Spoonie thread!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulabelle1988

Reaction score
Hi Everyone [emoji4]

I wanted to start this thread for any of my fellow Spoonies out there!

For everyone who doesn't know what a "Spoonie" is, in short, anyone who has a chronic illness / disease / syndrome will describe their self as a Spoonie! And that can be both physically and mentally, varying in debilitations!

Here's a little extract about the "Spoon Theory" which is a pretty good description for anyone who wants to understand what life can be like when your a Spoonie - have a read [emoji4] http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

I'm Louise and I have a few different illnesses / diseases / syndrome / conditions - not sure what half of them are actually classified as ha - I've popped a few in my bio if you want to have a look!

I thought this could be a place we could speak about how this affects us in this industry and also help raise awareness! And of course make new friends [emoji4]

I hope your all full of extra spoons!!!! XXXX

I'm not a spoonie but a close friend told me the spoon story last year. It really helps us non spoonies to understand.

Anyone reading this thread make sure you clink on the link as it really does open your eyes

Hope you have plenty of spoons to get you through the week xxx

Awesome!![emoji4] thank you!!xxxx

I have crohns disease, so I do consider myself a Spoonie.

Hi, another Spoonie here. I have ME.
I've used to Spoon Theory to describe my condition to a lot of people, even my mum!

Hey attitude!

I hope you don't mind me asking this - Do you follow a diet? I'm gluten free and a low histamine diet and meant to follow fodmap... But I do slip up a bit on the fodmap sometimes!

I was on a course recently and I told them before I was gluten free and I had other intolerances (other students were there) so they arranged some salads to come along with the food - at lunch I had nipped out to the loo and when I got back another student had taken my salad, good job I always have a supply of GF crackers and snacks!!

I take Colchicine for an inflammatory disease I have and it has helped to settle down my symptoms! I just thought I'd share incase this may help anyone [emoji4]

How have I never heard of the spoon theory? I am a spoonie and I didn't even realise it lol I've had an underactive thyroid for 11 years now and definitely have way fewer spoons than I used to!

Yay!!! I'm so glad you've found it now Pure!

Me too Makenna, I put it on my FB and I was surprised at how many of my friends took the time to read it - it really helped them to understand !!

Would I be considered a spoonie with gender dysphoria?

Hey Cassie, not to make light of your situation at all (I fully support you in your quest for peace and happiness), but I see Spoon Theory as a physical thing. We can't physically do things like "normal" people. We tire easily, can't eat sometimes, are physically sick, sore and in pain much of the time, etc. etc.

Generally the term Spoonie is used to describe people who have a chronic condition (physical & mental health) lasting longer than 3 months - how people are affected can vary largely.

I would say Gender Dysphoria as a chronic condition due to the hormonal imbalances that occur at conception, birth and throughout life - please correct me if I'm wrong Cassies97!

Hope this helps [emoji4]

Edit - I missed off half my sentence!

I think your fighting a battle with your body just like I am 1 it's draining both physically and mentally!

It's all open to interpretation I think [emoji4]

Hey Cassie, not to make light of your situation at all (I fully support you in your quest for peace and happiness), but I see Spoon Theory as a physical thing. We can't physically do things like "normal" people. We tire easily, can't eat sometimes, are physically sick, sore and in pain much of the time, etc. etc.

Oh not at all. I was just querying as the OP wrote mentally or physically.

That's just how I think of it. But it's whatever you want it to be!

Yeah defs! I think if the spoon theory helps describe how you feel and convey it to others than use it!!

Another spoonie here I have ME, fibromyalgia and joint hypermobility syndrome also being assessed for lipedema

My friend has fibromyalgia and the spoon theory really helped me to understand how she functions

I'm the same Blossom, thank you for sharing this X

Latest posts

Back