Sick of the humiliation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LauraKate, it's not all about the products. Reading your posts over the years, I don't think you've grasped that. Being an expert in every product line will not make you a better therapist, or more popular with clients. It's YOUR skill, and YOUR personality that counts, not knowing if a cleanser has parabens in or not, the will make you successful.

I work as a stylist. Do people pay top money for me to cut their hair because I use Pureology to wash it? Or because they like the way I cut and dry it? Do they come to me because I know the shampoo ingredients or because I have many years of cutting experience (not gained through doing continual courses, gained through slogging along on the salon floor.)
So please don't over react, and take a step back before you throw a wobbly about a course being withdrawn.

When you put it that way I have come across therapists who have been given more product training than me who still work too close to the spine in a massage or have a limp looking pressure for facials. Product training really isn't everything.

Maybe I've been sucked in by the politics of it all a bit much...in my last job there was a culture of "you've not been put on many training courses have you?" said in a really condescending way by other therapists but in fairness, the clients weren't bothered about that and my feedback reflected that. Hmmm, maybe it's more of a prestige thing than an example of skill level.

Okay. I was just thinking if it is one of the big brands that a lot of them now do online training which would still contribute to your cv and give you the product knowledge.

Also there could be a valid reason for it as I know that with Elemis who we use they are changing their facials and so from October onwards it includes the new versions and therefore they have been advising salons to hold out till after then. Am sure that with other companies similar things happen and there could be a reason they have cancelled it. I agree with Persianista that product training in the long term isn't as valuable as practical experience and skills but I also know that for a lot of therapists training is one of the main motivators.

If you haven't already I would speak to your manager about your concerns and how it is affecting you. It may be that if cost is an issue you can agree a compromise where you are not paid for the time spent training etc.

Is the training something you can do on your own? Most of the product companies offer free training and if the rep knows you are x salons therapist...

Alternatively some companies link the certificates to the account owner or salon, meaning the certificate is worthless to use elsewhere.

Is the training something you can do on your own? Most of the product companies offer free training and if the rep knows you are x salons therapist...

Alternatively some companies link the certificates to the account owner or salon, meaning the certificate is worthless to use elsewhere.

Regrettably, not all companies allow for that, hence making the employee reliant on the employer entirely to make it a possibility.

It sounds as though you've just got into a cycle of victim, poor me, victim, poor me. Draw a line under that thought process and start from Monday being positive because nobody likes a moaner as it drags everyone else down. You have to put on a happy face for clients. Count your blessings as you have a job.

Set yourself goals. If you feel that product training will enhance your life/career, then either leave that salon or pay for your own training.

Salon owners are not there to improve their staff's CV's by paying for training and then for them to leave. Instead of asking 'what can the salon do for me?' ask 'what can I do for the salon?'. Use your energy and spare time thinking of ideas that will bring clients in and get them all wanting you as their therapist.

Allow yourself 15 mins moaning a day when you get home and at work be a pleasure to be around.

Keep your chin up..........you'll get there in the end. As has been said; it's all about personality and skill. xox

Sweetie not read all of the posts and I commend you for wanting to further your training but have you ever heard the phrase ' Paralysis by analysis '

I really think this applies here .Lifes a bitch and s...t happens but all that has happened here is that you cannot go on certain training that you want at THIS point in time ..... As Persianista said there could be a lot going on with your employer that have no bearing on you but you appear to be taking everything personally as a reflection on you

You need to take a deep breath , take a step back and learn to relax a bit. It is a great industry to be in but it is hard for everyone . We don't always get what we want ALL the time - That's life I am afraid

Your post almost seem to be on the point of obsession . Try and look at a long term picture and have long term goals . Not everything can happen in five mins and the best things in life take time

If you cant go on further training at this point in time then concentrate on making sure that the treatments you carry out NOW are the very best you can do , be your own critic and ask yourself if you could have done something better , faster ect ect

x

Latest posts

Back