Silver with root drag

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannivdb

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a consultation tonight with a client who's looking to achieve the 2nd image. Her current colour is the 1st image, not a great picture unfortunately.
I'll be doing a strand test this evening but this will be my first experience trying to get a lovely silver tone so any tips would be great. Have advised it may be more than 1 appoitment.
I know this will be a challenge as she has so many different colour bands through her hair and I really want to make sure i get an even well blended result. I haven't done consultation yet so don't know her natural root level yet.
I have an idea about how I think I want to proceed but would be great if anyone can tell me what there plan of action would be.
Thankyou so much in advance!

Attachments

• received_10159131994585355.jpeg
    received_10159131994585355.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 88
  • received_10159125169985355.jpeg
    received_10159125169985355.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 84
Wow thats a big change. But exciting. Great definitely do a stand test. That hair on the very end looks a bit compromised to me and getting that red out is going to be a challenge.
So you'll need to get her to at least a level 9 which as you say may take a few hours over a couple of services. Do you use olaplex? Is she having it cut? Maybe cut it into shape first.
What brand of colour are you using?
Whats her colour history? X

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes I'm so excited about it but I know it's going to be a challenge. I also had concerns about the condition so we'll see what happens with the tests.
I haven't spoken to her yet but from what I know she's always coloured her own hair to a level 4 or 5 so i'm sure there will be plenty of colour build up. Most recently she had ombre which still looks very orange/gold from what I can see in the pic so I think I need to try and get the midlengths to the same tone and take it from there...
I use Goldwell for almost all my colouring but i use wella Blondor freelights for balayage. I have been looking for a supplier to try olaplex as I've heard amazing things about it, unfortunately my local supplier doesn't stock it so I'll need to get it ordered asap!

Any advice on the most efficient way to do the process would really help.

Use a colour reducer (Eraser, Elimin8 etc.) rather than bleach when removing old colour build up. It won't cause damage compared to using a peroxide based lightening product and you can then go in with bleach afterwards.

Thankyou so much for the advice.
We've done the consultation and I now have more info.
She has only a cm or 2 of regrowth which is a level 6. The top few inches in Goldwell lingo match a 6kr and the midlengths are about a 5kg then finally the ends are a warm level 8.
A hairdresser did the red and ombre and after she coloured her own roots with a red box dye.
Before that she had some scattered hi-lights with a mid brown colour. (In her words)

Any recommendation on the best level to go for with the roots to blend nicely with the silver tone? I'm thinking about a 5mb(depending on what's left after colour reducer.) I did tinker with the idea of a 4 but im worried it'll be too dark and she'll hate it.

I've just realised I've been typing for aggggeeesss and now you have a novel you read
Sorry guys and thankyou so much again for any advice or suggestions. X

Thats near on a level 4/5 ... i would suggest go on the darker side just to ensure that theres no rogue warmth kicking out (so annoying it just happened to me and ruined the whole look)
I dont know goldwell at all but definitely go for maybe a blue/ash tone or special mix.

Ok I'm having a real freak out moment.......ive been too and fro the local suppliers and just can't seem to get hold of anything I need. They dont stock the colour removers or reducers that have been recommened and i really dont want to use goldwell as ive heard terrible things. So now i'm also in 2 minds about which direction to take.
I've strand tested with bleach, 30 vol and olaplex and it's lifting the red out nicely, condition is still good and I've reached a warm 8.
I'm just getting a bit muddled as to what order to do things.
Should I simply lift the area I want lighter this time and on the next appointment do the roots and lighten the ends again or should I be tinting darker area from the first appointment then lightening?
As I'm darkening to a level 4, I'm thinking it may be enough to cover the red and if I use a green base it may neutralise the red?? Possibly 4mg with a touch of 5a?
Grrr I'm feeling a bit pressured as have the appoitment on Monday and want to make sure I have all the products in that I may need. Any thoughts on my plan will be sooooo helpful!!!!

X

Last edited:
Sally's stock rusk eliminate and olaplex if that helps x

Sally's stock rusk eliminate and olaplex if that helps x
Thankyou, i have got olaplex now but am not local to Sallys anymore. I'm just wondering if I might be able to achieve what I need to without removing the existing colour..... (ive edited my post above as I sent it before id finished typing.

A level 4 will cover the red but you're right it will have a reddy tone so you'll need to neutralise that tone.

I would concentrate on getting that red out and lift to a 9. Then once its all clean and free of yellow tone then decide how you want to move forward. I would plan for it to be orange and what you would do to make it wearable for the client in between visits. Then if it all goes to plan then you will have overdelivered which is what all clients want. X

Latest posts

Back