Sterilisers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapphireBeaux

Reaction score
Can everyone put down which sterilisation methods and equipment they use please, particularly those who use electric / metal tool cleaners etc and which brand. Thank you. I'm hoping to see what products are current and the safest and cleanest for our clients.

I work in dentistry and infection control is a large part of my job. The only piece of equipment that will sterilise equipment is an autoclave.

'Sterilisers' bought from beauty wholesales do not achieve high enough temps nor the correct pressure for true sterilisation to happen.

Most salons use cold disinfection methods.

Baby bottle steriliser xx

Thank you for the replies. I know it's not illegal to not use an auto clave in this country. (No comments on if it should, im just saying) and people use uv light boxes and barbicide etc. I want to know what most people buy. And if so which brand?

An auto clave is ideal. But if not, what are the next best options?! X

It's not illegal to not use an autoclave in the beauty industry, however if you are not using one, you can not mislead clients in to believing tools are 'sterile' or 'sterilised' when they are clearly not.

They are disinfected using cold disinfection I.e Mundo etc

Sterilisation happens at 134oc and at 2.2 bar pressure in an autoclave

Milton baby bottled sterilising tablets dont sterilise, it is cold disinfection, as it can not kill some spores and viruses

If Milton did sterilise stuff the medical and dental infection control guidelines would not state we have to use autoclaves, instead we would use bleach or good old milton etc

It's not illegal to not use an autoclave in the beauty industry, however if you are not using one, you can not mislead clients in to believing tools are 'sterile' or 'sterilised' when they are clearly not.

They are disinfected using cold disinfection I.e Mundo etc

Sterilisation happens at 134oc and at 2.2 bar pressure in an autoclave

Milton baby bottled sterilising tablets dont sterilise, it is cold disinfection, as it can not kill some spores and viruses

If Milton did sterilise stuff the medical and dental infection control guidelines would not state we have to use autoclaves, instead we would use bleach or good old milton etc

Yep I believe that clients shouldn't be misled and technicians should be educated better on this so as not to mislead clients. What do you suggest as an alternative to an auto clave? If there is such a thing that is the next safest?

It is enough to disinfect in manicure and pedicure procedures. You don't need to sterilise.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I suggest you read everything Doug Schoon has written about hygiene in nail salons. Sterile equipment is virtually impossible and not necessary.

However, good disinfection on some tools is necessary.

I suggest you read everything Doug Schoon has written about hygiene in nail salons. Sterile equipment is virtually impossible and not necessary.

However, good disinfection on some tools is necessary.
Episode 7 (I think) of Face to Face goes into this in detail: http://facetofacewithdougschoon.com/free-content/episode-7-member-content (pretty sure it was 7, he talks about the definitions of sanitisation vs disinfection vs sterilisation, can't see it in the blurb though so I'm not entirely confident but this ep is free so you can see it either way). I would highly recommend subscribing, it's an awesome series!

Latest posts

Back