Starting hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weezie

Reaction score
https://skillsology.com/course/details/Beauty-Scho
I have been thinking about doing a course in hairdressing I am initially going to do this 18 week course evening: Hairdressing: Basic Women?s Hair Cutting, Hair and Beauty, South Thames College and then see how I feel about it after that. I really fancy the challenge of something different.

I asked someone at my local college about it and they said that there was no point in doing the NVQ there as all the students were very young, uninterested and would make it annoying to try to study properly. Also that some could hardly hold a hair dryer-this worries me!

If I wanted to only do private clients (I run my own mobile beauty therapy business) is there anything stopping me from doing this course and then a advanced hair cutting course and a colouring course with a brand e.g Wella.

Another thing that puts me off the NVQ is the fact I would need work at the bottom of the chain in a salon for a pittance which I would find a bit degrading as I am nearly 30, plus I need to keep my business going as I'm busy! Has anyone gone down this route? :hug:

Hi, there is nothing at all stopping you from taking this route
and if you topped up with lots of private courses your hairdressing should be as good as anyone elses :)
the only thing that may cause you a few problems is colour and the chemical knowledge & understanding that goes with it
as you will need to know the theory of it all as well as the practical ,
but if you are going to be doing it this way ,there are plenty of good books and plenty of good dvds ect to top it up with ,
there is a good hairdressing training site on here who offer this top up training at a reasonable rate ,

http://myhairdressers.com/

and with plenty hands on private training experience with colour models
you should be just fine ,
the only other thing is that you won't have an NVQ certificate

but if you have the passion to learn and keep learning you will make a good hairdresser
and it wont matter which route you take or what certificates you have :hug:

Hey Minky thanks for that very positive posting. I will be studying very hard to be the best I can be if I start this. I am a bit of a perfectionist actually which can be a bit of a nightmare! Thanks for the advise. :hug:

Hi Weezie

I wish I was nearly 30 again!!! LOL You go for it girl!!!!

Meriden x

Hi, i've just applied to do the NVQ hairdressing in september and i'm (ahem) 35! I know its a bit long in the tooth to start something like this but like you i'm up for the challenge! My college are offering the nvq on an evening course and they have specifically designed it for mature students. Also the criteria for in salon training is only 4 hours a week and us 'oldies' have been given a list of salons that prefer older trainees. It may be worth speaking to your college to see if they provide anything like this?? xXx

Hey Lady Stardust, thanks for the advise, apparently the adult course is only for foreign students where English is a second language. The day course it 3 full days a week they don't have an evening one unfortunately. :cry:

Ah shame, good luck with it anyhow! xXx

Latest posts

Back