Some general advice/help needed please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktann

Reaction score
Hi :)

I am looking for some general help if possible as have been googling a lot and thought some of you lovely ladies may be able to give me some advice as I am a bit lost on what to do next.

Back in 2007 I did a level 2 vtct certificate in nail treatments, nail technology and nail art. Unfortunately I never did anything with it as I was ill and ended up having some lengthy stays in hospital so it all got left at the wayside :(

However I am now looking to pick it back up and continue :)

I am pregnant and so have been looking at home learning courses ( I cannot afford CND courses unfortunately as currently not working and also due to circumstance home learning will be better for me right now) i have been looking and also searched on here and see essential nails has a good rep and so am thinking of going with them.

My questions are as follows (may sound a little dumb so apologies, as I said my course in 2007 was left dead after completion and after googling am a little confused)

I spoke to someone at essential nails breifly by email earlier and said i was interested in doing the acrylic nails course (I did gel on mine in 2007) she said the most impt thing was to get my diploma so that I could get insurance and work on clients etc.

Would my certificates already cover this? As in Ive already done this? They don't say diploma but 'Level 2 certificate in nail treatments, nail techniology and nail art' (3 seperate certificates) I have looked on the VCTC site which says these are 'ready for work' qualifications...so is the the same thing as the diploma the lady mentioned??

Also as I completed the course in 2007 would i still be able to get insurance??

I remember quite a bit and im sure if I pull it all up and go through it all (still have all my HUGE folders of work lol) I will remember it all fine.

I want to do acrylics and i'd also like to do shellac so can I just go straight on to do these despite the gap in time?

Thanks in advance :)

xxx

would be very grateful if anyone's able to help :) xx

I would ring done insurance companies to ask - google nail tach insurance or search on here?

I have had a look and can't find anything, will carry on having a search :) xx

It like if you pass your driving test then 6 years later you decide to drive for the first time you still will have your licence you'll just need practise!

the qualifications you have mean that you are a qualified nail techncian and able to get insurance with whichever company you choose and start practising or charging clients straight away.

If you are saying that maybe you need a refresher course or to brush up on your skills or confidence then you can do either the CND conversion in L+P or Brisa Gel which includes all products etc that you need to start up with so very affordable. If after those courses you still felt that you needed a little more then you could book some 121 with your trainer which would mean that you would get the extra training in exactly what you need and could budget it to your needs also. As for shellac yes you are already qualified to use it and buy it but again the shellac brings them back course would be good for your confidencex

I would give sweet squared a call and discuss.

Thank you!! :) was just a niggle that I wanted to make sure of :) and what i got back in 2007 is equal to the diploma she is referring to? xx

the qualifications you have mean that you are a qualified nail techncian and able to get insurance with whichever company you choose and start practising or charging clients straight away.

If you are saying that maybe you need a refresher course or to brush up on your skills or confidence then you can do either the CND conversion in L+P or Brisa Gel which includes all products etc that you need to start up with so very affordable. If after those courses you still felt that you needed a little more then you could book some 121 with your trainer which would mean that you would get the extra training in exactly what you need and could budget it to your needs also. As for shellac yes you are already qualified to use it and buy it but again the shellac brings them back course would be good for your confidencex

I would give sweet squared a call and discuss.

Thank you very much!! that was really helpful :) How much is the CND conversion course do you know at all? I looked at some of their courses which were extremely expensive and there is no way i could afford that much, and i would like to do acrylics as I believe this is more popular? and so was looking at the essential nails course, they also do a shellac course so was thinking could do that after and maybe also the acrylic art? hmmm decisions.xx

My personal view is
Don't do the essential nails shellac course.
I'd say get yourself on an official CND shellac course (doesn't cost a lot), buy the starter kit and a few colours - that way you get a feel for doing nails again. You also get to see the quality of CND products and courses. Earn a bit of money and then do done refresher training.

NSI do refresher training for people like yourself that might be very useful. They aim some at returning tech's. You might want to consider that too. Maybe refresh your acrylics with them.

The CND conversion courses don't teach you how to do nails but about the science and techniques needed for the particular products. The CND products are great quality.

My personal view is
Don't do the essential nails shellac course.
I'd say get yourself on an official CND shellac course (doesn't cost a lot), buy the starter kit and a few colours - that way you get a feel for doing nails again. You also get to see the quality of CND products and courses. Earn a bit of money and then do done refresher training.

NSI do refresher training for people like yourself that might be very useful. They aim some at returning tech's. You might want to consider that too. Maybe refresh your acrylics with them.

The CND conversion courses don't teach you how to do nails but about the science and techniques needed for the particular products. The CND products are great quality.

Thank you very much, I will look in to all of this :) xx

will pm you but the qualification you have is far better than the essential nails course x

I have just been looking on sweet squared and it seems that the conversion courses are for established nail tech's. I have never done acrylics so need to learn that from scratch and brush on on gel. So it doesn't seem the conversion courses are an option from what I have just read. The courses for L&P is nearly a grand and gel just over a grand and i just can't afford that unfortunately, just impossible in current situation :( maybe in the future but Im going to have to look at alternative options.xxx

Latest posts

Back