Stumped on what to do next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joz99

Reaction score
I have a client who at consult had box shade 4 on her hair, very flat. She wanted to achieve a lighter all over colour with different tones x
She is natural base 5 with grey mainly sides and front hairline, naturally wavy which she always straightens never left natural so because of this each time I go her hair has not really got any longer :-/ ( I advise on shampoos conditioners and heat protecting products and do a conditioning treatment for her every visit)
First visit her hair had faded to a shade 5 so I applied majirel 5.3 and 20vol taking it through to ends and did a full head of foils bleach and 3% lifting to a level 8, she was happy with the result.

Since then I have just done roots each time as I don't want to damage the ends especially with the straightening.
However I felt that a 5.3 was still dark with the highlights so last visit I used a 6.3 which was less harsh but I'm still not happy even though client is!
Even though I've only been doing roots of highlights I do feel it's looking more blocky...
Ideally would like a lighter shade still on roots but if I put a 7.3 with 20 vol on a base 5 will it lift enough? I know is 1-2 levels...or should I go through with 6.3 semi lowlights next time so roots are less obvious??
Not sure if this all makes sense...any help appreciated 😊

If it's looking like too many highlights add some darker in the foils (in a Demi) aswel as painting it on the roots.

Or go for 7.3 and bleach alternate foils using 6.3 all over.

If it's looking like too many highlights add some darker in the foils (in a Demi) aswel as painting it on the roots.

Or go for 7.3 and bleach alternate foils using 6.3 all over.

Thanks for your reply 😊 what % developer would u use with the Demi in foils? 6vol just to deposit? X

I'm confused. Didn't this end up giving you lighter roots with a band of darker color, then highlights below that? If you go with a 7 next time, won't that further exacerbate the problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your reply 😊 what % developer would u use with the Demi in foils? 6vol just to deposit? X

What range do you use? Do they offer a Demi for grey hair?

I'm confused. Didn't this end up giving you lighter roots with a band of darker color, then highlights below that? If you go with a 7 next time, won't that further exacerbate the problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app
Sorry I struggled to explain in first post x
No I haven't had a band because since first application of 5.3 through to the ends I have not refreshed them so they have lightened to a 6 and each time since I've only done the roots, because of condition of the hair I usually apply tint to the roots wash off and then do highlights again just roots so as soon as roots have lifted to desired shade I can remove them and it all blends in fine, last time I used 6.3 because I did feel the 5.3 too dark and harsh looking especially round the front hairline (she has very short hair there which is too short for foils) and where colour appears a bit blocky (possible where ends have faded further??) x

Sorry I struggled to explain in first post x
No I haven't had a band because since first application of 5.3 through to the ends I have not refreshed them so they have lightened to a 6 and each time since I've only done the roots, because of condition of the hair I usually apply tint to the roots wash off and then do highlights again just roots so as soon as roots have lifted to desired shade I can remove them and it all blends in fine, last time I used 6.3 because I did feel the 5.3 too dark and harsh looking especially round the front hairline (she has very short hair there which is too short for foils) and where colour appears a bit blocky (possible where ends have faded further??) x

So you do the brown, develop and blast dry then highlight?

If so that's not helping the condition.

Use a low developer in the foil

What range do you use? Do they offer a Demi for grey hair?

I use loreal and yes dia richesse is their Demi, for grey coverage you use 15vol x i usually apply tint to roots and then wash off and foil so I can keep a closer eye on the foils it is time consuming but her hair isn't the easiest to handle so I could use majirel 6.3 on roots which would cover the grey and then go through in foils with 6.3 dia richesse grey would already be covered it would be more for breaking up the blonde so needs to hold well on the bleach x

Sounds like a plan

So you do the brown, develop and blast dry then highlight?

If so that's not helping the condition.

Use a low developer in the foil

I only do roots highlights and use 3% and 6% on last section x thanks for your help x

Lv7 on base 5 root to be a true lv7, needs 1/2 6% +1/2 9%(15mls@6%+15mls@9%=30mls/1fl.oz.of 4.5% strength for an extra 1/2-1 lv.guarentee of lifting power.

Lv7 on base 5 root to be a true lv7, needs 1/2 6% +1/2 9%(15mls@6%+15mls@9%=30mls/1fl.oz.of 4.5% strength for an extra 1/2-1 lv.guarentee of lifting power.

Can u do that with majirel? Would it still cover the grey? I've never mixed peroxide a before but see what your saying would b great if I could get roots roots lighter than a 6 x

I really don't see why you'd need to mix developers. if you're only going for 2 levels of lift just use 9%, or if your colour house is 2 levels of lift with 6% then use that. I don't know what the levels of lift are with loreal but I don't see the point in mixing peroxide when it can be kept simple

Hang on a minuite now am I wrong in thinking the 6% would be null and void and would just defuse the power of the 9%??? It doesn't make it stronger if u mix 2 peroxides does it? If it does then I need to go back to the books I think :/

Loreal is 6% 2 levels of lift.

Let's stick to the rules to get the best results.

I don't know what you alway mix peroxide and state it what's you 'need' to do- if that's how the product worked it would say that in the instructions.

Hang on a minuite now am I wrong in thinking the 6% would be null and void and would just defuse the power of the 9%??? It doesn't make it stronger if u mix 2 peroxides does it? If it does then I need to go back to the books I think :/

You're right. I've seen people thinking that adding 6% to 12% makes it 18% but actually makes it 9%. There really is no point in mixing the 6% and 9% if the OP is wanting more than one shade of lift. Think it just over complicates things

I think adamlea should dazzle us with a bit of his amazing chemistry knowledge here, I'm quite sure mixing 2 peroxides is a complelty pointless excercise?

You're right. I've seen people thinking that adding 6% to 12% makes it 18% but actually makes it 9%. There really is no point in mixing the 6% and 9% if the OP is wanting more than one shade of lift. Think it just over complicates things

Thank u lol

I think adamlea should dazzle us with a bit of his amazing chemistry knowledge here, I'm quite sure mixing 2 peroxides is a complelty pointless excercise?

It just makes things so complicated and there's really no need for it. Stick to the rules like Colour Girly said

I've seen people do it when they 'can't decide' .

It's not that hard base 5, wants a 7, uses loreal, so mix a 7 with 20vol.

You would only make it up if you couldn't analyze what's in front of you.

Latest posts

Back