Strange looking and strange feeling extension hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi just wanting some input about some hair I am testing at the moment
(just testing it for a for a favour ) as someone is trying to pass this rubbish hair off on to them as being Russian hair :(

one particular bundle has been coated and most of the hair is running in the same direction but under closer inspection it shows that the texture has been mixed with some thicker hair of different origin ..... but a few hairs all the way through the bundle have been turned the wrong way rendering the whole bundle useless ,

the hair actually feels lank smooth and unnaturally cool between the fingers you can feel the coating ....... but you can still feel all the intact cuticles

it is a level 7 at the root and proceeds to go to a level 10 at the mid lengths and ends but at the ends it looks just like a swimmers hair .....you know that certain feel and shine a regular swimmer gets!!

I notice also each individual hair gets thinner and more brittle from the root going down towards the ends , I am thinking this has been acid bathed , the colour is slightly patchy too

I have a few more chemical tests to run on it yet , but if anyone can throw up any more ideas ? about why its very dry and extremely very shiny at the ends I would appreciate any ideas about it ......

I too will come back with my findings ..... thanks minky :)

Any hank of hair will come from many different people, as a reverse draw will take out the longer hairs, then mid length, then short.
Sounds like a real amateur hair merchant who doesnt know what he's doing.
Colour wise, a poor bleach job, or bleached too quickly, hence the uneven effect.

Any hank of hair will come from many different people, as a reverse draw will take out the longer hairs, then mid length, then short.
Sounds like a real amateur hair merchant who doesnt know what he's doing.
Colour wise, a poor bleach job, or bleached too quickly, hence the uneven effect.

Hi thanks persianista yes your right ... very amateurish looking,

its suposed to be passing off for pure natural virgin Russian hair
(yeah right!!!) its not natural virgin Russian hair at all.

it has been lifted to an unnatural patchy level seven
so as you said a very poor job and very unevenly bleached with something very harsh,
I doubt its even seen a drawing matt or hackle as its still got loads of shorter hairs in it .....
its just this really unnatural shine and feel at the mid lengths and ends ,

hard to describe ..... actually looks like its been sprayed or dipped in swimming pool bleach and lemon juice and left it the sun to lighten
its so wierd ,

:idea: ......hey, its just dawned on me as to what it reminds me of ......

it actually looks like that 1970s / 80s horrid box stuff that people used to spray on thier hair to lighten it ? .......
can't think of the name now but the one with metallic salts in it ?!! and raw peroxide ,
it's even got the classic same uneven sprayed look feel and texture ,

sooo got a bit more detective work to do on this just yet lol

I must admit there is one beautiful sample of fine hair amongst this load of rubbish ,

thanks persianista :) minky

:lol::lol: lol yep your right , Sun In that's the one !!!... lol
it looks like its been sprayed with that awful stuff.... I reckon one of persianistas cats would have done a far better job lol x :wink2::)

Lily is very particular that her fur is bleached evenly all over!

Judging by what I read on here, and what I hear elsewhere, there are lots of shysters jumping on the "russian" hair bandwagon. I got told a little while ago that 99% of the hair bought online is Asian, passed off as European and Russian.

Lets face it, the average ext fitter with a coup0le of days training is not gonna know how to tell the difference, hence all the "I had hair ext, and they are knotty rats tails" threads we get on here.

Correct bleaching off head is a skill and art, it is ultra slow, and usually takes about 3 weeks.
Minky, try dunking a sample in perm lotion and another bit in peroxide, It will soon tell you if they used something like sun in as it will either fizz or discolour.

Lily is very particular that her fur is bleached evenly all over!

Judging by what I read on here, and what I hear elsewhere, there are lots of shysters jumping on the "russian" hair bandwagon. I got told a little while ago that 99% of the hair bought online is Asian, passed off as European and Russian.

Lets face it, the average ext fitter with a coup0le of days training is not gonna know how to tell the difference, hence all the "I had hair ext, and they are knotty rats tails" threads we get on here.

Correct bleaching off head is a skill and art, it is ultra slow, and usually takes about 3 weeks.
Minky, try dunking a sample in perm lotion and another bit in peroxide, It will soon tell you if they used something like sun in as it will either fizz or discolour.

Hi persianista .... yep got a battery of micro tests lined up to perform tonight on all of the hair samples
I send back a full detailed report on how each hair sample performs
its blind testing ..... they are just labeled A B C D ect

I just do the tests and let them know my findings ,
and yep it will includes the test you just mentioned too ,
can't do them till later on tonight though have to wait till hubbys in bed as some of them will stink the place out lol .....
I will let you know how it goes I too have a sneaky suspicion there is metallic salts present though :) minky

Hi, well I tested all the hair samples and on this particualr lightened one sample .... there was no metallic salts present ....

but on closer inspection some of the hairs in the sample were running in the wrong direction , making it loop and become very very bunched and sadly rendering it all usless hair ....
the ends I think had been lightened with raw peroxide or something like sun in or pool water and was so patchy looking it felt like it had been heat sraightend a lot ,
I think this was the major problem as the cuticles were so compressed on the ends they wouldnt even open up allow a conditioner penetrate ....

anyway out of the three other samples only one was pure virgin hair of the highest quality .... no coatings at all ... so this could have been the only Russian hair sample , it was extremely beautiful hair and all root to point correct with a slight wave and so very lightweight ,

The other two samples were of dark origin very fine straight lank hair.... but coated to make it straight ,after taking the coating off it was wavy and straggly it was single drawn or not drawn at all .... with far too many shorter hairs within the bundle,
it was cuticle correct hair of a very fine texture but I would say more like Indian hair with poor ends due to the sun etc ...
but definately not Russian hair... which they were trying to pass it off as
:) minky

Hi, just an update on the extensions hair ..... the chemical that was on them was sodium hypochlorite and is used as a disenfectant to cleanse the bulk extension hair from nits and lice .... now this can be used for many things even the substance inside fillings can have it in .... ( very controlled )
unfortunately it lightened the hair and left it patchy and bleached looking

I do know of quite a few ways to eliminate nits and lice .... which I have suggested ..... but preferably ways that are free from pesticides ....
so if there are any other ideas I would be grateful
so all you brainy ones out there ..... can you please pm me with any ideas thanks in advance :) regards x minky

How much did this hair cost?

How much did this hair cost?

Hi foxyemm :) ..... sorry I should have made my post a bit more clear lol,
I'm only testing some samples of hair for a favour .... not buying it
:) minky

Latest posts

Back