Starting small, will it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I am about to do my sunless spray tanning and warm waxing training in the next few days :green: but I can't start my foundation acrylic nail course until the end of August :cry:. I plan on doing the hard wax course very soon too.

I have been offered a room by a friend who owns a busy hair salon, Thursday, Friday evenings and Saturdays, rent free for the first 3 months :) then we'll work out a rate (depending on how busy I am as I still work school hours at my other job).

Will it work? Do you think I can make a solid foundation to begin with by just offering waxing and tanning which will enable me to reduce my hours in my day job? The hairdressers will promote me by handing out my business cards and leaflets to their clients (of which they have many), I am going to do leaflet drops in the local area and also my sister will provide word of mouth for me. I plan to expand my repetoire and continue to invest in my education once I have mastered these few :)

Did anyone else start out with just a few treatments and made a success of it?

Please, I'd love to here your stories :)

Hi There:hug:
I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your future. I think that you will do just fine adding your treatments as you go along. My stepmum started a beauty business with only doing nails, then gradually added waxing, Tanning and facials. She had plenty of clients from the start and she keeps the clients very interested by adding more treatments!
I also knew a friend at college that started off just doing Tanning. Again after a while she added more things.
If you are a friendly approachable person (which im sure you are) people will come to you.
Good Luck hun and keep me posted:hug:

the oceans are made of small rivers (or something lol)

go for it.
we've worked with a kind of "beauty street" (in a street of a town basically everywhere you could have a treatment, and every beauty tech would promote the services of the others depending the clients will)

it worked well until some techs started talking crap about the other and finally the biggest salon took over and offered everything and got all the clients and benefits.

this to say, you can obviously get there starting little. but you have to master every service you offer.

Hiya
That's what I'm planning to do too. Starting off with the basic/essential treatments like waxing and nails and when I get more time and demand to work longer hours I'll look at expanding my treatment range.
Good luck hun

definetly go for it.

but try and get something more solid with your friend so you know what you will be needing to bring in to make it viable.

definetly go for it.

but try and get something more solid with your friend so you know what you will be needing to bring in to make it viable.

Hi girls and thanks for all your replies :)

I will have another chat with her before I start to try and get something more concrete, I tried to broach the subject with her on Thursday when I saw her last and that's when I said about the 3 month review. If I think about it, I think she's a bit embarrassed to take money from me!

The thing is, until I build up a client base, I won't know how much to offer as a rent (I'm not going to go the percentage route, I know that much) as I will probably still be working my other job during the day so will only be doing 4 - 9 Thurs & Fri, and 9 - 2ish on Saturday's as that's when the salon closes (later if clients want it though as I have a key). Do you think £25 per week to begin with sounds reasonable?

The other thing is that some clients will have been gained by me and some will have been introduced by the salon, so where would that leave me if/when I want to leave? WHat have others done in that situation?

Again, thanks again for your replies :) and I'd love to hear some more opinions please :)

Sarah. xx

hey alll the best of luck with your business.

just remember hun Small steps before giant leaps you will need your training yes but you will also need time to practice what you have trained with. just friendly advise hun :hug:

Yes it will work. As long as you´re the best at what you do, people will seek you out.

Have faith in you talent and skills and stay positive. There will be highs and lows but just keep on keeping on. Good luck to you. xxx

Thank you girls for your replies :), I wondered if I should start a new thread about this (I may do if this doesn't get read again) but I just waxed my first two paying clients after my training (mobile) and it was fantastic! Of course it was great to actually bring some money in, but I loved the way I felt after doing them because I knew I had done something to make them feel better about themselves.

The first lady was a bikini wax, she'd never had a wax ever, I talked her through everything I was doing, she didn't have any spot bleeding which I was expecting and she tipped me and re-booked for 3 weeks time AND the following 3 weeks after that as she would be going on holiday and I said I couldn't let her go 6 weeks after explaining about hair growth cycles.

The 2nd lady is a friend of mine who was in desperate need of her brows shaping, again, although she has had it done loads of times before, I explained everything I was doing. She normally goes a really angry red colour and her eyes water so she warned me that it wasn't anything I would do, it's just what happens. Well, her eyes didn't water once, and I had to scoot once I'd waxed her, and even before I left, you wouldn't have known she'd just literally had her brows done! She was well chuffed and gave me a pound extra too and booked me in for a spray tan next weekend!

I'm well pleased :green: and I love it!!!!

Congratulations! The first of many happy clients I'm sure :)

Yay sounds like business is getting started for you!! xx

Latest posts

Back