Soaking hands before mani... Good or bad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yadagi

Reaction score
Hi all ,

I have just finished my first mani/pedi course , and am reading and researching as much as I can before I start offering my services to the public.

I saw quite a few comments on FingerNailFixers page on FB saying that soaking hands in soapy water is not good and obviously I am now confused as this is what I was taught, and have had it done to me many times as well.

I am also going to do a Shellac Attack 1-2-1 course soon and will be offering Shellac,and I really do want to get my prep right .

Please advise me if possible with reasons for or against doing this, and if against what is the correct procedure to do?
I have read several times that a dry prep is recommended for Shellac , but what about normal manis and pedis?

Thank you all in advance

I read that post this morning too and ive been trying to find some info on soak free manicures. Just not sure how easy or practical warm oil manis would be mobile. Would also appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I was taught to soak many moons ago. I have since learned that soaking is NOT great for the nails and I no longer do water soak mani's. :)

I read this on Fingernail Fixers FB page today also.. Can someone pls share the steps of a mani without the soak?
Thanks x

I was taught to soak, by CND, a couple of months ago. I have always thought that this would not be good for the nails, but this is what we were told to do.

I think fingernail fixer was meaning the hot oil soak but my question is exfoliation? How do you do a manicure/pedicure without using water? X

I was taught to soak, by CND, a couple of months ago. I have always thought that this would not be good for the nails, but this is what we were told to do.

The CND milk baths are an oily soak first before you transform it to a milk bath , you would have also been tought by CND to do a moisture pack before soaking? Using the AHA and solar oil This helps to somewhat waterproof the nails whilest soaking ,

With shellac aplication and a spa mani you would pep and do your shellac device first and then continue with your spa manicure,

if you do not want to use water or have say a client with paret beeked nails you could use steamed flannles to remove masques and scrubs , this is lovely in the winter and refreshing in the summer , works for pedi's to x

I think fingernail fixer was meaning the hot oil soak but my question is exfoliation? How do you do a manicure/pedicure without using water? X

Since it is known that soaking in water is drying and can lead to stress fractures, peeling, etc. along with possible service breakdown because of swelling and shrinking of the natural nail--a lot of techs are moving to "waterless" services using warm damp cloths, spraybottles, etc. to remove masks and sugar scrubs and spray sanitizers instead of soaking in anti-bacterial soaks, etc.
And using a couple drops of oil on cotton wrapped fingertips followed by warm towels or heated mitts will soften the cuticles, eponychium and surrounding skin without over drying and is easy to pack around for those of you that are mobile.
IDK, why these methods are not taught as alternatives as yet in schools--it really is just as easy and better for the overall health of the nail. Just behind the times as usual--I guess.

Latest posts

Back