Sterilisation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bexnorm

Reaction score
I'm just doing my manicure and gel polish course and the section about Sterilization it says that cidex, marvicide and formaldehyde are what is to be used for chemical sterilizing of equipment. But when I looked up cidex it said it had been stopped from sale and I've seen a lot of people say they use barbicide to sterilise but my course info says that's only a sanitizer? Can someone please help, I've no previous experience and really want to know what I need and some need to buy when I pass and get set up! Thank you!

These are different things:
• sterilisation is what hospitals, dentist/medical environments use as such an autoclave machine. As we are not drawing blood we do not need to sterilise in the UK. You can use an autoclave if required but it must be tested on a regular basis to make sure it is running effectively. Thee cost approx £800+.

• Sanitising is what salons/nail salons use as we are not drawing blood. Sanitising is sufficient for metal implements/ sanitisable files/buffers etc - Barbicide or Mundo are highly effective solutions. Implements are left in the solution to sanitise.

• Disinfecting - this is where we can disinfect nail desk, equipment, implements etc. This is normally a spray.

Sadly some colleges are still using out of date text.

These are different things:
• sterilisation is what hospitals, dentist/medical environments use as such an autoclave machine. As we are not drawing blood we do not need to sterilise in the UK. You can use an autoclave if required but it must be tested on a regular basis to make sure it is running effectively. Thee cost approx £800+.

• Sanitising is what salons/nail salons use as we are not drawing blood. Sanitising is sufficient for metal implements/ sanitisable files/buffers etc - Barbicide or Mundo are highly effective solutions. Implements are left in the solution to sanitise.

• Disinfecting - this is where we can disinfect nail desk, equipment, implements etc. This is normally a spray.

Sadly some colleges are still using out of date text.

Both Mundo Rapid and Mundo Power Plus Instrument and Tool Disinfectants are medical grade disinfectant products. They are amongst the most technically advanced disinfectants available and are bactericidal, virucidal, fungicidal and sporicidal.

Surfaces are disinfected, skin is sanitised. Some products claim to sterilise, but as there is huge debate between sterilising and disinfecting, some people state you can only sterilise with an autoclave. This isn't necessarily true - but I'm not going to enter a debate about this as it's a real can of worms!!

The bottom line - stick to a medical grade disinfectant - and ideally a modern formulation which is designed for modern diseases!!!

You can sterilise using a pressure cooker, it uses heat and pressure the same as an autoclave. My degree is in microbiology and this is what we used often in the labs at uni as they are cheaper than autoclaves.

There is no need for the nail equipment to be sterile and as soon as it is removed from the autoclave it will be contaminated. Disinfecting with a good disinfect is fine and will make the equipment as clean as it needs to be.

Thank you! I just wanted to make sure as was basing it on my study material. If you were to break skin when working on cuticles what would you do in your standard practice? Would Medical grade disinfectant still be ok?

I know it's very rare to break skin but in past of having my own nails done it's happened to me with two different nail techs. Sorry I'm one of those people that over thinks everything! Haha!

Great tip with the pressure cooker!

I bought an autoclave for my metal implements, as I am paranoid about fungal issues etc and I have complete piece of mind while doing my treatments that my implements are 100% safe and ready to use.

I also find an autoclave in the long run cheaper as once off which as equipment can be written off on the books for tax vat etc and depreciation plus overall saving on other methods which is not cheap either now days for a decent baracide solution.

Latest posts

Back