started my course beauty nvq2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah21

Reaction score
I started my course last week and i dont like it i feel to old as i with all the 16 yr olds and there all very anti friendly ive tried talking to them but get nothing back i get ignored they leave me out at dinner and breaks i feel like im at school again which i hated so i think im gonna leave i know my family will be dissapointed but im not happy or should i carry on just for the family im just so confused with it all as im not sure beauty is my dream anymore i feel like ive wasted time

Sarah - talk to your tutors first and explain how you feel to them. It has only been a short while so give it a little longer before you decide.

Hey Sarah

Well I am just completing NVQII and have been doing it part time, we have got a variety of ages in our group (I am 27) and it seems to have worked well, I would say give it a while as I always think it seems worse at the beginning, how old are you (if you don't mind me asking) and are you the oldest in the group?

It would be such a shame for you to give up, maybe swap onto a part-time course if not (as there seems to be older people as they usually work aswell) and give that a go, I wouldn't have liked to be in a group with all 16 year olds either.

I hope it works out for you

xx

I would keep going, you have to give it chance. Maybe if these girls are all young they dont know how to talk to you, they may feel a little threatened by you being older and may not mean to leave you out.:hug:

Hi

When I did my NVQ2 I felt exactly the same. After about 2or 3 weeks it was all different as by then we had done treatments on each other. Also some of the 16 year olds just didnt know what to say to me as they did not have the life experiences if that makes sense.

I found it strange as some of them were the same age as my son!

It just takes time for them to get to know you and have something in common to talk about. I couldnt talk about my latest boyfriend or going to get drunk at the weekends at the nightclub etc.

After a few weeks everyone kind of settled down into their groups and I was included but it did feel weird for those first few weeks. I thought about giving up aswell and I spoke to my tutor so have a word with them as they are there to help and it is surprising how much they will have picked up on the dynamics of the group you are in.

Hope it all goes well for you and dont give up as I really enjoyed my course in the end.

Lisa
:hug:

don't give it up !!! I felt the same way when I started my part time Beauty Theraphy course ... I was 39 or so with a whole load of 20 year olds ... ok there was one or two of us "mature" students .. but in the end they didn't have the committment.. it wasn't as easy as they thought !!!! and those that were left eventually found out that we oldies can have a laugh and joke the same as them !! hang in there .. it'll be worth it

Give it a little longer before you make a decision that you might regret in time.
It's early days when people don't know each other before friendships are formed.

I have just done my level 2 beauty and I'm 37! I think I was the second oldest in the class.

focus on what you want to get out of the course - which is a qualification, not friendships. If you happen to also gain new friendships (which you WILL) then view that as a bonus.

Don't give up your dreams!!!!!!!!!

im with you all, give it alittle bit longer, I am 39 and doing my beauty course at college part time was at times not easy.
You are there for YOU, they are your collegues and at the end of the course you may never ever see them again....you will be fine, I am embarking on my level 3 in a weeks time..and Im doing it for me, my future and am going to make the best I can out of it
Teresa

hi ya when i first started my hairdressing i was 16 (yikes years ago ) and there was a lass i swore i would totally hate , thought she was up herself total opposite to me and we ended up best mates :lol:, she was just very shy , so maybe the girls are a bit scared coz you are a bit older ??
give it a few weeks , we had older lasses in our group and got on fab with them all :green:hth xx

Dont give up! Most of these courses are mixed ages, mixed personalities, you name it. Go for it. As mentioned before, speak to your tutors about how you feel.
You've gone on the course to learn new skills which will benefit you in the future.
I finished my level 3 this year. I've never met such unpleasant people in my life (not all of them). I dont know how they will make it in the industry as we do have to be friendly and tolerate people even if we dont like them!
Dont fall at the first hurdle - keep going:hug:

hi ya when i first started my hairdressing i was 16 (yikes years ago ) and there was a lass i swore i would totally hate , thought she was up herself total opposite to me and we ended up best mates :lol:, she was just very shy , so maybe the girls are a bit scared coz you are a bit older ??
give it a few weeks , we had older lasses in our group and got on fab with them all :green:hth xx

Lol I had the same experience - my first impression of someone in the class was 'What a geek'. She turned out to be the nicest person in the class and I now work with her. I told her what I thought too!:)

Latest posts

Back