Speed up filing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ongen

Reaction score
Hi geeks! As the title reveals, I’d love to get some tips on how to speed up filing a bit, both with e-file and finish filing for hand ☺️
For infills, I remove old product with efile and it takes me AGES (I’m using the tapered carbide bit from glitter planet but would absolutely be up for purchasing new ones if that could help). Try to be methodical but still takes forever (up to 8 min/finger if a lot of lifting), especially around the cuticle and side wall.
Finish filing I do by hand, my application could be better for sure, but even when pretty spot on I’m still lagging. Following Kirsty Meakins filing video on YT.
It takes me about 3h for an infill with colour any tips and ideas are welcome!! Xx

I'd come at the issue from the other direction. Filing is boring, it creates 'expensive dust' and steals time. Reduce the reasons for filing in the first place.

1) sculpt with your brush not your file - only put product where it's needed, shape it as perfectly as possible before filing. Imagine you don't have a file available so need to get it right with your brush. No adding too much product as you know you can file it to shape later. It's a waste of expensive products, time and energy. I was taught in my training that I should need nothing more than a 240 grit to finish a nail.

2) Eliminate reasons for lifting in the first place. That's either better initial prep, or better structure of long nails to eliminate the see-saw lifting at the cuticle. If lifting is at the side walls make sure you're turning the finger enough to ensure a correct seal down the sides. If its free edge lifting ensure you press the product all the way to the FE, don't just paint it down.

3) Yes clients will still turn up with lifting etc. But they should bwe he rarity not the norm.

4) if you are doing complex colour sets they will take more time, ensure you are charging enough to cover the time it takes.

5) Nothing beats face-to-face training. There will be techniques and tips we just can't give without actually seeing you working so some further one-to-one training would be beneficial. The trainer will be able to highlight certain things, it might be a change of bit needed, a confidence boost that you're doing it right, etc.

I'd come at the issue from the other direction. Filing is boring, it creates 'expensive dust' and steals time. Reduce the reasons for filing in the first place.

1) sculpt with your brush not your file - only put product where it's needed, shape it as perfectly as possible before filing. Imagine you don't have a file available so need to get it right with your brush. No adding too much product as you know you can file it to shape later. It's a waste of expensive products, time and energy. I was taught in my training that I should need nothing more than a 240 grit to finish a nail.

2) Eliminate reasons for lifting in the first place. That's either better initial prep, or better structure of long nails to eliminate the see-saw lifting at the cuticle. If lifting is at the side walls make sure you're turning the finger enough to ensure a correct seal down the sides. If its free edge lifting ensure you press the product all the way to the FE, don't just paint it down.

3) Yes clients will still turn up with lifting etc. But they should bwe he rarity not the norm.

4) if you are doing complex colour sets they will take more time, ensure you are charging enough to cover the time it takes.

5) Nothing beats face-to-face training. There will be techniques and tips we just can't give without actually seeing you working so some further one-to-one training would be beneficial. The trainer will be able to highlight certain things, it might be a change of bit needed, a confidence boost that you're doing it right, etc.
Fantastic Trinity, thank you so much for this thorough response!! Everything you say resonates soooo well with me. The heavy lifting IS a big problem (and not only in terms of debulking, of course)Right now, it’s quicker to do a new set than a rebalance :rolleyes:
A 1-1 would definitely beneficial. Will look into this.
Thanks again for the pedagogical reply☺️ I really appreciate it!

Fantastic Trinity, thank you so much for this thorough response!! Everything you say resonates soooo well with me. The heavy lifting IS a big problem (and not only in terms of debulking, of course)Right now, it’s quicker to do a new set than a rebalance :rolleyes:
A 1-1 would definitely beneficial. Will look into this.
Thanks again for the pedagogical reply☺ I really appreciate it!

You're welcome, I can't take all the credit, I had similar issues in the beginning, my Mentor kept saying come for a 1-2-1, I kept saying no 'I'm not throwing more good money after bad, I can't do nails, they're all crap, they lift' etc. In the end she just turned up at my house and said we're going to sort this once and for all :oops:

She watched me work for about half an hour and literally nailed all my issues immediately....most of them were all the stuff above. Plus one extra which was me putting way too much product in zone 3 which caused lifting. It was exactly what I needed, probably the confidence boost was most beneficial, I work alone so don't see my progress, only my faults, she gave me the lift I neede. My next rebalance was half an hour shorter :)

You're welcome, I can't take all the credit, I had similar issues in the beginning, my Mentor kept saying come for a 1-2-1, I kept saying no 'I'm not throwing more good money after bad, I can't do nails, they're all crap, they lift' etc. In the end she just turned up at my house and said we're going to sort this once and for all :oops:

She watched me work for about half an hour and literally nailed all my issues immediately....most of them were all the stuff above. Plus one extra which was me putting way too much product in zone 3 which caused lifting. It was exactly what I needed, probably the confidence boost was most beneficial, I work alone so don't see my progress, only my faults, she gave me the lift I neede. My next rebalance was half an hour shorter :)
Amazing! I work alone too and confidence is running low when I can’t nail (pun intended :p) the timing and of course the lifting. 1-2-1’s are incredibly expensive here in Sweden and hard to save up for and at the same time stay on top of maintenance...
I’m super thankful and touched for your help and taking the time to reply, I’ll definitely look into all these points and keep practicing and try to save up for a 1-2-1! Xx

try to save up for a 1-2-1! Xx

An investment in yourself is never wasted, it should be offset against your business expenses. You'll get more clients if you do nails that last, 3 newbies will pay for a half day 1-2-1.

An investment in yourself is never wasted, it should be offset against your business expenses. You'll get more clients if you do nails that last, 3 newbies will pay for a half day 1-2-1.
You’re absolutely right. I’ll start investigate this. Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back