Snakeskin nail art effect in pink?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used starburst and high voltage to give a glittery pinky/purple underneath and then night reflection on top

its really nice, want it on my nails now :)

i know what you mean about needing 'runny' colours , i tried my pinks but it didnt work so well

Oh I love it! I've found Starburst is also a good 'runny' one to use as the top colour. It seems the thicker they are the less top coat disperses - older colours seem to be better here.

Oh I love it! I've found Starburst is also a good 'runny' one to use as the top colour. It seems the thicker they are the less top coat disperses - older colours seem to be better here.

starburst might be a good one to put over the paler pinks then.

would love to see all your combo's i just love this look.

how much extra would you charge to do a ful set like this?

starburst might be a good one to put over the paler pinks then.

would love to see all your combo's i just love this look.

how much extra would you charge to do a ful set like this?

I'm charging £1 a nail as most of my clients like to have it done as an accent nail on their ring finger. The price just covers that little extra time I spend doing it and I have had no complaints yet.

A full set, I'm not sure. Generally if I do a full set of my £1 nail art I charge around £5 extra, depending on the art. Sometimes doing a whole hand is just as easy as one finger, but I don't tell the clients that lol

I love this look, going to have play with this I think :) xx

Right, here are my pink samples. The middle one is my personal favourite.

L-R:
You're So Sweet with Gossip Girl
Sugar n Spice with Star Burst
You're So Sweet with Star Burst

Attachments

• 20130522_161151.jpg
    20130522_161151.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 449
I'm so sorry but can someone please explain how to do this effect that isn't with the netting? I've had a read but can't make sense of it, it's been a long day lol! :) it looks so fab!

I'm so sorry but can someone please explain how to do this effect that isn't with the netting? I've had a read but can't make sense of it, it's been a long day lol! :) it looks so fab!

Ok... lol

Put your base colours on, so what colour you want to see through the 'gaps' and cure (let's say Sugar n' Spice & Everything Nice). You may have to do two coats to get full coverage. Now we are at the stage you would normally topcoat - don't.

Instead, take your darker colour (let's say Star Burst) that you would like to create the 'gaps' through. Make this a thin wash of colour, doesn't have to be thick and it doesn't matter if you can partially see your base colour through it. Don't cure it.

Place a dollop of Top It Off onto foil (or where ever you can easily pick it up from) and dip a dotting tool in to this. Lightly place dots over the nail into your uncured top colour (Star Burst). I find placing them randomly, up and down the nail is effective and doesn't lead to all the dots/bubbles collecting together as they spread out.

Once you are happy with the result, cure. Then place a coat top coat over, cure and finish the nail as you usually would.

Hope this helps. :o

I love this effect :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I too love this look!! Gotta give it a try! thanks for sharing!

Love your pinks, they look great! How did u find using gossip girl as a top colour?

I did this one on the right the other week. I dotted slightly harder onto to nail and it gave the dot in the middle.
qy6e9e2y.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've so got to give this a go with Shellac! They all look fab ladies xx

Ok... lol

Put your base colours on, so what colour you want to see through the 'gaps' and cure (let's say Sugar n' Spice & Everything Nice). You may have to do two coats to get full coverage. Now we are at the stage you would normally topcoat - don't.

Instead, take your darker colour (let's say Star Burst) that you would like to create the 'gaps' through. Make this a thin wash of colour, doesn't have to be thick and it doesn't matter if you can partially see your base colour through it. Don't cure it.

Place a dollop of Top It Off onto foil (or where ever you can easily pick it up from) and dip a dotting tool in to this. Lightly place dots over the nail into your uncured top colour (Star Burst). I find placing them randomly, up and down the nail is effective and doesn't lead to all the dots/bubbles collecting together as they spread out.

Once you are happy with the result, cure. Then place a coat top coat over, cure and finish the nail as you usually would.

Hope this helps. :o

Aw thank you that helps. So the colour that's going eventually be the snakeskin look, does that just shrink back to where the top coated areas are?

I did this one on the right the other week. I dotted slightly harder onto to nail and it gave the dot in the middle.
qy6e9e2y.jpg

Looks super! How did you do the middle one? I really like that one too.

Love your pinks, they look great! How did u find using gossip girl as a top colour?

To be honest, as it's a bit thicker it didn't shrink back and make as great an effect as the more wishy washy colours. Plus I'm coming to the end of my bottle so it is probably a little thicker now. I will try it again when I get a new bottle.

Aw thank you that helps. So the colour that's going eventually be the snakeskin look, does that just shrink back to where the top coated areas are?

Yes, the last colour coat you put on and place the top coat dots in will create the effect. The colour shrinks back from where you have dotted the top coat creating those little holes to see the colour beneath.

Looks super! How did you do the middle one? I really like that one too.

This one was up in the blue and seafoam randomly patched on to nail - just 1coat and cure, then champagne and cure. Then deep sea and before curing take a small brush with acetone on and make a couple of wavy lines to expose colour underneath. And still before curing add a tiny bit of night reflection and sheek white alongside the same swirls then cure.
Then I put champagne over again and cured and then top coat and cure.
Sounds so jumbled but hope it makes sense!! Lol

qy6e9e2y.jpg

i love these too, thanks for the instructions, what colours have you used for the pink one?

i love these too, thanks for the instructions, what colours have you used for the pink one?

I *think* it was sugar n spice and sweet tart underneath and cure- then champagne and cure- then rendezvous on top with top coat dots then cure

This one was up in the blue and seafoam randomly patched on to nail - just 1coat and cure, then champagne and cure. Then deep sea and before curing take a small brush with acetone on and make a couple of wavy lines to expose colour underneath. And still before curing add a tiny bit of night reflection and sheek white alongside the same swirls then cure.
Then I put champagne over again and cured and then top coat and cure.
Sounds so jumbled but hope it makes sense!! Lol

Makes perfect sense! I need to try some of these myself, I didn't think I was that interested in nail art. Possibly because I never thought I'd be able to do anything that looks good enough to wear/sell. Thanks for sharing x

Latest posts

Back