Steps for L&P removal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmJZ

Reaction score
I have some questions for all you L&P users. I have a client that has booked in for Friday. She would like her acrylic removed and gel applied. Being as I am only trained in gel, not acrylic, could someone talk me through how to remove them?

I know from other threads that they are soaked in wraps just like gel and Shellac...but do I need to file first? and how long should they soak? Also, how will I know if they've soaked long enough? Do they flake up like gel/Shellac? or will I need to buff off after soaking?

Any advice would be appreciated! TIA :)

Everyone removes l&p differently, there's not one right way to do it. Personally I use manicure bowls with acetone in and soak it off that way because the wrap method takes forever with l&p. I file the surface of the nail first to break the seal then immerse the fingers in th acetone and leave for 15 mins. Then I scrape gently at the product with an orange wood stick (it will have gone jelly like). Then put the hand back in the aceton and check again every 10 mins until the nail is completely free of product. It usually takes me about 40 mins when I do it this way.

If this is someone elses work you are soaking off, make sure she hasnt been to NSS as those will take ages to soak off, also check the thickness because a bulky nail will take longer to soak off, and make sure she hasnt got a gel topcoat over them that wont soak off, and if she has just file it off first.

If you use the bowl method its a good idea to gently warm your acetone because it speeds up the removal process. To do this put your acetone in small glass bowls, then put these bowls into larger bowls containing very hot water (but not boiling). This heats the acetone gently, under no circumstances try to heat it another way eg microwaves, plug in heated mitts, uv lamp etc.

When her l&p is off you may want to gently buff the nail with the smooth side of a koala, and you'll definitely want to apply plenty of solar oil, but if you're applying new nails do this at the end.

If there is a gel sealer on top then they will need to be filed first to break that seal. Then soak them with acetone for minimum 20 minutes. They will flake/peel right off if it is a high quality brand of l&p. My biggest tip is dont take the wraps off too early to check the progress. When you take off the wraps the l&p hardens again quickly. I've experienced this first hand when training and it ended up taking forever because I kept checking. I would say leave for 20 and then check. Also, I generally debulk the nails a bit before soaking.

Forgot to mention that if you are using wraps use as little cotton as possible and saturate it really well. If you use too much cotton it just soaks into the excess cotton and doesn't penetrate the l&p well enough.

Sorry didnt realize you had posted as well!

If the client is happy to transition you don't have to remove acrylic. You could do all your steps for a refill/rebalance then apply gel instead.

Thank you all so much. It helps a lot! :)

Latest posts

Back