Stuck in a rut

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel87

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been hairdressing for 8 years and after reading hundreds of posts on here about colour correction and colours to use i have no idea what you're talking about! Crazy that after 8 years I actually feel I don't have the experience that I should.
I work in a salon with clients aged 40+. They mostly have all over tints, cut and blow dries then perms and sets for the older clients.
If ever I hi light I use bleach - mainly with 12% as usually I'd be hi lighting over a tint.
I have never hi lighted then toned - when you talk about pastel I have no idea what you mean!
I have never given a client a whole new image eg from brown to blonde/ blonde to red etc.
I have never done a graduated bob, or anything trendy, just the basic layering.
I have considered getting a different job as after reading things on here and seeing your work I don't feel confident or feel as if I know what I'm doing.
I have 2 young children so finding work that fits around them will be difficult, the hours I work at my salon suit me perfectly.
I'm so confused and really do feel I lack a LOT of skills. If a new blonde client came in and wanted her roots doing so that it matches her existing blonde I wouldn't even know what to do there!
I'd really appreciate any advice you have, thanks x

Omg hunny! You need to get out of there! Sorry i cant offer anymore advice but i know as a hairdresser myself id be bored working there lol! X

Aww bless ya heart. Don't be too hard on yourself :) if you contact your local collage or even supplier, I'm sure they offer refresher or advanced cutting and colouring courses.

You already know the basics and that's all you need to progress :) x

I would try and go on a few courses. Maybe get some models in the salon to try out some new techniques/ colours etc. people love being models! I worry as I'm mobile i won't know how to do the latest trends but I have a friend and Aunty who let me experiment on them lol X

Maybe do some course with capital hair & beauty. Don't rely on your salon to train you. Have you considered going mobile? Best thing I ever did since I had my son x

Going on some courses will do your confidence the world of good, you'll feel so much better and want to try out new styles, different colour techniques and finishes But on the other hand you are the hairstylist it is part of your job description to come up with new ideas, recommend new styles and different colour combinations to your clients, you can't say they're all old fashioned if your not willing to suggest something different every now and again.

The salon owner is not a fan of freebies or advertising or models, she basically relays on her existing customers as she makes enough money to cover what she needs. I work in a small salon - just 3 of us - it's a bit of a fuddy duddys salon, we never really get new clients, not young ones anyway. Plus the majority of them don't like change for instance if the owner goes on holiday then her clients would rather not come in for their weekly blow dry and just wait till she's back from her holidays.
Have you ever been on a capital course?they are only a day course, I mean how much can you really learn in a day, I really would go but how good is it value for money?
I know I seriously need to move on but it's really quite embarrassing saying I have 8 years experience but can hardly do anything. I've basically as much knowledge as a junior.
I would absolutely love to go mobile but how do I get clients and how can I tint/hi light/cut when I only know the basics.
I'm scared to leave my job as I can't afford to not be earning. I wish I'd felt like this sooner and had the courage and confidence to move on. I'm now 27 and have worked in the same salon since finishing college :S

It is hard. I would go on as many courses as you can and try and find friends and family to practise on. Then when you feel more confident move on. You will never be challenged in the salon you are in x

Hi Angel87, I understand how you feel, I worked in a salon like you're describing many yrs ago, then I went mobile, so for many yrs I only did highlights using cap & bleach, didn't do any other colouring! Then my husband payed for me to go on a L'Oreal colouring course, just a basic one, I loved it, then I got my friend to show me how to do foils, I now love doing them! I'm doing an advanced cutting course with Capital next month so am looking forward to that! I'm also thinking of doing more courses at L'Oreal, but some are very expensive! I've never done pre pigging or used pastel, but by looking at SalonGeek every day & watching vids recommended by people on here I've learned a lot! I'd love to go in a nice salon once a week & watch & learn, I'd do it for free. & I'm 51, so, at 27 it's not too late for you! Keep at it! Good luck! X

Have you done your level 3? You can usually do it one night a week at local colleges. You would get to meet other hairdressers and learn loads more on colouring and being creative! I would go round your local colleges and explain your situation and then you can stay in the job you are at whole training then move on! Xxx

You definitely need to go on a colour course with whatever colour house you use, or perhaps consider switching to a brand that offers good education and support. One of the first things that new generation hairdressers, and of course all the experienced ones here who constantly update their education will tell you, is that none of us ever use bleach with 12% as its simply not necessary anymore due to advances in colour technology.
Pastel is wella's version of a low strength peroxide, i.e. 3% which is used for toning with koleston and gentle lifting, but things differ from brand to brand.

Thanks all for your support and advice. I have spent a lot of today looking at courses and have narrowed it down to about 6 I like the sound of, hopefully I'll be able to do them all. Feeling better about things already. Thanks again xx

Latest posts

Back