Starting wages for newly qualified hairdresser?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArabianBeauty

Reaction score
What are the starting wages for a newly qualified (from college) level 3 hairdresser, with no salon experience, 21 years old, in the greater London area? I'm interviewing for my first staff member next week and can't find many examples online, thanks

It would be £6.70 per hour as that is minimum wage for a 21 year old

I meant that is the minimum per hour obviously you can pay anything above this

Thanks, yes I know that's the minimum wage.. But would that be the starting average wage for a freshly qualified lv 3? Or would they expect to start on more than minimum?

I think most do NMW plus a commission % when they hit certain targets which you set.

Yeah I would agree that a commission is a good idea as she/he is starting with no clients so you will have a while that you are paying them to sit around a lot while they are building their client base. I've seen salons in my area get into financial trouble by promising too high wages and the stylist isn't actually bringing in enough to cover their own wages at first. You have to think about what you can afford as well as them making enough money to stay around, so NMW plus commission on targets and retail seems right to me.

Latest posts

Back