Sulphate free shampoo for extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 clients who have never shampooed their hair at home since I've fitted their extensions, they come to me every week sometimes twice in a week I use goldwell rich repair shampoo & goldwell 60 second treatment conditioner every time on their hair followed by goldwell 6 effects serum before the blowdry, I don't use anything else on them (only volume product for top section of natural hair if needed) and there's never been an issue, bonds are strong & hair is beautiful! I don't think it's always "sulphate free" that's needed just good quality is fine.

I have 2 clients who have never shampooed their hair at home since I've fitted their extensions, they come to me every week sometimes twice in a week I use goldwell rich repair shampoo & goldwell 60 second treatment conditioner every time on their hair followed by goldwell 6 effects serum before the blowdry, I don't use anything else on them (only volume product for top section of natural hair if needed) and there's never been an issue, bonds are strong & hair is beautiful! I don't think it's always "sulphate free" that's needed just good quality is fine.

Yeah you definitely don't need sulphate free; we don't need it on our own hair so we don't necessarily need it on extensions.

Hair extension techs, do you actually know why you should use sulphate free on extensions? What are the advantages? Why shouldn't you use regular shampoo on them?

If you can't explain that then why are you advertising it should be used?

Moroccan oil

Yeah you definitely don't need sulphate free; we don't need it on our own hair so we don't necessarily need it on extensions.

Hair extension techs, do you actually know why you should use sulphate free on extensions? What are the advantages? Why shouldn't you use regular shampoo on them?

If you can't explain that then why are you advertising it should be used?

Sulfates can strip the hair of natural oils produced by the scalp, this doesn't travel down the hair extensions and extra hydration is needed on this hair, sulfate shampoo will strip and dry out extensions more so then a sulfate free one and this obviously isn't good as the extension isn't getting the normal oils produced my the scalp. Also sulfates can dry out the ends of hair extensions and those using heat will find more breakage and straggly ends compared to those using oils and sulfate free shampoo. Sulfates in products for the hair can also damage and change the hair shaft causing tangling which would lead to a client potentially pulling out their own hair along with the extensions.
Sulfate shampoos can also contribute to colour fading - of natural and extensions - extensions are more at risk to not matching coloured natural hair.
Also alot of sulfates found in shampoos are in household cleaning products ?! I wouldn't use washing up liquid in my hair so i wouldn't recommend a customer to.
There are alot of brands on the market that claim to be sulfate free but do contain sulfates. You can use normal regular shampoo on extensions every once in a while but continuous use may cause unnecessary dryness and breakage. I recommend sulfate free to clients to get the longevity out of their hair, after all for most girls its an investment.

Sulfates can strip the hair of natural oils produced by the scalp, this doesn't travel down the hair extensions and extra hydration is needed on this hair, sulfate shampoo will strip and dry out extensions more so then a sulfate free one and this obviously isn't good as the extension isn't getting the normal oils produced my the scalp. Also sulfates can dry out the ends of hair extensions and those using heat will find more breakage and straggly ends compared to those using oils and sulfate free shampoo. Sulfates in products for the hair can also damage and change the hair shaft causing tangling which would lead to a client potentially pulling out their own hair along with the extensions.
Sulfate shampoos can also contribute to colour fading - of natural and extensions - extensions are more at risk to not matching coloured natural hair.
Also alot of sulfates found in shampoos are in household cleaning products ?! I wouldn't use washing up liquid in my hair so i wouldn't recommend a customer to.
There are alot of brands on the market that claim to be sulfate free but do contain sulfates. You can use normal regular shampoo on extensions every once in a while but continuous use may cause unnecessary dryness and breakage. I recommend sulfate free to clients to get the longevity out of their hair, after all for most girls its an investment.

Do you realise the point of shampoo is to strip the hair of its natural oils?

Hi I use this Sulfate free shampoo its Ace
Down side make your hair grow crazy fast so the need for tightening up extensions well i guess more money for me as clients come back faster..

(Edited to remove non pro recommendation)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you realise the point of shampoo is to strip the hair of its natural oils?

I would have to disagree, the point of shampoo is to clean the hair and scalp of debis such as dirt EXCESS oil, pollution and other contaminants from the environment, stripping the hair of all oils is very unhealthy for your hair.

I would have to disagree, the point of shampoo is to clean the hair and scalp of debis such as dirt EXCESS oil, pollution and other contaminants from the environment, stripping the hair of all oils is very unhealthy for your hair.

Are you referring to pro shampoos or consumer/supermarket shampoo?

Are you referring to pro shampoos or consumer/supermarket shampoo?

Supermarket shampoos are the worst culprit yes, professional products don't get used enough on a customers hair to be damaging, and a lot have oils added to counter act sulphates and help the hair. Unless the customer really listens and has an active interest in hair and beauty they are not going to have professional products at home. If you recommend sulphate free the chances are they are going to get a more gentle shampoo off the shelf that is somewhere better then others, it will still contain some sulfates because of the regulations in what you can claim to be sulfate free. However some extensionists have their own to up sell which will be better then anything bought from a supermarket

Supermarket shampoos are the worst culprit yes, professional products don't get used enough on a customers hair to be damaging, and a lot have oils added to counter act sulphates and help the hair. Unless the customer really listens and has an active interest in hair and beauty they are not going to have professional products at home. If you recommend sulphate free the chances are they are going to get a more gentle shampoo off the shelf that is somewhere better then others, it will still contain some sulfates because of the regulations in what you can claim to be sulfate free. However some extensionists have their own to up sell which will be better then anything bought from a supermarket

But they should have professional products at home. Supermarket products aren't even worth a mention.

'They don't get used enough to be damaging' oh right so me and other hairdressers as professionals who use professional products are damaging our hair with them ok[emoji15]

Any client of a hairdressers should be using professional products to maintain their hair, a colour or extension service dosent end at the salon it's an ongoing thing, if we let customers go off and use whatever it's like they don't give a hoot about the quality of the work, retail Should be thought of as a nessecity to the hairdressing services we provide not a luxury treat, if people pay £70 for a colour or a few hundred for extensions they should be using the recommended products for longevity of their service, clients need to be educated about this from the moment you meet never mind if they have an active interest in them!
I'd never put asda engine oil in my sports car and expect it to perform well the same as I wouldn't use asda shampoo on my hair colour or stennies, it just dosent perform well!

Any client of a hairdressers should be using professional products to maintain their hair, a colour or extension service dosent end at the salon it's an ongoing thing, if we let customers go off and use whatever it's like they don't give a hoot about the quality of the work, retail Should be thought of as a nessecity to the hairdressing services we provide not a luxury treat, if people pay £70 for a colour or a few hundred for extensions they should be using the recommended products for longevity of their service, clients need to be educated about this from the moment you meet never mind if they have an active interest in them!
I'd never put asda engine oil in my sports car and expect it to perform well the same as I wouldn't use asda shampoo on my hair colour or stennies, it just dosent perform well!

This is exactly what I was saying!

But they should have professional products at home. Supermarket products aren't even worth a mention.

'They don't get used enough to be damaging' oh right so me and other hairdressers as professionals who use professional products are damaging our hair with them ok[emoji15]

There is no need to be rude.
If you actually spend time reading up on the chemicals you will see what I am talking about.
I also say above professional products have oils and other ingredients that counter act the sulfates drying out your hair.
Don't get your nickers in a twist.

There is no need to be rude.
If you actually spend time reading up on the chemicals you will see what I am talking about.
I also say above professional products have oils and other ingredients that counter act the sulfates drying out your hair.
Don't get your nickers in a twist.

I'm not being rude[emoji24]

In all honesty kahuna got across what I wanted to say in a way I couldn't.

I'm not being rude[emoji24]

In all honesty kahuna got across what I wanted to say in a way I couldn't.
Lol, okay.
I was just giving an answer to your original statement about needing to know why sulphate free shampoos are recommend.
A lot of girls that do pay for extensions do have the money for after care. However there are a percentage of them that don't bother with advice and also a percentage that haven't paid for their extensions as bank of mommy or daddy has paid. I was just getting the information over the best way I could too

I think that the point is the "sulfate free" can be just as lousy as "sulfated" shampoo. The loreal sulfate free supermarket shampoo that some extensionists reccomend is far below the goldwell products kahuna mentioned. That's not hearsay either. I know because I've actually tested it myself.

Hi all,

On a hair extension course I have done the trainers recommend 'sulphate free shampoo'.

I have extensions myself and have had since November last year, same hair. My technician recommend Aussie Shampoo. I have used that for quite a while, and it's been fine, but when I went on my hair extension training and I told them I used it, they looked at me like I had three heads!

Now when I have done two sets of hair extensions so far since my training and the ladies always ask me what I use! I don't want to get into a 'do as I say, not as I do' situation but I really don't see any issue with the Aussie shampoo.

What is everyone's advice on this? What on the shelf brands do people recommend? And why does the shampoo have to be sulphate free? x
OGX products can be used ! I was advised to use the coconut one and the Moroccan Shampoo in the same range and my extensions are still going strong with plenty of NOUSTURE and no dry ends etc ( I think the biggest problem with extensions matting, drying up, not lasting, becoming brittle etc are mostly due to heat styling and lack of using a heat protector oil/serum before along with people failure to be consistent with using good conditioning masks at least once a week xx

OGX products can be used ! I was advised to use the coconut one and the Moroccan Shampoo in the same range and my extensions are still going strong with plenty of NOUSTURE and no dry ends etc ( I think the biggest problem with extensions matting, drying up, not lasting, becoming brittle etc are mostly due to heat styling and lack of using a heat protector oil/serum before along with people failure to be consistent with using good conditioning masks at least once a week xx
Oops sorry MOISTURE LOL

Very valuable advice !! I will inform my customers ! X

Last edited by a moderator:
Very valuable advice !! I will inform my customers ! X

You are welcome, the coconut oil is amazing, the hair is left shiny and healthy, can be used as skin care and for all sorts.
Its much easier for customers to know they can use any of their range rather than searching around and checking labels, the honey range is lovely and smells very fresh, this is the most popular one used by my customers... have a nice weekend xx

Latest posts

Back