Stylist conflict

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne Logan

Reaction score
I have been a salon owner for 12 years and have never encountered this problem. I have a stylist that has worked for me more a year and I have been finding out she is doing clients at home including cuts, colors, pedicures and facials. I have talked to her about how wrong it is. But she is still doing them and doesn't seem to think it's a problem. My next move is to give her a written reprimand for it so she knows the seriousness if the situation, but I'm having troubles wording it. I need help.

This is my letter thus far :
It is illegal for you to preform any services outside of the salon. You do not have a journeyman and do not have a business license do be able to work from your own home. If we were to inform the apprenticeship board, your license may be taken away. It is also a conflict of interest as you are an employee of the salon and should understand that performing services at 2 locations will not be tolerated and is disrespectful. as you are not completely booked at the salon at any given time there is no reason for you to be doing client after hours. We insist that this stops immediately. If you wish to give those clients a discount to encourage them to come in the salon, we will allow this to a degree which will be set by management.

How does this sound?

Was there anything in her contact?

It sounds quite cross. It also sounds like if she were fully booked in the salon, then it would be okay.

I would keep it simple. If she's not licensed to work from home she could have her apprenticeship taken away. If she doesn't stop, you will have to inform the licensing board.

Hope the terminology makes sense. It's very different to over here.

Good luck.

Vic x

oh! I get where you are coming from, but it seems a bit jumbled. I realise you have different legislation that I don't understand, but can I suggest the following structure to the letter may help?

Dear blah-blah

State the situation

State the seriousness and possible consequences.

State the action you would like to happen.

bit about moving clients at the end.

so maybe:

Dear blah-blah.

It has come to my attention that you are currently carrying out a business from home doing beauty and hair treatments.

I would like to remind you that if this is the case: your are not licensed to do these treatments from home, may have no insurance and if the apprenticeship board should become aware they may revoke your licence. This behaviour also constitutes a serious conflict of interest with the salon ( and contravines your emplyment contract )

We request that you stop this practice immediately and advise that this letter constitutes a written warning.

You are welcome to discus any deals you may like to offer to any clients wishing to see you at work rather than at your home.

Thank you so much both of you. This is very helpful and I am going to re-word my letter. After I read it this morning it did sound jumbled. I think I was just so upset that I was trying to get all my thoughts out at once.

Lol never do it when you're upset. Or if you do, definitely re-read it when you're calmer x

Thanks all of you for the help. I waited till today to talk to her and it went really well. She said she understood although she figured that because she was doing friends at home that it wouldn't be a problem. Hope I don't have a problem again.

Well that's good. Just keep an eye out now in future but hopefully it's sorted the matter out. So pleased that it went well as nobody likes an atmosphere in the work place.

Thanks all of you for the help. I waited till today to talk to her and it went really well. She said she understood although she figured that because she was doing friends at home that it wouldn't be a problem. Hope I don't have a problem again.

Sorry,I just wanted to ask in your region is it illegal to go mobile and do services if qualified as a hairdresser?

I live in Canada. So you still have to have a business license. Plus she is an employee of the salon so it is not ethical for her to be working at the salon and on her own.

Latest posts

Back