Smacking paddles - did you see tv last night

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you often find in society the ones that have been regularly smacked or beaten are the ones that are the most trouble in society.It is a quick form of punishment and doesnt mean much at all especially to an older child.
I did slap my childrens legs when they were young usually for doing something dangerous.
I think a lot of people like the idea of corporal punishment in schools but would anyone really agree to letting someone hit their child i certainly wouldn't.
I think as children get older,i have a 12 year old son and 15 year old daughter,discipline is gained through respect not fear.I can't remember the last time i slapped my children but ive taken away privilages, which works,internet,going out etc.
Any breakdown in society isn't because of the lack of corporal punishment but i believe the lack of time and care in the family given to many children.
Many children are ferral by the time they become teenagers but they still have a need to belong somewhere which is why they join gangs.

I have to agree with you re the time and care given to family life and values. Bring back eating meals together at the table.:lol:

I also said that isnt smacking meant to be against the law?
If I am right in what I say, why is it still going on???

Hidden Lives - Raised By The Hand Of God

On the write-up about the programme (on the above link) it says that smacking is legal in US and England and hasn't been outlawed yet, although it has been in a number of other countries.

I personally don't want to make a comment about my views on this subject, but we (mods) will be keeping an eye on this thread!

Just a quick reminder to everyone... your opinions do matter and they do count BUT we must all be aware that we won't all agree with each other and respect that fact :hug:

Happy Geeking :D

Can people please stop referring my my comment of "taking away the playstation" please!?

I have a fantastic, well balanced, well adjusted little boy of nearly 5 and I have never hit him. Discipline started before he could even talk, and as he has grown, so have my discipline methods. I have used the bottom step as a time out and when this became ineffective, ie, he wouldn't sit for the alloted time, we progressed to a naughty room (the consevatory). Now, as his playstation is his most prized possession at the moment, that is the item we remove, next week it will probably his power rangers megazord! You know how ficcle kids are:rolleyes:

However, if an individual feels that a slap on the hands works for them then fair enough. I just think in this day and age, this is something that they can copy - after all we learn by example do we not?

Can people please stop referring my my comment of "taking away the playstation" please!?

I have a fantastic, well balanced, well adjusted little boy of nearly 5 and I have never hit him. Discipline started before he could even talk, and as he has grown, so have my discipline methods. I have used the bottom step as a time out and when this became ineffective, ie, he wouldn't sit for the alloted time, we progressed to a naughty room (the consevatory). Now, as his playstation is his most prized possession at the moment, that is the item we remove, next week it will probably his power rangers megazord! You know how ficcle kids are:rolleyes:

I do this with my eldest, who is 10. I have smacked him (and the others kids) on occasion, but with him it dosnt work, in fact it makes him worse! So my tactics now are to take away the thing that means the most to him at that time - at the moment its the playstation, but it could be going out with his mates, or watching a film etc. This works a treat, and he soon starts to book his ideas up!

All kids are different, and so you have to handle them all differently. I can reduce my daughter to tears just by telling her I am not pleased with her, but that wouldnt bother my 5 year old son - he just thinks that its funny!

Kids dont come with a handbook and we all have to find ways of disipline our children that suit our circumstances.JMO :hug: :hug:

i agree with what others have said regarding discipline techniques are down to the individual parent and child and each is different.
i have 3 boys aged 9 10 and 12...3 boisterous lively boys who......when out in public, shopping or at peoples houses i have never raised my voice too never needed too....i have seen kids been yelled at by the mums in the street and these poor kids look horrified.
yes i have smacked my boys...on the hand (a tap) as toddlers and yes i have also chased them round the house trying to catch them....and now i have no chance....lol.
with my boys, punishments are ...time out in their room on their own until a) i say they can come down or b) they apologise with meaning......also i take away playstation, ground them off the computer for a week and so on.....these seem to work better than any other.
i am on my own with them and its dam hard being the only one to discipline them and have no one elses back up so i do what works for my boys and me.......they may be little b****rs at home sometimes.....but my boys are good at school, at the shops and peoples houses......and the worst things they are naughty..are for...being cheeky to me or fighting with each other...snitching etc....and thats it.......so it seems in some families homes.....taking away the playstation DOES work

I ain't against a smack on the bum (somethings are far worse...some words can hurt a child a hell of a lot more and for alot longer)....but i do think that smacking a kid is a sign that you have lost control.....(think about the times you have smacked a child...was you calm and in control...???)

I have smacked my kids bums (count on 1 hand the times)...but i didn't like it and felt c**p afterwards....i wouldn't like to be smacked !!

To buy a object purely for using to hurt a child ...this paddle thing...i think is very wrong.

I think you have got things back into perspective Angie. :hug:

When i was in councelling for post natal depression,they always taught not to smack in anger,but i do get your point because i did once smack his bum in panick,so i do take your point (he pulled away from my hand very close to a busy road)

I personally feel i am not a bad parent if a smack my son and i shouldn't be judged as such,that's all.There are no rights or wrongs but lots of differents

REading this thread makes me feel sick, not the content but the memory it stirs up of being beaten...Not Smacked...beaten.
There is a big difference. I am 35 and can remember every one of those attacks. I have 2 girls and have never smacked them for obvious reasons,violence does not always beget violence. I am still scared of my father and dont cope well with being around him, my sister was also a victim and is now an alcoholic!
I am not making any judgements just telling what went through my head on reading the original post.

I ain't against a smack on the bum (somethings are far worse...some words can hurt a child a hell of a lot more and for alot longer)....but i do think that smacking a kid is a sign that you have lost control.....(think about the times you have smacked a child...was you calm and in control...???)

I have smacked my kids bums (count on 1 hand the times)...but i didn't like it and felt c**p afterwards....i wouldn't like to be smacked !!

To buy a object purely for using to hurt a child ...this paddle thing...i think is very wrong.

Im the same Angie although i never watched this programme, i can count on one hand too how many times ive smacked my boys, and i agree with you Jo the playstation does work infact any form of computer in my house its the only language my kids understand and yes angie i did feel really guilty terrible in fact, and i would never use an instrument of any form to hit my children, there is no need for that at all :hug:

I think that a child having a sharp small smack is a hell of a lot different then a child being physical abused, I was smacked if naughty has a child and it hasnt effected me at all. I dont smack my children but dont have any doubts that parents who do are loving and kind people. People who beat there children on the other hand are not nice people and shouldnt have children I think the programme showed what in my eyes is physical abuse because they used a weapon on there kids.

I think its up to the individual parents although in this day and age having something like a paddle seems ill advised and I would hate to know someone doing that. I didn't watch the program as I was busy.

I used to smack my children when the twins were small but as I have a fairly quick hot temper I stood back one day and realised I was smacking them for something my mother would have hit me for, not because it warrented it and it left such a bad feeling I never did it again and haven't done with any of the others either. I can remember having to walk past Mum cowering and failing to get past quick enough to stop the slaps on my legs that left red welts I can still feel when I think back, a sting that took hours to subside. That 'come here' summons haunts me. Do I feel I grew up a good person for it? No, not at all or certainly no better a person anyway. I still flinch though when Mum walks behind me and I'm 39 years olds next month!

Thats my personal feeling though, each to their own I say.

Latest posts

Back