So many choices-don't know what to do! Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaintyDoll

Reaction score
Good morning geeks,
I am never off SG and love all the help/advice everyone offers so maybe someone can help me with this big issue i am having..:Scared:
Right now i work full time in oil and gas (hate it but receive a good wage) & have my own mobile beauty buisness on the side and offer:

*Lash extensions
*Gelish
*Spray Tanning
*Basic waxing
*Manicure
*High def brows

Buisness has been well, and i LOVE what i do - which is really making me want to leave my full time job i hate and do beauty full time.

I have considered working in a salon full time (with my buisness on the side) to gain more salon experience BUT i am finding alot of salons are not interested as i do not offer everything and they want NVQS etc..

I have considered maybe renting a chair but i dont have the largest clientelle and i am scared i would not be busy.. and would not earn a good enough wage to live on

I have also considered college, which i would spend 2 years doing (3 days a week) but that would also stop getting an income and dont know if college really would be a benefit? Has anyone been to college and felt like it has greatly helped them?

Please help geeks!! i have tried to discuss with family and friends but they dont know what to advise.. it would be great to get some professionals advice! x

Nvq2 includes manicure, pedicure, facials, makeup, lash and brow tinting and waxing.

On this basis you would still be adding to your skills by doing an Nvq2. I think it would be worth looking around for a course at a suitable time frame and cost if you're already used to doing treatments :)

Nvq2 includes manicure, pedicure, facials, makeup, lash and brow tinting and waxing.

On this basis you would still be adding to your skills by doing an Nvq2. I think it would be worth looking around for a course at a suitable time frame and cost if you're already used to doing treatments :)
Thanks for getting back to me Laura, so do you mean just
pay for some more courses?
I feel that college NVQ 2 & 3 would be a benefit as it would be teaching me more skills and going over topics i have already trained in (might have picked up bad habbits or learn a bit more on the topic), however alot of people have said they feel college was a waste of time and you dont learn till your actually in a salon, unsure if want to waste 2 years of my life if thats the case a big wage drop would also be a bit hard to take X

Anyone? Really could do with some advice from people who already work in a salon or self employed full time x

Thanks for getting back to me Laura, so do you mean just
pay for some more courses?
I feel that college NVQ 2 & 3 would be a benefit as it would be teaching me more skills and going over topics i have already trained in (might have picked up bad habbits or learn a bit more on the topic), however alot of people have said they feel college was a waste of time and you dont learn till your actually in a salon, unsure if want to waste 2 years of my life if thats the case a big wage drop would also be a bit hard to take X

Education is never a waste...even though a lot of the learning curve happens post college, getting nvq 2 and 3 will open doors to most if not all beauty jobs....salon, spa, cruise ship, self employed, teaching, counter etc. If beauty is where you want your career to be in the long run it is well worth doing.

Hi

I was in the same situation, I trained privately, I got a job in a salon but was looked down upon because I hadn't been to college even though my practical skills were good.

However I started college last year doing level 6, yes I covered treatments I was already quAlified in but it done me no harm! And I love it! I eventually want to work in a spa so I need to do college. But I would definitely recommend it, I just feel a lot of salons expect you to have the college qualification behind you and it does teach you so much more than short courses. I feel like it's made me such a better therapist too and improved my confidence.

I was in the same situation and in September least year I was due to start an evening course for level 2 but not enough people were interested, so I now do the part time two days a week course, I have my college days as my days off from work so I'm on the go 7 days but I enjoy doing beauty so college isn't a chore :) see what your local college offers

Im thinking College might be the route to go down, as laure kate said - it opens many doors! i will just have to find a part time job and accept that i will not earn as much as i do now. X

Kinda the same situation I have lol I done a few courses privately and paid alot of money to do them and buy kits,I tried to go mobile with my business but felt I wasn't getting enough clients to improve my skills and I wasn't getting clients coming back because my skills were't great so was stuck in a vicious circle so gave up :( Ive decided that this is what I really want to do and have applied to college to get a qualification and hopefully get into a salon for a few years to build on my skills and confidence first and get a good client base built up :) I also need to keep my part time job for finance reasons,I have 3 kids and a mortgage so will probably be juggling alot but Im willing to stick it out and keep telling myself its not forever and at the end of it I will reap the rewards Good Luck! x

My college only offers VRQ what is the difference between this and an NVQ?
All beauty therapist job adverts ask for NVQ'S? x

My college only offers VRQ what is the difference between this and an NVQ?
All beauty therapist job adverts ask for NVQ'S? x

VRQ is a different awarding body, different assessment criteria (only one summative assessment) but it's still a qualification, no exams as you do written assessments.

NVQ you have more summative assessments and have a higher range to cover in practical assessments, plus exams and written assessments to do.

X

VRQ is a different awarding body, different assessment criteria (only one summative assessment) but it's still a qualification, no exams as you do written assessments.

NVQ you have more summative assessments and have a higher range to cover in practical assessments, plus exams and written assessments to do.

X

VRQ can be the same awarding bodies I've got city and guilds and VTCT VRQS you have exams, course work and both summative and formative assessments. In my both my VRQ it was all exams and no coursework as the college decided to scrap coursework and do all computerised exams. The VRQ is designed to be taught in college so is actually less practical more book work and NVQ is more on the job so more observations. They are both equal and I heard the Government is doing away with NVQs and moving more towards this QCF framework (credits modules etc) round here (London) all colleges offer VRQ now.

VRQ can be the same awarding bodies I've got city and guilds and VTCT VRQS you have exams, course work and both summative and formative assessments. In my both my VRQ it was all exams and no coursework as the college decided to scrap coursework and do all computerised exams. The VRQ is designed to be taught in college so is actually less practical more book work and NVQ is more on the job so more observations. They are both equal and I heard the Government is doing away with NVQs and moving more towards this QCF framework (credits modules etc) round here (London) all colleges offer VRQ now.

I agree they all seem to be steering towards VRQ.

My experience was from doing an NVQ level 2 beauty (2 years) and a VRQ level 3 massage at the same time (at the same college) as they changed to VRQ on my year 2.

I agree they all seem to be steering towards VRQ.

My experience was from doing an NVQ level 2 beauty (2 years) and a VRQ level 3 massage at the same time (at the same college) as they changed to VRQ on my year 2.

Ah yeah I think the colleges can probably structure it how they see fit. It's a good move for people who want to learn but can't get a work placement as it can be hard to get the proper experience.

I did my Level 2 at a private college in the UK but whilst living abroad. Because of my situation they accommodated me fantastically allowing me to complete the whole course over a matter of weeks during which time I stayed with friends and family.

Whilst academically this was fine for me practically I didn't get the hands on practice over a period of time (which you already have as you're doing it now). Obviously I attained the required level as I had to be assessed adequately and as I was looking to manage within this industry rather than practice, for me personally the lack of hands on wasn't critical.

Anyway - to get to the point - ask around at any local private colleges - see if they will accommodate your needs. Explain your situation and find out if they offer fast-track courses. Normally I wouldn't recommend it but as you appear to already have qualifications and experience I think they would consider it. It's likely to be more expensive than your local tec or college but you get the end result faster.

Good luck
Debbs x

Latest posts

Back