Smacking paddles - did you see tv last night

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAOH

jog jog jogging
Reaction score
Did any of you see the programme last night 'Raised by the hand of God'?:mad:

I had to turn it off after a while, it made my stomache turn. These families believe in rasing their children by the rule of the bible (fine, each to their own), but this includes punishing their children with smacks and they don't always use their hand.

One man said he received a message in the shower to make smacking paddles out of wood and he gives them away free to the people in his neighbourhood. But what I found more disturbing was the reverend and his wife. She uses the thin branches off a tree in the garden and uses this. They have eight children and this discipline starts at the age of 6 months. They can only watch videos that they say are suitable as evil comes in through the eyes.

I had to turn it over when two of the children (looked about 7 and 4) were fighting as all siblings do. She just took both of them into another room and then you heard the cries.....:evil:

I don't ever recall when I've attended church, that this is essential to raise healthy, happy and well mannered children:!:

Unfortunately people misinterpret the bible all the time, that is why there are so many wars etc.

I don't want to get into a major debate about this though but I do agree, smacking a child with a paddle is wrong!

Teri x:hug:

One man said he received a message in the shower to make smacking paddles out of wood and he gives them away free to the people in his neighbourhood.

That's nothing to do with the the bible! That's schizophrenia! :eek:

How come people can act out of madness an clame they "heard" god and all of a sudden it's ok???

Beats me.

I am so glad i didn't see this .....

This is why there is such a fine line between discipline and abuse

One man said he received a message in the shower to make smacking paddles out of wood and he gives them away free to the people in his neighbourhood.

That's nothing to do with the the bible! That's schizophrenia! :eek:

How come people can act out of madness an clame they "heard" god and all of a sudden it's ok???

Beats me.

Not necessarily.

My close friend, grew up together... is a Jehovah's witness. Her brother is also, but he later became a Born again Christian. We were sitting in the pub one afternoon (as Christians do :green: ) and he was listening to what I was saying about Tarot cards etc... and then he started talking and smiling... but not at me... anyways, turned out God was talking to him :eek: . Silly old me asked what he was saying :lol:

Anyways, this lad isn't mentally ill... has a good job.... a wife, step-children... nothing wrong with him in any way... aside from his one-to-ones with God occasionally.

sorry had to pmsl at the 1 to 1 with god bit :lol: :lol:

i am glad i didnt see it , coz it would make me feel sick , plus i hate the 2 faced people on it , like all good church goers and all that and they are horrid really (no offence any nice churchgoers , lol)
but it reminds me of the book "a child called it" where the family were "perfect" , big in the church etc.. and you couldnt have gotton any more evil parents they made fred west look placid !! and it all got overlooked coz they were "upstanding members of the church"
just pees me off :rolleyes:

Not necessarily.

My close friend, grew up together... is a Jehovah's witness. Her brother is also, but he later became a Born again Christian. We were sitting in the pub one afternoon (as Christians do :green: ) and he was listening to what I was saying about Tarot cards etc... and then he started talking and smiling... but not at me... anyways, turned out God was talking to him :eek: . Silly old me asked what he was saying :lol:

Anyways, this lad isn't mentally ill... has a good job.... a wife, step-children... nothing wrong with him in any way... aside from his one-to-ones with God occasionally.

That's what i mean! If he said "god" then it's all ok.
if he'd replaced the name god with - "Derek" then he'd be seen as a little more than eccentric........

I used to work as a PA to 2 Consultant Psychiatrists, and people with schizophrenia can live relatively normal lives. It can affect any walk of life from say a barrister to a tramp. Most people with the disorder can hold down jobs, study etc, etc. It is only when people act on their "instructions" that it is deemed dangerous, not only to themselves but to society.

So, not wanting to sound a big know it all, I think anyone truly believing they are recieving messages from another being should seek medial attention!

Im also glad I didnt see this aswell, I dont agree with smacking of any sort, there are plenty of good ways to discipline your child/children without using abuse.

Isnt the law against smacking children? I see plenty of 'mothers' smacking their children in public and I think it is a disgrace.

When our son was little i.e 3 we started to use the conservatory as a naughty room it this really did the trick. Now we seldom have to discipline him but if we do, we take his favourite toy away - at the moment it's his playstation which my nephew kindly gave him at easter. However, it drives me mad because as he is just approaching 5, he can't read all the words so every 5 mins he's shouting at me "Mum, what does it say"! :grr:

I didnt see this one but watched the Lois Theroux one the other day about the most hated family in america who preached that all homosexuals and all acceptors of homosexuality, which now a days is most of us, should die and deserved to die they even picketed iraq soldiers funerals shouting obscenities.I don't think they liked Jews much either.
Their small children were taught to hate and carry banners and all in the name of god.
No wonder people are turning away from religion with all the fanaticism and hypocrisy there is.

Isnt the law against smacking children? I see plenty of 'mothers' smacking their children in public and I think it is a disgrace.

I think loads of people are going to disagree on this thread, you will have a strong opinion either way on this topic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with smacking children. By smacking, I don't mean abuse of any variety, so lets get that straight from the beginning.

I was raised that way and corporal punishment was still allowed when I was in school.

My opinion is that because the world has gone all "PC" mad, and that teachers are not allowed to discipline children anymore and parent's aren't "allowed" to discipline children, that society has become the way it has.

There is zero respect from the majority of kids today towards their parents, teachers, other members of society, authority such as police etc. There is simply no consequence for a lot of the actions that are carried out by these kids, so it's "OK" to carry on being a little sh*t in society because no one is going to do anything or more importantly, no one is allowed to do anything. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's how I feel.

To be honest, I'd much rather have a parent discipline their child, than not give a damn and the rest of society then have to put up with the little twerp and his/her behaviour.

Marlise

As I said in my earlier post, there are far BETTER ways of disciplining your child than smacking it. I dont think that by smacking your child you are earning any respect from them, just scaring them into being good for you, as if they are not then they know they are going to have a smack.

Alot of people are going to disagree on this thread as you say Marlise, but imo, to smack a child is a lazy way of punishing them, teach them into doing the right thing.
jmho xx

To be honest, I'd much rather have a parent discipline their child, than not give a damn and the rest of society then have to put up with the little twerp and his/her behaviour.

Marlise
I agree with Marlise.
There is a line between discipline and abuse... they are two completely different things. If the discipline is taken to far, it can be abuse.

This is a highly emotive subject however, and sure to ruffle a few feathers, so perhaps best to say we all have different opinions and not to attack anyone who wishes to convey their opinion for having it... if you get what i mean??! (i'm not suggesting anyone has, as they havent - but just pre-empting it....)

xx

As I said in my earlier post, there are far BETTER ways of disciplining your child than smacking it. I dont think that by smacking your child you are earning any respect from them, just scaring them into being good for you, as if they are not then they know they are going to have a smack.

to smack a child is a lazy way of punishing them, teach them into doing the right thing.
jmho xx

I can only speak for myself and my siblings who were raised by being smacked when we really got out of hand, which I might ad was not very often at all.

My siblings and I deeply respect our parents, no if's or but's about it. I have raised my daughter the same way, and as far as I know, she respects me too. I have had loads of comments of people who always point out to me how well behaved my daughter is and then launch into complaining how they can't control their children and if only their children were as well behaved as my daughter etc etc. I very seldomly have problems with her.

I'm not saying smacking should be the ONLY form of punishment because I think that might actually border ever so slightly on "abuse".

I am not a lazy parent, nor were my parents. I teach my daughter right from wrong and explain things to her. But sometimes, taking their playstation of them, simply isn't enough in my opinion.

Marlise

I see plenty of 'mothers' smacking their children in public and I think it is a disgrace.

We are NOT here to judge others.

If i were to smack my son's hand that does not make me any less of a "mother" ??

I don't think so,this is different to abuse !

I think you often find in society the ones that have been regularly smacked or beaten are the ones that are the most trouble in society.It is a quick form of punishment and doesnt mean much at all especially to an older child.
I did slap my childrens legs when they were young usually for doing something dangerous.
I think a lot of people like the idea of corporal punishment in schools but would anyone really agree to letting someone hit their child i certainly wouldn't.
I think as children get older,i have a 12 year old son and 15 year old daughter,discipline is gained through respect not fear.I can't remember the last time i slapped my children but ive taken away privilages, which works,internet,going out etc.
Any breakdown in society isn't because of the lack of corporal punishment but i believe the lack of time and care in the family given to many children.
Many children are ferral by the time they become teenagers but they still have a need to belong somewhere which is why they join gangs.

Gee Whizz, what I have said is my honest opinion, as I have said!!!!! I do see plenty of mothers smacking their children in public, how am I judging them??????
I am not, it is a comment.
I also said that isnt smacking meant to be against the law?
If I am right in what I say, why is it still going on???

My comments are not personal attacks on anybody, jmho!!!

Having just read Gill's post I totally agree with what she has said! Is she judging others?? No just giving her opinion!!

I can only speak for myself and my siblings who were raised by being smacked when we really got out of hand, which I might ad was not very often at all.

My siblings and I deeply respect our parents, no if's or but's about it. I have raised my daughter the same way, and as far as I know, she respects me too. I have had loads of comments of people who always point out to me how well behaved my daughter is and then launch into complaining how they can't control their children and if only their children were as well behaved as my daughter etc etc. I very seldomly have problems with her.

I'm not saying smacking should be the ONLY form of punishment because I think that might actually border ever so slightly on "abuse".

I am not a lazy parent, nor were my parents. I teach my daughter right from wrong and explain things to her. But sometimes, taking their playstation of them, simply isn't enough in my opinion.

Marlise

Like you Marlise, I was smacked as a child and have on rare occassions used this method too, it's worked well for us too.

But this is completely different to what I watched last night. Imo there is a difference between a single smack (having given the child several warnings not to continue with said bahviour), then frog marching them to a separate room and using a stick or paddle two or three times.

I didn't post to cause a conflict of views:hug: , but I was just appalled at how these parents excuse their behaviour.

Like you Marlise I have the hugest respect for my Mum, she was a single parent, she never once smacked me or my brother. But instead gave us a talking to, gave us quiet time, and took away priviledges.

I agree that just taking away the playstation isnt good enough, that on its on isnt going to earn respect, but along with other forms of punishement, teaching your child right from wrong, would imo be heading in the right direction.

I have never smacked my children, and never will, and like you, I also get comments on how well my children behave. xx

Latest posts

Back