Spray tans when pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebecca b

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just found out I'm pregnant. I'm mobile so I go to there homes. What I need to know is is it safe for me to still do them?

Congrats!

I'd say no to doing them in the first trimester.

Then, wear a mask for the rest of the time.
Maybe try not to do more than one or two per day?!

Ok thank you for your help :)

Hi guys, I've just found out I'm pregnant. I'm mobile so I go to there homes. What I need to know is is it safe for me to still do them?

There is no evidence that undertaking spray tan applications is potentially harmful to either mother or baby

That said it is important to minimise as much as possible inhalation of airborne over spray particles so best to wear a mask and ensure there is adequate extraction

HTH and good luck with the new addition to the family x

Thanks Collin

I spray through 2 pregnancies with no problems but I would suggest a mask.
I would actually be more concerned about carrying your equipment, I used to ask my clients if there where stairs, if so could they give me a hand. I slipped carrying my box on stairs, so frightening. Clients don't mind helping especially when your pregnant. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) has been through testing for topical application and it has been proved that it does not enter the blood stream through this method. However, atomisation of tanning solution creates an airborne delivery system that can easily enter the blood stream through the squamous epithelial tissue of the lung walls. There is currently no empirical evidence available on this topic and as such has not yet been deemed safe. It's not just the DHA that you need to be concerned about, all the ingredients in spray tan solution are being inhaled, such as volatile organic compounds and isobutane to name but two (obviously different manufacturers ingredients vary).

I won't do spray tanning in my salon, it's only manual and I advise pregnant women never to get a spray tan as it's too easy for these ingredients to pass to the developing foetus, there is too much potential for genetic and endocrine damage and until solid evidence is available I will continue to recommend that pregnant women avoid it.

If you wish to continue giving/receiving this, a simple dust mask is not suitable, research an appropriate respirator.

Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) has been through testing for topical application and it has been proved that it does not enter the blood stream through this method. However, atomisation of tanning solution creates an airborne delivery system that can easily enter the blood stream through the squamous epithelial tissue of the lung walls. There is currently no empirical evidence available on this topic and as such has not yet been deemed safe. It's not just the DHA that you need to be concerned about, all the ingredients in spray tan solution are being inhaled, such as volatile organic compounds and isobutane to name but two (obviously different manufacturers ingredients vary).

I won't do spray tanning in my salon, it's only manual and I advise pregnant women never to get a spray tan as it's too easy for these ingredients to pass to the developing foetus, there is too much potential for genetic and endocrine damage and until solid evidence is available I will continue to recommend that pregnant women avoid it.

If you wish to continue giving/receiving this, a simple dust mask is not suitable, research an appropriate respirator.

I offer spray tanning, but for the above reasons is why I will stop completely when pregnant.

I think having one spray tan for an event at 6 months pregnant, compared to doing 2+ per week for 38 weeks is the difference.

It hasnt been tested safe for lips & the inside of your nose tissue let alone inhalation. Which is why masks are recommended.

At the salon I use to work at, we had dust masks. In the end We stopped using them ad we still ended up with tan up our noses!

Xx

Latest posts

Back