Sink in room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukic

Reaction score
I have a question, does anyone know if you legally have to have a sink in a therapy room? There is one next door in the kitchen.

I'll be offering massage, mani's, pedi's and waxing, no facials. I vaguely remember something from college about having to have a sink or shower in the room, but I can't remember the details.

If anyone has any clue, please let me know. Thanks :)

I'm not aware of this regulation, obviously should have some washing facilites on the premises but not in the actual room and the shower one is not an issue.

If this was a regulation, half of the therapy rooms in the UK would be shut down.

Here in Birmingham we have to have a handwash basin and hot running water in the room we are doing the massage in otherwise we cannot have a licence .

Ruby
Logans Cave - News

And actually it is only in Birmingham that you need a licence to have a sunbed .

Ruby

you do not legally have to have running water in the actual room, the only things that health and safety arent happy with was if you would have to be carrying bowls of hot water across the salon, because of the obvious dangers. get around this by having a hot towel cabbie in your room, you can use thhis to remove products. and have plenty of alco rub in your room to sanitise your hands during treatments if needed. having a sink in room next door should be sufficent. hope this helps xx

you do not legally have to have running water in the actual room, the only things that health and safety arent happy with was if you would have to be carrying bowls of hot water across the salon, because of the obvious dangers. get around this by having a hot towel cabbie in your room, you can use thhis to remove products. and have plenty of alco rub in your room to sanitise your hands during treatments if needed. having a sink in room next door should be sufficent. hope this helps xx

Here in Birmingham you do Legally have to have running hot water .
The inspector turns the tap on every year at inspection .
Of course it may be different elsewhere but not for me .

Ruby x

I've not heard that before?
My room's the same as urs so would be interested to know the answer too.
Hannah x

I had to register that I was doing electrolysis, so when I rang the council, I asked if I needed running water in the room I was doing my treatments and she said I did, I explained that my bathroom was in the room opposite, so she checked it all when she came out. She was worried about my opening doors after I washed my hands and I use the sterex hand cleanser and you don't need water to use it. She said it was ok but only use it twice before washing my hands, also if I have done a set of extensions to give it a couple of hours inbetween doing electrolysis.
Every council in every area are different they all have there own rules.
The best thing to do is ring and ask them. My insurance company said it wasn't a problem if I didn't have running water in the room.

Each borough in London is different. For Westminster you need a sink in the treatment room.

To get your license to do massage, manicure, pedicure and waxing the council will come to check out your room.

Regarding waxing, each borough as different rulings for disposal of wax. The borough I work for now requires wax to be disposed using clinical waste bags.

Best you contact your licensing department of the council your treatment room is in to get the correct answers.

i have a similar problem i dont have a sink i have to go to the bathroom and use the sink :-s , when health & safety came out when i first opened , she recommended me to try get one in , but as my salon is in an old terraced house the way it is i cant get a sink in there , and the hairdressers had a problem putting there basins in so they had to put them out the back..but she didnt say it was law to me , just if someone is using the bathroom and i need to wash my hands in between clients it could be a bit of a problem....which i can see her point...:)

Latest posts

Back