Staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherylj45

Reaction score
Help!!! I've got a self employed member and an emplyed member of staff, which is a pain in the ass to be honest. Can anyone give me advice please? What can I do legally about mobile phones ect and contacts?

I think you need to be clearer about what you are asking.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Are your staff using their phones at work? Your employed staff member can be given rules and guidelines but I imagine the self employed person renting space/a room/a chair inside your salon would need to use their phone for clients, advertising (if they use social media), contacting suppliers etc so I don't think you can impose a ban during working hours. Just ask that discretion is used and personal calls are made/taken in private between clients. It's their business and how they choose to run it is up to them. I think this is what you mean anyway. Hope this helps

She's self employed on a 60/40 basis 60 to her. She doesn't get any of her own clients nor does she do any advertising. I do everything. I provide towels/tea/coffee/cleaning equipment. She. Just pays 40 % for all that. Think I'm being ripped off really. I was just wondering If I could specify about personal mobile usage during work hours?? X

She's self employed on a 60/40 basis 60 to her. She doesn't get any of her own clients nor does she do any advertising. I do everything. I provide towels/tea/coffee/cleaning equipment. She. Just pays 40 % for all that. Think I'm being ripped off really. I was just wondering If I could specify about personal mobile usage during work hours?? X

No you can't really.

She isn't your staff, she isnt employed.

She rents a space in your salon. If your unhappy with the % you get then you need to look into it. You should of sat down and worked out what is included in the 40% and what you expect.

Who provides the products for the lady to work with?

You need a rental agreement as you are the landlord. You don't need a contract unless she is an employee.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds like you provide a lot for 40% if you are unhappy with this then review it by all means, dependant on what type of agreement you have. Verbal/written or monthly rolling/annual etc depends when you can review I believe.
I'm afraid you can't tell her when it's acceptable to use her phone. Same as you can't specify working hours or uniform expectations for example, because it's all up to how she chooses to run her business out of your premises. By all means if she's having loud personal conversations in her phone in front of your clients you can ask her to take it outside or staff room from a good manners point of view but that's it really.

No you can't really.

She isn't your staff, she isnt employed.

She rents a space in your salon. If your unhappy with the % you get then you need to look into it. You should of sat down and worked out what is included in the 40% and what you expect.

Who provides the products for the lady to work with?

You need a rental agreement as you are the landlord. You don't need a contract unless she is an employee.

Thank you. Great advice x

Sounds like you provide a lot for 40% if you are unhappy with this then review it by all means, dependant on what type of agreement you have. Verbal/written or monthly rolling/annual etc depends when you can review I believe.
I'm afraid you can't tell her when it's acceptable to use her phone. Same as you can't specify working hours or uniform expectations for example, because it's all up to how she chooses to run her business out of your premises. By all means if she's having loud personal conversations in her phone in front of your clients you can ask her to take it outside or staff room from a good manners point of view but that's it really.

I'm feeling like I really need to get organised now. Only been open a year and I'm now seeing that I've made lots of mistakes x thanks so much. This site has helped me out a lot lately xx

What I do is have a contract for the renter then have separate salon policies, the policies are on the wall out the back for everyone too see (juniors, staff & self employed) you can't tell her not to use the phone but you could educate her on WHY it's not good to be sat on ur phone all say in front of clients and impressionable juniors, I never do the running to get clients for other people but as your on a percentage spilt I see why you would lol as for advertising that's a dodgy line with hmrc they tend to see it as more of a partnership than serious self employment so maybe you could consider asking her to market herself (might give her a boot up the arse ;) )

Can I Just ask how you decide who to book people with. The employed or the self employed.

I rent out rooms to therapists who have nothing to do with beauty so we have no grey area and I get my money regardless of their clientele.

I just wonder how this works.

As regards to using the phone, I think it would be perfectly acceptable to insist she uses it in her room, not walking around the salon as it is the room she is renting. What she does in there is up to her.
I really think she should be getting her own clients. Are you fully booked? I'd be inclined to book my employed therapist first as she costs you money.

Just a few thoughts.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back