Stamping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
I have never been successful with stamping. Can someone recommend a good stamping plate and polish when using gel polish and shellac and also the process they follow. Do you wipe the tacky layer etc? I really want to get good with this but it just doesn't transfer properly when I try and do it with Shellac polish and I am not sure the cheap plates I bought from my local beauty shop are any good x

I have never been successful with stamping. Can someone recommend a good stamping plate and polish when using gel polish and shellac and also the process they follow. Do you wipe the tacky layer etc? I really want to get good with this but it just doesn't transfer properly when I try and do it with Shellac polish and I am not sure the cheap plates I bought from my local beauty shop are any good x
I use mayou London plates and polishes. It’s tricky, I literally practised over and over and over on loads of nail pops. I can do it fine now. So I do all my gels with top coat and remove tacky layer so they are finished. Then I stamp whichever nails they want and do another top coat on those nails. You need to be quite fast so the polish hasn’t dried by the time you stamp the nail. If you push the stamper too hard on to the plate the design won’t transfer properly and equally if you press the stamper too hard on to the nail it won’t transfer properly. I found the most forgiving colour to start with is silver and pick designs that are easy to transfer, so maybe a single flower, not too complicated that you need to get in exactly the right place. There’s also loads of helpful videos on YouTube x

I use mayou London plates and polishes. It’s tricky, I literally practised over and over and over on loads of nail pops. I can do it fine now. So I do all my gels with top coat and remove tacky layer so they are finished. Then I stamp whichever nails they want and do another top coat on those nails. You need to be quite fast so the polish hasn’t dried by the time you stamp the nail. If you push the stamper too hard on to the plate the design won’t transfer properly and equally if you press the stamper too hard on to the nail it won’t transfer properly. I found the most forgiving colour to start with is silver and pick designs that are easy to transfer, so maybe a single flower, not too complicated that you need to get in exactly the right place. There’s also loads of helpful videos on YouTube x

Thank you so much. This is really is very helpful. I have been looking at the moyou plates. I was annoyed with £6.99 delivery charge though :) I am defo going to give this a go. x

I started with konad stamping plates and stamping polishes. Very reliable results. The polish dries quickly.

If you do your background colour, top coat, cure & wipe away tacky layer - then stamp onto this.
Using this method if the stamping goes squiffy , you just wipe it off and have another go!

Thank you so much. This is really is very helpful. I have been looking at the moyou plates. I was annoyed with £6.99 delivery charge though :) I am defo going to give this a go. x
Yeah that’s a lot of money, they do bundles where you can get a few polishes. Stamping plates and stamper so makes the delivery charge a bit more bearable!

I started with konad stamping plates and stamping polishes. Very reliable results. The polish dries quickly.

If you do your background colour, top coat, cure & wipe away tacky layer - then stamp onto this.
Using this method if the stamping goes squiffy , you just wipe it off and have another go!

Do you know I did try Konad back in the day. I remember this working but was using traditional polish at the time. I totally forgot about this. Thank you x

I use clear jelly stamper plates and stamper and also moyou london plates and clear stamper. Although plates are expensive, they are a huge hit with clients. I do have issues with my gel top coat shrinking after I stamp. If anyone has a fix for this please let me know. As is,I top coat and flash cure each nail to prevent this. I've used Akzentz Shine On and Gelish Top It Off. Top It Off is better but still not great. Any advice is appreciated.

I have used about every brand of stamping on the market, the ones with best results for me are Moyra and Clear Jelly, i find that their Stamper’s and polishes are the best, personnelly it’s down to the Polish you use to get the best stamping, you also have to be quick from scraping to placing image on the nail, stamping polish dries very quickly hence the need for speed, hope this helps

I've just discovered stamping and I use moyra stamping plates and stamping gel. I also have wildflowers stamping gel as well. Stamping gel takes the rush out of things plus you can use foils and glitters with your designs and get creative. I like a clear stamper and have more success rolling the stamper to get a clear image. Hth

I do a lot of stamping and Born Pretty plates work fine, as well as MoYou in my experience and being much cheaper you can afford to experiment.

Use any high pigment straight nail polish, the thicker the better to get a good pick up. Old, gloopy nail varnishes are often the ideal consistency! If you are happy to spend a bit then Twinkled T stamping polishes are fab too.

Clear silicone jelly stampers can be kept clean using low tack surgical tape... a roll of that is easier to pack and carry about than a lint roller.

Apply a generous blob over half the design, scrape lightly once or twice (not too much) over the whole, pick up with a little roll but not pressing too hard so you don’t get a distorted image. Immediately apply to the nail by firmly pressing the stamper, best not to roll at this stage as it’s then possible to distort the pattern that way. Pressing firmly will help you get the design on around the cuticle and nail wall much better.

The only down side to stamping is that it always takes an age for customers to decide on a design, worse than choosing a colour! I’ve solved this a bit by grouping mine into themes to narrow the field.

Moyou London do free delivery over a certain amount i spent £30 and got a free delivery. Just incase anybody wants to order in future.

Sarah R & Dixie Girl xox are good to watch on YouTube

This one thing help me when I pick up stamping first time. Instead of just pushing stamp on Nail it help me more to press and roll very softly for big stamp design.
If you want to make a design smaller or bigger than nail plate has it you can do this too by squeeze the stamp when picking up design or stretch it when picking up design

Attachments

• 49287918-C174-400B-A7B3-FC937D39BAFE.jpeg
    49287918-C174-400B-A7B3-FC937D39BAFE.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 21
I tried stamping for the 1st time tonight using moyou Londons stampers, plates and i got the trio set of black knight, white knight and a cuticle guard. ive managed some stamping good enough to put on my nails. So i would definetly go with moyou lots of geeks reccomend it too for 1st time stampers. Noyou have stampers and plates in the sale and you could just get a couple of polishes to keep costs low and try out the product. Watch some videos as already advised.
Dont scrape to hard and dont press to hard. Press stamp down asap on the nail so paint doesnt dry. Seems to be working for me. Good luck!

Practise makes perfect and my best advice is to not press too hard when stamping. Try different pressures when stamping and you will get it right and i would say it's more of a roll on/off than and actual stamp with very little pressure.

Latest posts

Back