Starting out as a mobile tech...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem81

Reaction score
...I know you have to be insured, but what else do you need to do? Do you have to register as self employed? Do you have to register as a business? Do you have to register with any other local authorities? I'm not due to qualify for a few months yet, but when I do I want to know what I'm doing and I want to do everything properly and by the book!

Thanks all. :)

hi gem. yes you are right about the insurance u do need that its really important. u do need to register yourself as self imployed for tax and national insurance purposes u can either ring them or just go on their website. i think u have 3 months to register with them but i did it straight away as then its done and out of the way. good luck with everything and finishing your course x

Yes it is 3 months, they will send you information on how to set your own biz up, you can also attend a couple of free courses with them, the first ones about.. what you can claim for and the other.. how to do your tax online.Goodluck.:)

You dont have to register with local authorities like environmental health as you are mobile but def insurance and call inland revenue (i found them very helpful) and they send you loads of info on how to fill in the dreaded tax form.

For now - keep all receipts of your equipment, products, training etc including towels, stationary etc etc etc towards your tax form as you can put these down.

hth

You dont have to register with local authorities like environmental health as you are mobile but def insurance and call inland revenue (i found them very helpful) and they send you loads of info on how to fill in the dreaded tax form.

For now - keep all receipts of your equipment, products, training etc including towels, stationary etc etc etc towards your tax form as you can put these down.

hth

Oh my goodness I am such an idiot. If I had a brain I would be dangerous. I have bought alot of equipment and not kept ANY reciepts. Oh well, I know now!

To be honest it's the whole inland revenue / tax issue that is scaring me. My dad has his own company and his tax bill every year nearly cripples him. This is what scares me. I don't want to get myself in the sh*t as I have been in debt before and worked awfully hard to get out of it. I don't understand it though which is really the issue. :irked:

Hun dont worry I did the same - only remembered AFTER I registered etc etc, just keep them all from now on! :hug:

Just for info i worked for 4 months of last tax year and did not pay any tax at all - i am part time, and didnt earn enough to be taxed.

Just put everything down that you use for your business like your phone, washing and drying of towels etc - hopefully your dad can help

pm if you need any more help xx

Latest posts

Back