Should I stay or should I go?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilCheekyMonkey

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm looking for, be it advice or reassurance either way here goes!

I work full time for an insurance company, I've been there since September so I'm still in my 6 month probation period.

I've just completed my Gelish training and I loved it! It really opened my eyes to what I enjoy.

Basically my full time job changes my shifts every week with only 3 days notice. This makes it really hard to book in clients to progress in my nail business.

My initial plan was to build up my nail business whilst using my full time role to help pay my normal bills. Once I had a good steady client base, I'd then go part time to ensure my bills are still being paid and also the satisfaction of building my business.

Due to the continuos changing of shifts I'm limited to how much I can do for my business. I've been tempted to quit and get two part time jobs that means I can work on the business. Or I stick it out while the new department settles, save more money to help my business and basically shut up and put up at my full time role.

I would normally speak to my mum, but she's not very approving of the running your own business thing. Hence why I'm not too fussed about discussing it with her. My partner doesn't earn enough money to pay all our bills, so I will need a definite income.

Any advice would be great, thanks :)
Fingers crossed my shift today isn't half as horrific as it was yesterday!

Emma x

Hi there,

Whilst you are fairly new, Id personally be inclined to stick out the full time job role for a while, maybe add a couple of courses & qualifications to your services when you have set money coming in.

Could you live on part time money if you were to get a part time job?

I worked 2 part time jobs whilst setting up my mobile business, now 2 years later Ive given one of those jobs up, I'm a little reluctant to give up my care job, 4 hours per day plus holiday & sick pay.

I couldn't have given up my 2nd job before now, although I did slowly drop my hours as my business got busier.

If you could afford (& find something) to go part time to give your business the time then go for it.

Only one problem with being a new business is that you don't get success & a good reputation over night. Just make sure you can afford to live without making any money from your business for the next year, anything you do make will be a bonus then.

Ive been very cautious with my employed jobs, & being self employed has its risks cancellations etc.

Xx

Hi there,

Whilst you are fairly new, Id personally be inclined to stick out the full time job role for a while, maybe add a couple of courses & qualifications to your services when you have set money coming in.

Could you live on part time money if you were to get a part time job?

I worked 2 part time jobs whilst setting up my mobile business, now 2 years later Ive given one of those jobs up, I'm a little reluctant to give up my care job, 4 hours per day plus holiday & sick pay.

I couldn't have given up my 2nd job before now, although I did slowly drop my hours as my business got busier.

If you could afford (& find something) to go part time to give your business the time then go for it.

Only one problem with being a new business is that you don't get success & a good reputation over night. Just make sure you can afford to live without making any money from your business for the next year, anything you do make will be a bonus then.

Ive been very cautious with my employed jobs, & being self employed has its risks cancellations etc.

Xx

Thanks for your reply, I've been thinking a lot about it and think its best I stick it out. It's gonna be extremely hard but ill have to get on with it.

At the moment I can't survive on a part time wage, my best bet is to stick to my original plan.

Thanks for your honesty, it's good to hear other people's stories for things like this.

Xx

Latest posts

Back