sterilisation - again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me the best method of sterilising for mobile manicures and pedicures?! I have just bought a sanitising spray from 'The EDGE' that says it is hospital grade etc. Is it sufficient to soak tools at end of day and use the spray in between, or do they need soaking in between? I havent used this spray before and guess its similar to mundo sprays..

Also, could sterilising them using a disinfectant like milton overnight be any good (havent done this myself but i remember one of the girls at college saying about it).

We were taught at college about glass bead, autclaves etc but are they mainly for salons?

You need to get the correct terminology for what you are trying to do. You cannot sterilise something with a sanitiser or disinfectant - they will sanitise or disinfect.

Sanitising spray should be sufficient for spraying files between clients. Check the instructions on the product and if it says it is a tool disinfectant for use soaking overnight then that is what it is used for.

Hope that makes sense.

Hello,
i bought that spray and my tutor said that it was a sanitiser as i like washing with soap and water, not a disinfectant, i use chlorispray to disinfect tools etc from hyperion group, but i think milton would work if you were planning to leave for hours. I am mobile too and have disposable pedicure bowl liners to prevent cross infection.

hi, thanks for your replies! So, i dont need a glass bead steriliser or anything like that then? A santitising product is sufficent? Along with soaking at the end of the day using something like barbacide or similar?

Do you have to do a risk assessment for health and saftey or do u not need to register with them? I will be purely mobile and will be working in clients homes only (will not have clients at my house). In my area, you dont need a license from the council..

hi, thanks for your replies! So, i dont need a glass bead steriliser or anything like that then? A santitising product is sufficent? Along with soaking at the end of the day using something like barbacide or similar?

Do you have to do a risk assessment for health and saftey or do u not need to register with them? I will be purely mobile and will be working in clients homes only (will not have clients at my house). In my area, you dont need a license from the council..

Check this site out mate...I use the products all the time.
mundo

Hello again,
from what i have been taught, please correct me if i am wrong, is that to sterilise between clients is not necessary and not practical , and that disinfect (unless you are working on someone with a fungal/bacteria infection) is what you do to prevent cross contamination. Sanitising is basically washing something which isnt enough. You need to disinfect your items between clients make sure that the product you use is a disinfectant not just a sanitiser.:):)

Even when mobile, disinfecting inbetween clients needn't be a problem.

Buy a disinfectant that works quickly (some need only 5 minutes) and one that doesn't need rinsing.

Put some in a screw top jar and immerse them in the solution whilst packing up after a treatment.

Leave them for the required time, let them dry and pop them in a pouch (like a sterilisation pouch) or tupperware tub.

You can get disinfectant solutions that DON'T need changing daily - there are some that last for upto a week. This is perfect for mobile use and gives peace of mind that tools have been thoroughly disinfected.

Latest posts

Back