Should I do nvq 3 hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanhead

Reaction score
I am a mobile hairdresser, I qualified in 2004, I have worked in a salon but decided to go mobile a year ago after being made redundant (as salon owner decided to give up & shut the salon)
After completing my nvq 2 I felt I needed a break from learning but had always planned to go back to college and do my nvq 3. Time has flown by and now here I am not sure if I should now do it.
My predicament is, that I thought now maybe a good time as I am still building my mobile client base I could go to college without it causing too many complications. But now on the other hand my client base is increasing really quickly, by taking a day out of my diary for college I could run the risk of struggling to fit them all in.
One of my hairdresser pals has done the nvq3 and always says how good it is.
I am hopeful I can get some impartial advice. Should I get that extra qualification under my belt or just focus on my business and continue to build my client base?

I'm wanting to go back too but would have to pay childcare for a whole day that I could be working every week. I think it depends on what you want to get out of NVQ3, for me it was colour correction and more cutting knowledge as I work on my own too I think updating on courses is essential. I looked into day courses and matrix do colour correction, cutting, hair up etc not too expensive either???? Could be option?
HTH xx

This is the other thought is it better just to do the odd refresher course or gain a recognised qualification?
Because of my age I will have to pay for my nvq3 and I would potentially be losing out on earnings as well.
For me I think it is mainly colouring that will benefit me in the nvq3.
Have you applied for a place yet?

I'm in the same boat as you!
Defo goin to do my level 3, it's 4pm till 9. ... So I will still be able to work during the day! Not too sure how your colleges work.
I'm also booking various courses with L'Oreal and Wahl throughout the year.. Just to scrub up on my skills :)
I say go for it, afterall you gotta spend money to make money!! Xxx

The hours at my college are a lot longer, it's 1 12 hour day per week, so that's a whole day a week I'll be losing. I would of liked to of done it as an evening course but it's not offered by my local college.
I have never had anyone query my qualifications so I don't feel having the nvq 3 would bring me more work. I just wondered if it makes a big difference in knowledge or if what you learn is stuff you pick up with experience anyway. X

I expect I will probably get grief for saying this...I never did my level 3 and i qualified about 10 years ago so would now have to pay for it which I dont think is worth doing to be honest, i'm freelance and have never had anyone ask me whether im level 2 or 3. Everybody I know that has done level 3 has told me it's all to do with spiral perms and colour corrections which are things that you learn through experience, I have a friend who has been a hairdresser for 30 odd years and even now she still gets stuck with colour corrections, its down to your own personal judgement at the end of the day and you can always find or ask for answers on this forum. Just because you have level 3 doesnt always mean you'll be able to confidently do everything thats thrown your way, with all these different DIY hair products coming onto the market and the fact that some people will lie about their hair history, it makes our job a lot harder.

Good luck with your business :)
xx

Reading back through my post, sorry if it doesnt make much sense! x

Hi if your only reason is to scrub up on colour correction then i thoroughly recommend the l'oreal courses..they do a 2 day colour change course that makes it so easy to understand, i left feeling very confident dealing with colour change now and im only qualified to level 2..and only recently too. Im looking into doing my level 3 later in the year as well.

No looked into it and it was all day 9-5 and cost around £800 would take 12-18 months they said too no half term off either. Optional add ons too........ Ah I don't know what way to go?? Lol!

I'm glad it's not just me that doesn't know what to do here.
I have spoken to the head of hair and beauty at my local college and she has offered me a place on the course starting in September.
The things that are putting me off are:
1. A 12 hour day at college which is an hour drive away so a total of 14 hours = a day of no earnings
2. Course fees of about £800
3. There is a compulsory hair competition which you must take part in.
4. Probably biggest of all is that they've said as a mobile hairdresser and they are bending the rules on intake for me therefor they have said under no circumstances should I miss any college days. I'm getting married in October and this will mean I couldn't go on honeymoon.

I've did a spiral perm while doing my nvq2. I also find when doing colour correction as long as you take you time, use your common sense and think about what your doing you'll normally be fine. I have also found that people do say it's all about perming and colouring and it seems like a lot of time for what you learn.

At the mo I think the chances are that I wont be doing it.

Has anyone else had the issue of being mobile not meeting the intake requirements?

Yeah I'm mobile they said aslong as I have full client base it's fine. The only reason I'm doing my level 3 is because I want to become a lecturer.. And scrubbing up on my skills isn't a bad thing, I love to learn! xxx

I'm just a few weeks away from completing my Level 3. I had been out of hairdressing for a year before I enrolled on my course.

We havn't done spiral perms. We've done colour correction (which I already knew how to do from working in a salon) and pin ups (no demonstrations or anything, just told to use youtube :rolleyes:)

But for me, it has boosted my confidence a little bit after being out of the industry for a bit, and it will look better on my CV (although I understand that won't matter to thosw of you that have started your buisness)

I still plan to do other colour and cutting courses in the future even though I have got that level 3.

My tutor also said that Level 3 is going to become compulsary, but I don't understand how that can be enforced on people like yourselves who have qualified and working for yoursleves? X

being mobile isnt going to be an issue for me, in fact ive been offered a fast track level 3 course so that i can attend college around my clients. the tutor basically said i would get my own station in the college salon to work at my own speed, whatever tutors were around at the time would oversee my work and i would be able to work through the modules quicker rather than at the speed of a full class..she estimated around 16 weeks,as opposed to 30 weeks with the class led course.

I want to do it so that i can keep my options open for the future..i have the time to do it now and figure it will come in useful if i ever want to venture into lecturing..or if i ever decide to try for employment in a salon..oh and i love to learn too!

My advise would be to ask yourself .. do I really need it ?

I am assuming from your increasing client base that people are happy with your service and abilities . If you have loyal clients that keep coming back then this is also proof your doing a great job.

However NVQ 3 is pretty much required if in the future you want to work in a salon or maybe open your own as it does look further into the management side of hairdressing .

as someone has already said if you want to brush up on colour correction their are a lot of courses out there . I am booked on a Matrix one soon and also a cutting course with them . I think if your mobile it is important as sometimes it can be a bit lonely not having other stylists around to have a chat to or ask advise.

If you do go ahead I would go back and talk to the college about your honeymoon most people on my course seemed to have a day or two for a holiday I understood 80 pct attendance was the criteria but they will confirm this for you.
They should not be putting pressure on you for being mobile ..either you have a place or you don't end of .. .. You don't want others on the course to think they have 'bent rules for you' or the tutor making comparisons. :lol:

Good luck and all the best for the wedding :Love: sounds like your doing just fine

South Devon College NVQ3 Last year was £356 + exam fee...... This year it is £2,300 yes that is right £2,300 for 1 full day at college...... plus 3 full days in a salon......

Would people who are alreay NVQ3 pay that kind of money? it it worth it for what they teach you or am I better to go mobile and stay in the salon 1 day a week???:cry:

i am having to think of taking a year out before going on to my level 3 finances are an issue and i wont get child care. this has been made easier for me with the level 2 as my parent have had my child well i am at college but things have chancged for all of us... was thinking of going mobile have built up a small clientel well on my course... dont know what to do really confused myself

hi

I am just coming to the end of my level 3. I have enjoyed it,and feel I have learnt a lot more advanced hairdressing then level 2. I had to take part in a competition (see my photo album). I did not have to pay for the course, as I was told that your first level 3 course is free!!! good luck xxxxx

Latest posts

Back