Spray tan from home, advice appreciated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jojo80

Reaction score
Hi, I've only recently decided to go into Spray tanning and was trained by LA Tan, I have set up a booth and spent quite a bit on solutions etc, what I would like to know is after receiving feedback from a client about a particular tan literally washing off the day after the spray I decided to invest in some more solutions, which again results have suggested that she is not content with the wash off result.....so far I've used LA Tan disco diva,fast tan and 12% from that range....I have Celebrity Secrets and Laurens Way samples arriving to try out, but my confidence is slightly knocked by their "knockdown" on the colour result.....they are happy when the tan is applied, the fade away and that it doesmt smell...but how many more can I try before saying you won't look like a mahogany door! I want to remain professional as this person is proving to be a popular source for word of mouth bookings, but at the same time I can't afford to be constantly purchasing samples because this or that company say its the darkest tan etc.....very frustrated!

aww some people just want to be orange its a simple as that!

trouble with the LA range is that their solution is "double dipped" which means it has double the amount of bronzer, so next day when the client sees their already double dipped guide colour on top of their developed colour and love it, they can get disappointed when the guide colour washes off.

I am on the quest to find the darkest spray tan with DHA and so far LA disco is the darkest I have found (my model who tried the LA fast tan and left it on all night said she didnt think there was that much difference between the 2). what you could do is say to her, this is the darkest tan on the market at the moment and given your skin tone and how your skin develops a spray tan, this is how dark you are going to go. i would sugggest that if she wants to go darker, offer her another spray the next day. If you think she is going to be a regular you could offer this at a discount like 2 for £xx. You could try adding booster drops to the tan but to be honest I wouldnt go this route. You say you are happy with your tan from LA so i would stick withthat because even if you do find a solution that is good for her, are yuo just going to buy a litre for her? will this be cost efficient?

I find spray tan clients can be a nightmare at times! It is rare for me now but if you are happy with your solution then stick with it, clients like that don't tend to be loyal anyway & jump from place to place. In the beginning I did refund 1 or 2 who claimed it was light, patchy etc but never now as I know the majority turn out great. I usually advise clients it hasn't went that way on other clients & it could be their skin etc, I don't want clients that expect miracles anyway as they do dent your confidence as you say.

Another problem is you have no way of knowing how they have prepared for their tan - have they put on moisturiser after showering & not told you, did they follow your advice for when the tan is developing, have they followed correct aftercare, the list is endless!

I use OMG tan & love it, my favorite so far! I have previously used fake bake, sienna x, vita liberata & crazy angel.

Good luck with your client, it sounds like you need it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I use OMG too and don't have any problems x

I use la tann and have never had problems. Even with my clients who like to be dark. They usually have fast tan and leave it overnight. I would speak to her and check she isnt moisturising etc before tan, is leaving solution on long enough and following your aftercare advice. I had a customer once who was adamant her legs wouldnt tan. Turned out she was using hair removal cream straight after washing off the guide colour, but she swore blind it was the tan!

Sent from my LG-E400 using SalonGeek

Hi, my client has used sunbeds and tanning injections before so when she says she wants to go dark, she really wants to be dark, I've asked if she uses moisturees etc and she swears blind that she doesn't and follows the pre spray and aftercare advice, I've gone so far as to be sprayed in the disco tan which is a colour I wouldn't go for personally and felt it wasn't as dark as it could be. As informed above it could be because its double dipped? I'm not entirely sure, but the client is very happy with my technique and service, its just we haven't yet found the perfect colour for her yet. So I'm.constantly researching all the darkest solutions available...but I'm slowly running out of options.

OMG have a 20% tan compared to LA disco which is 18%. Its also BOGOF on the website (selected fragrances) so a good chance to try it out. I've only used 20% on 2 friends who take very deep tans in the sun & they were delighted xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

That Omg 20% is dark! It frightens me lol as im really fair but is perfect for those who like to be really dark x

Hi I use OMG quite a lot and they have a 16% which is dark even for Bolton girls :lol: They also have a 20% which I have for one client who loves a mega dark tan - I think it looks scary but she loves it and she has it done pretty much every week.
If your client is after a "known" brand then Fake Bake do a dark version but I'm not keen on their solutions personally.

Latest posts

Back