Should I reduce price to boost my business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah-Nail Tech

Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if there's already a thread on here but I could find one when searching.
I qualified as a nail tech in July last year and still haven't managed to get a clientele yet. The only regulars are my mum which I obviously don't charge and my best friend who I don't charge as she does my hair for free!
Anyway, I charge £20 for Gelish manicure and even run offers at £15 but still nothing!! I have a client to do tonight but this is my first one since before Xmas! It's just a good job I don't rely on the money and that this is a hobby/second income.
I have just found out that I am pregnant so want to boost as much as I can now so when I leave for maternity from my other job I can focus on this more. I currently offer appointments in the evenings & weekends as I work 3days a week in an office and also have a 4yr old so I thought offering those times would appeal to more people but obviously not! Am I charging too much? It seems to be the going price in my area and some charge £25 for shellac.There is however only one salon I know of around here which offers Gelish the rest are all shellac and often get people ask if I do shellac then when I say no I use Gelish it seems to steer them away? I think it's just because shellac is more well known?!
I just don't want to do myself out of pocket just to get clients and I know it will be harder to increase my price once I get established. I am mobile so have to think of my fuel too! I do want to gradually build up my treatment list and hoping to do a waxing course next as think this would help as it is more of a necessity than a luxury treatment and hopefully then will boost the nails side!
Any advice welcome, thanks ladies xx

Hiya it can take a while to get regular clients u need to get your name out there advertise everywhere, facebook,leaflets,shop windows do u have a website or facebook page advertising you need to show off your work I advertise on loads of selling sites on fb and I get customers that way don't give up I use gelish and I agree with u a lot more people do have shellac maybe see how u get on u can always offer both u don't have to just stick to one brand good luck :)

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh and the price is fine do not offer any lower as like u said u have to take I to account fuel aswell and u won't be making anything if u lower prices do regular offers maybe new customers get free nail art or somthing to get them in the door

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Hiya, firstly congratulations on baby and secondly on having the perseverance to carry on in this tough industry. I would say that it's got nothing to do with prices but that people just don't know you are there or your area is saturated with nail techs giving people plenty of choice.

So what have you done in the way of advertising ??do you have a website, a fb business page, have you leaflet dropped, have you out posters up anywhere? What have you done. I have a thread on here called how to succeed in nails if you want to have a read and Lynne baker also has a thread on here called ways to promote yourself if you have a read of that also. Do a search and you will find them or look on our profiles.

It's not easy and it takes time, you have to be patient and make sure you are giving each client the best, in way of products, your time and knowledge ( keep learning) and making them feel good as well as obviously a great set of nails!!

Thank you for replying. I have a facebook page - www.facebook.com/BeauticlesNails 😉
And have business cards but haven't done any leaflet drops yet. Do you really get any business from this or do you think they just get chucked away with other junk mail? Xx

Thank you for replying. I have a facebook page - www.facebook.com/BeauticlesNails 😉
And have business cards but haven't done any leaflet drops yet. Do you really get any business from this or do you think they just get chucked away with other junk mail? Xx

It is tough at the start, i started out towards the end of last year too. I did a leaflet drop and got 1 client from it. I get a lot more through facebook and twitter but it is a long slog. Have you tried doing some of the pamper evenings just to get yourself out there? You can find out about local events on stallfinder.com

A lot of my clients have come via a friend of mine who is a wedding make up artist. She recommends me to her clients and vice versa so hooking up with people in the beauty industry who don't do nails is a good idea. Maybe contact some local businesses like bridal shops, boutiques etc and ask if you can leave some leaflets with them, in return maybe give a half price treatment to the shop owner.

HTH xxx

That's a good idea thank you. I have a lot of friends in the beauty industry already but they do nails too so wouldn't be right them sending clients to me! I will just have to preserver with it and get some posters/leaflets made up too.
Thanks ladies xx

Sarah, I am by no means a marketing expert but objectively looking at your fb page through a customers eyes I feel you are selling yourself short by always having an offer on gelish. I wouldn't want to pay you £20 because you have it on special offer at £15 more often than not. Also, plan your offers so they don't conflict. If I paid you £20 for a set to get my next set at £15 then saw that they were only £15 the following month anyway, I'd feel cheated. Leave a bigger gap between offers like this Hun..

I can clearly see you're fab at nails and the nail art is brilliant. Plus those custom rings are amazing. What about offering a free ring with a full priced set instead of money off (providing the ring doesn't cost too much to make) Or a recommend a friend and receive a half price treatment?- I know this is a financial incentive but you get another full paying client through the door who may become a regular and word of mouth is what will bring in clients.
These are all things I will be trying myself too as I'm very new to all this so I hope my observations are received as constructive advice and not criticism
Keep at it hun
Kate Xxx

Sarah, I am by no means a marketing expert but objectively looking at your fb page through a customers eyes I feel you are selling yourself short by always having an offer on gelish. I wouldn't want to pay you £20 because you have it on special offer at £15 more often than not. Also, plan your offers so they don't conflict. If I paid you £20 for a set to get my next set at £15 then saw that they were only £15 the following month anyway, I'd feel cheated. Leave a bigger gap between offers like this Hun..

I can clearly see you're fab at nails and the nail art is brilliant. Plus those custom rings are amazing. What about offering a free ring with a full priced set instead of money off (providing the ring doesn't cost too much to make) Or a recommend a friend and receive a half price treatment?- I know this is a financial incentive but you get another full paying client through the door who may become a regular and word of mouth is what will bring in clients.
These are all things I will be trying myself too as I'm very new to all this so I hope my observations are received as constructive advice and not criticism
Keep at it hun
Kate Xxx

No thank you for your honest opinion! I did think that running the offers like I have done looks desperate and see what you mean but to be honest I was getting desperate!! When you spend so much money in training and the kit and then don't have any clients that pay the money to pay it off you start to worry!

Thank you for your ideas though. I will def consider them! Xxx

I started out a month ago and I'm getting two clients a week but I do nails, hair and make up. Most my clients find me through Facebook. I post a link on the local "spotted" site and the only offers I do is for special occasions like Mother's Day or for introductory treatments. And I have emailed vouchers to all the local community centre type places to offer in raffles. As well I have now done a competition for a £10 voucher to people who like and share my page. Just to get more people seeing my name out there. I am also doing a fundraising event at my local supermarket, I post loyality cards in the local area. When some of my current offers run out I'm going to do a refer a friend offer and at the same supermarket offer there staff and all staff in the chain 10% off there first treatment. But once I get a steady clientele I won't be doing offers il be relying on my work to get them in! It's just getting your name out there really difficult. The spotted thing has doubled my likes within a week so well worth doing for the exposure! I have a website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter account! Getting clients to leave you reviews and interact on your page helps too. Hope this gives you some ideas

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

You mentioned you have a school aged daughter so what about really targeting the school mums, once you can get a bit of a buzz going with a certain group you might find you get a few bookings, school notice boards, arranging a pamper evening, Mother's Day leaflets or a stall at a school event are all fairly easy ways to get yourself noticed.
Good luck!

It doesn't say whereabouts in Kent you cover. You have to make it easier for people to use your services.

I personally don't rate these Facebook 'like' pages, I know that they're intended for business use but how exactly do you promote them? People have to find you, you can't just go and pop yourself in front of them!?

I use a normal Facebook profile, this means I can add random people, comment on other people's statuses, group pages etc. The amount of times the question used to come up on 'sale pages' on Facebook where people wanted a nail tech, spray tan etc - using your profile means YOU can respond and offer your services rather than hoping someone else says it for you.

I have only ever advertised through my Facebook and now have a successful business, I started off doing spray tans £10 each or 2 for £15 - they could either bring a friend or come back a 2nd time for £5. It seemed too little to sell myself at but you've gotta get people through the door - word of mouth then spread and it's worked for me.

Good luck :)

I have a son who is 4 and still at nursery. I have given my card out to a few of the mums but not all. There isn't a notice board or anything as it's a pre-school. As for the area, I live in Herne Bay, Kent so will only do 10mile radius of that - max.
I advertise on the fbook selling/trade sites but there are so many in my area it's very competitive! I do agree with what you say about the 'Like' pages though and would be good to have a personal page instead so I could add random people. I may do this too.
Thanks for your replies x

I found a really good way to get more business is when you post a pic of nails youve done on facebook "tag" that person in it this way their friends list can see it :) of course ask permission to the client before :) i got loads of clients like this!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

Don't keep playing with your prices. that doesn't work.

The issue is you need to market yourself. Make sure you always have your nails done nice and always have cards with you. whenever someone makes a comment say "I did them myself, Here's my card" and give it out.. A LOT. Think about fundraisers at the school. anytime they are doing a project offer a gift certificate for your services, it gets your name out there in a nice way for the fundraiser. Make sure there is a full list of everything you do listed on the certificate.

Leave the card and list of services at your full time job on cork boards or whatever (if they allow it). Why are you not promoting your work there? you can offer a work discount (anyone with their ID from this place will get 10% off)... do things like this instead of price reductions. You can do the same with the school/daycare. (Anyone who has mentions having a child at this daycare can get 10% off)

I'm for service stacking reductions more than price reductions. Full set for X and Pedi for Y but book together and get it for.... and offer slightly less.

Don't forget - the most important way to get business going is be shameless and keep talking and promoting.

Good luck!

I am constantly mentioning my business. Sure I seem up myself but it's the only way!

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I have just set up a personal page on facebook and tagged those friends whose nails I have done and already have comments and requests off their friends so at least that is working! I work in a small office of only 10 and they all know what I do but are not the type to have their nails done unfortunately so that's a no go! 😔

Hi all, just wanted to bring up this thread again for any fresh ideas...I am due to go on maternity leave in 3weeks time and is also when my son starts school so I will have more time to do appointments during the day. My baby isn't due until 26 November so I have a bit of time to get the clients in the door.
Anyhow, I am still really struggling and don't know what I am doing wrong? I have a facebook business 'like' page as well as a personal page for my nails which I am constantly posting on, adding pics of my work as well as tagging the person. I hardly get any likes or bookings. I have a card up at the local shop too but does anyone else have any other ideas of getting clients in? I now offer shellac as well as Gelish thinking that would help as lots of people prefer shellac! Help!! Really need my client base to build (not that I have any regulars) and earn some money!! If this doesn't pick up soon I am thinking of selling it all to pay of the debt I accumulated to buy it all & pay for my course :-( xx

Hi all, just wanted to bring up this thread again for any fresh ideas...I am due to go on maternity leave in 3weeks time and is also when my son starts school so I will have more time to do appointments during the day. My baby isn't due until 26 November so I have a bit of time to get the clients in the door.
Anyhow, I am still really struggling and don't know what I am doing wrong? I have a facebook business 'like' page as well as a personal page for my nails which I am constantly posting on, adding pics of my work as well as tagging the person. I hardly get any likes or bookings. I have a card up at the local shop too but does anyone else have any other ideas of getting clients in? I now offer shellac as well as Gelish thinking that would help as lots of people prefer shellac! Help!! Really need my client base to build (not that I have any regulars) and earn some money!! If this doesn't pick up soon I am thinking of selling it all to pay of the debt I accumulated to buy it all & pay for my course :-( xx

What about offering some vouchers for the local school raffles? Also look at more than just the local shop! Get some leaflets printed and drop some off in any shops, cafés etc you can within the 10 mile radius you cover. Ask at local businesses if you can put up an offer for staff (10%off maybe) and keep reminding them your there. you really have to advertise and then some. I've just stopped as due in 2-3weeks and just can't do it but come Christmas I'll be back to really pushing the business again! Hope it gets busier

Latest posts

Back