuticle to hypernychium, the tendancy is to rock the abrasive as you pull it downwards, this is what causes the bulbous shape.

Thank you!! I'll pay close attention to this next time!! I'll post a pic so we can compare the difference :) thanks again xx

How do I post a question In the forum?

How do I post a question In the forum?

Are you on an iPhone Buttons? Select 'Nails' from the professional forum, then by touching the dots in the top right hand corner, you'll see 'Create new topic' as an option and away you go :)

Hi geeks,

TIA xx
For short nails I like to only do a thin acrylic overlay.

Latest posts

Back