Starting a hair salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htxx2

Reaction score
Im wanting to open a hair salon as iv been mobile now for 5 years and want to progress more and earn more. Im wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea how much i will need im willing to start small and progress. Aloso can you rent a salon or do you have to buy the lease whats the cheapest way of doing it? i cant afford to buy a lease. I have a figure of around £10,000

Well you can probably fit a salon out for 10000. Cheaper if you buy secondhand furniture. It is advisable to have a cash reserve for your own expenses, at the very least for the first year. Most salons fail through lack of cash, not lack of profit.
Would you not be better off torent a chair in a salon first, to get a feel for running a salon, and to get used to a (smaller) overhead before committing yourself to paying a lease for the next ten years?
Even a very busy mobile works very differently to salon stylists, and it may be a good idea to go back into a salon situation first for a while.

Well you can probably fit a salon out for 10000. Cheaper if you buy secondhand furniture. It is advisable to have a cash reserve for your own expenses, at the very least for the first year. Most salons fail through lack of cash, not lack of profit.
Would you not be better off torent a chair in a salon first, to get a feel for running a salon, and to get used to a (smaller) overhead before committing yourself to paying a lease for the next ten years?
Even a very busy mobile works very differently to salon stylists, and it may be a good idea to go back into a salon situation first for a while.
I have worked in a salon for years and years and had knoledge of how to run one i went mobile as i have children and wanted my own hours when they were small, now they are at school i feel ready for my own place im not afraid of hard work and dedication. Thanks for advice, think i need lot of research 1st!

First and foremost is the marketing part, rest all can come into place once you start the work
But you need to find which type of marketing works there (specific to the locality) and how much is the average spending for an year, because this alone will determine your bottomline when it comes to profits
Also dont expect much in the first year, but definitely be persistent in your efforts and carry on

Good luck with opening your new salon - it's so exciting!

You should definitely set up a facebook and twitter page - it's completely free and can work really well to spread news of your opening, any special offers and news.

I decided to use Easydry disposable towels when I set up my salon. THey are cheaper than using a laundry or washing towels yourself in the salon. They saved me so much space too - I don't need a laundry room or a space dedicated to a washer and dryer. It could also be a way to get press coverage from local papers if you're the only one in the area using them - it's a unique selling point.

Fresh flowers add so much to a salon atmosphere and they don't have to cost a lot.

Negotiate with all suppliers and tradesmen to get the best deal. You should make the time to get quotes before you buy any product or service - 3 quotes lets you find out the best price. But make sure you're comparing like with like.

Best of luck with it!!!

Hi
I hope this works...sorry new to this.
Not sure if this is of interest but I have a fully equiped hair salon room in a large health and beauty building in Kettering Northants I am offering it for a lot less than you are quoted.
If you are interested you can contact me at [email protected]

Or is any one interested in free rent deals ????

Latest posts

Back