Striping Hell

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprinkles

Reaction score
Could anyone point me in the right direction for a good striping tutorial?

I can't do nail designs with stripes as for some reason I am completely poo at them! They are too thick most of the time :irked: and never very straight :irked:, I'm not sure I'm using the brush properly :irked: . It's starting to get very annoying!!!:irked:HELP ME PLEASE, IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS !!! :evil:

:cool:Thankyou xx

There is a technique to withdrawing your striper brush from the bottle but I honestly don't know how to explain it to you.

You kind of swirl the brush round the neck of the bottle as your taking it out.

It still leaves paint on but not excessive amounts and it is all exually spread over the brush!

This doesn't make sense does it?

erm.. first I want to say I am very grateful for your reply, thankyou for your help :hug:

but the second is....eh? what? :lol:

I'm sure it's me, I don't understand anything unless it's in big letters and comes with colour pictures!!! lol :o

LMAO!

You know when you take the brush out of the bottle - instead of just pulling it straight out, as you take it out swirl it round the inside of the bottle neck so your taking off the excess paint!

WOW!!! your avater changed between replies, hee hee, bit of a shock!

I'll definately try your technique when taking the brush out of the bottle, as I do tend to wipe/dab it on the side to remove excess, thankyou !! :wink2:

It is hard to explain what I mean but I can picture myself doing it! LOL

also keep a steady hand or rest it on your other hand, wrist.

make sure they are not too thick or too runny as well.

what kind of paint are you trying to stripe with? something like acrylic paint or polish?

btw, if it's acrylic paint, you might want to add a little water to it to thin it out. mine gets thick when it's starting to get old and really goes to pot.

oo,oo,oo! another reply!

I have the nubar stripers and acrylic paints and can't get a decent chuffing stripe out of either! :irked: I do have a long thin nail art brush but am wondering if there are any really thin ones (now I'm blaming the tools!! :o ) as I've seen some other techs striping and the lines are really thin and straight.

Thinning down the acrylic paints might work well tho, thanks for that xxxx:hug:

you could always give a striper brush a trim.... make it have 1 hair

plus when i use my striping brush, i don't really brush it on. i kind of lay the brush on the nail and pull it across. the brush stays parallel to the nail, not at an angle (you'll get globby stripes that way, with all the paint running down from the handle to the brush)

plus (again!), i take my brush out of the bottle and clean it (brush and handle) off with water before i make the first stripe. then i dip it into the paint or i'll pour a little paint onto a paper plate and lay the brush in the paint that way (then draw it out of the paint in one smooth motion). if you lay it in the paint you won't get more paint on the tip and less at the top. make sense?

also, if you use a striper brush they come with less hairs, but you could also just cut some of the hairs out of your current brush, always start with a clean "wet" brush and if you are just makeing "swipes" pull the brush part way across the nail and then quickly pull up and off the nail, this gives it a tapered look at the end, and looks very elegant and "finished"
Happy Striping!
Grace

me again!

just wanted to say thanks for all your help :hug: , after thinning down my brush (by over half!), reducing the amount of paint on my brush and making sure the paint's thin enough, my striping is much, much better :green: , still needs some work but miles better than before :green: :green:, thankyou xxxx

Its hard to describe how to do a stripe, but I will try..... lol

You start off with the brush on the edge of the nail where you want to begin the stripe, but with the bristles pointing the wrong way, i.e if you are striping across the nail from left to right your bristles will be pointing to the left.

Then you do your stripe in a sweeping motion (like a pendulum sp?) across the nail, rather than dragging the tip of the brush across the nail, until the bristles now face right.... hope this makes sense!! you do a sort of flicking motion with the brush... backwards and forwards across the nail for tiger stripes, or all one direction for flicks..

As you near the end of the stripe the brush will leave the nail making a thinner, more tapered pointed line, not an even thickness that you would get if you just pull the brush along...

Try practising on a tip and you will soon get the hang of it. I use waterbased acrylic paints and if you make a mistake you can wipe the paint off with a damp tissue and start again, dont think that the Nubar ones wipe off but I might be wrong!

hth x

thanks for your reply Sherrie,

I will definately try out your method, thankyou xx :wink2:

Come on Selina I wanna see some pics! LOL

hee hee , I think my striping problem may be solved (been practicing :green: ), but figuring out how to load pics onto the computer and then on to here! OMG ...that's a whole new thread :Scared: , I'll get Paul to show me how and try show you some soon!!! :wink2: xx

Latest posts

Back