Starting my own business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurajd28

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, and I'm looking for some advice. I currently have a full-time office job, and to be honest, I'm sick of working for someone else and not having any job satisfaction. I want to be my own boss and enjoy going to work!!

I'm really interested in doing a nail technician course and working on a mobile basis around my full-time office job, until I have the confidence and money to set up my own salon.

I have got my heart set on having my own business, I've got a name, logo etc.... and have even started doing price lists!!! I'm constantly doing research!!
I'm just worried about actually quitting my full-time job and becoming self-employed.
Did anyone else feel like this when they were first getting into this type of career?

It will be at least a year until I even start looking at premises, as I don't want to become self-employed until I have bought a house with my partner, as it would make it difficult getting a mortgage.

Any tips or advice would be fab!!!

Laura xx :)

I don't know whether my experience will help you in any way but this is exactly how I started out, not nails though, general beauty.

I worked evenings and weekends around my job for about 6 months and then asked at work if I could drop one day a week and do the office job Monday to Thursday. I then did this for another 6 months until I had built a half decent client base. During this time I also started to look for a room to rent. I then stayed there for a good while before opening up my own salon.

Good luck with it all, it is a fantastic industry to work in, just don't think that you are gonna make mega bucks really quickly. It may have happened for some and I hope it does for you, but don't be disheartened if it takes a while, it will come, honest.

Hi Laura,

Your going to be self employed whether you keep your office job and go mobile or if you quit you job and open a salon:). However the extra income from self employment whilst you keep you job will help you get a mortgage.

Joe's advice is excellent and more or less exactly what I did. Work your fledgling business around a guaranteed income (your office job) until you've built up a sizeable clientele and then take the next step....

... good luck:)

Jes

Hi ya

I am currently in the same position as you.

I currently work full time for a Civils company and dieing to leave so I can go mobile as a Nail Tech. My plan is to work four day’s a week Mon-Thur from January 2010 and work Fri-Sat building up a clientele for my self, I do evening’s when my husband can look after the kids too.

I start my nail course Jan 2010, I would love to do this sooner but have used all my annual leave for this year :rolleyes: I worked in a salon many years ago so have about 2 years experience under my belt doing nails but time and confidence has had a bad effect on me. As I was self tort I feel it is better to go and train to be fully qualified professional, I’m sure my confidence will come back then !

Mean time I’ve bought everything I need and practice load on my self, family & friends and have a few repeat customers already so I guess I cant be that bad eh?

If I was you I would do something similar cos you may find it very hard to get a mortgage if you were to leave your current full time job now. Maybe leave it just a few months after you have your mortgage and see how it goes then. Money is gonna be very tight at first and you may find that you only make enough money to cover your costs on products and not profit, you don’t want to loose you dream house as soon as you get it.

Hope that helps hun, let me know how you get on.

Hi Laura,

I have just become qualified about 3 months ago and have been setting up a salon at home. Have been handing out flyers for about 2 weeks now and have had about 3 enquiries, 1 booking but she did not show. I am working full-time as a office administrator and doing this around my job. I am also studying diploma beauty therapy 2 nights a week but I can say that it is so worth it cause I am miserable in my office job, so boring!:mad:
I know that it will take alot of blood, sweat and tears to get there but you just need to be committed if it is what you want, trust me it's not all going to be easy but I love it and would not change a thing:hug:

Candice xo

Latest posts

Back