Staff problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
Reaction score
i opened my salon last monday. i have 2 beauticians and 2 hairdressers. one of my hairdressers has already had one day off sick. she was 2 hours late last week and today she hasn't turned up at all and i haven't heard from her at all. one of my beauticians also called in sick today and then said she didn't want to work any more. all the girs work on commission. i know it has been quiet but i have only just opened and i explained to them all that it takes a while for things to pick up. my other 2 girls have been great.
what i want to know is do i still pay them? i paid for my beautician to have a spray tanning course and now she has just left. my hairdresser has completely left me in the lurch. what do i do? some people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well if they work on commission have they earnt any thing?? you shouldnt have to pay if they arent working their notice. Also i know it's hindsight but i wouldn't have paid for them to get trainning this early and I would have had a clause in their contract that if they left before they had done to cover the cost of the trainning it would be taken out of anything they were owed, some people will do this if they think they can get trainning and run with no consequences. I would just forget them now and concerntrate on thanking the girls who are working hard and letting them know its appreciated, once they are booked up a bit more then do a new recruitment drive. we all have to learn form our mistakes hun dont take it personally like you say you havent been open long and some people just dont want to put the effort in (all enthusiasum at the interview and a complete dissapointment after :mad:(....).
Keep going you and your loyal staff will reap the rewards :mad:)

if u can cope with 2 girls on commision then i would stick to those two working for u, they will both feel like they'v got more off a chance to earn money now, it will build their clientelle quicker as they won't be fighting so much for what comes in, and ahappy staff front will do wonders for ur business.

get them some advertising, flyers etc to encourage people to come to them.

as for training, i to think you should have a clause for providing training and the length of employment, some people dont have conscienses (cuse the spelling!) and will only use what they need u for so maybe its going to be better to find employees already trained and then as time goes on if u want to pay for their training just pay for top up skills

all in all use this as a learning block, as will happen when starting something new.

have they earnt anything yet? maybe if ur contract allows u can take their earnings as payment for training?? best check legally where u stand

Having recently had 2 girls leave I know how you feel at mo but I have to say I was fully covered for notice etc.
Do they have a contract? does it state they must pay back any training if they leave? How much notice do they have to give?

After all that is sorted do you really need 5 of you in there can you survive with you being the senior therapist and having the 2 others to support you?

Make sure they girls know that you do not require their services anymore so you do not have to pay any further costs and also so they cant just swan back in.

Latest posts

Back