Sunbed charges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomme

Reaction score
Hi geeks. Trying to work out a rough idea of electric costs for a sunbed. I'm getting a 16 bulb sunbed. Each tube is 100 watts. Iv seen a site that says a 40 tube 200 watt bed would cost 77p per hour to run. But that works out at £0.012 per minute.
Any ideas that are relevant to today's electric cost for a 16 bulb 100 w tube? Xoxo

I'm not too sure if you are allowed to discuss this on salon geek as non professionals can see this. X

I'm not too sure if you are allowed to discuss this on salon geek as non professionals can see this. X

Once I have my home one I would consider a salon one if I had a idea of power use so I could speak with the landlady to possibly alter my amenities bill to cover the cost of the bed xoxo

Are you really going to offer sunbeds in your salon?!

Why would you want a 16 tube 100 w sunbed?
Is it a pro model or home style.

Tubes, UVA UVB mix? uVA only?
Are you also aware of M3 compliance?

These are the things you really do need to know, i have two in my salon and if i could wind the clock back i would not have them, not because of ridiculous scare stories but they truly do not make you money!

Sorry i can not agree, there is no proof that sun beds cause skin cancer, we could argue and debate this all night and not agree with each other.
What about going on holiday and laying in the sun every day for two weeks? That is bad for you but millions do it,

Sun beds used in moderation are no more harmful than sunbathing on holiday, but do not forget sun beds do not have the C ray! The sun does.

I respect your position on this and we are all entitled to our opinions, there is a plethora of studies and information on the pros & cons of sun beds, but i would never tell someone they were irresponsible for having one.
Kindest regards Paul

MYTH: MELANOMA IS DIRECTLY ASSOCIATED WITH UV EXPOSURE

TRUTH: There is no credible scientific evidence that regular, moderate sun exposure causes melanoma. Melanoma is seen more often in people who do not receive this type of exposure than in those who spend time in the sun. Melanomas also usually occur on parts of the body that receive little or no UV exposure. This suggests that genetics plays a much more important role in the development of melanoma than does regular, moderate UV exposure.

Sunbed association website report.

Why would you want a 16 tube 100 w sunbed?
Is it a pro model or home style.

Tubes, UVA UVB mix? uVA only?
Are you also aware of M3 compliance?

These are the things you really do need to know, i have two in my salon and if i could wind the clock back i would not have them, not because of ridiculous scare stories but they truly do not make you money!

It's a home one that I'm having out in my home office, but if the costs aren't too high I will be considering a pro one for use in the salon.
The reason for the home one is I'm sick of fitting in my sessions where and when I can. This way I can go home chill out, tan then jammys :)
Is the above 77p acurarw for the 200? Xoxo

The Truth about Tanning

News stories tend to claim that sunbeds are as dangerous as arsenic and compare them to smoking tobacco. These stories are inaccurate and misleading and are based on a misunderstanding of the actual research.

The truth is…
Sunbeds have been categorised as ‘Group 1’ in a report by a group of scientists in France. ‘Group 1’ means that there is evidence that the use of sunbeds may increase the risk of skin cancer.

The information is not new. Sunlight is in the same category as sunbeds and has been in that category since 1992!

Since 1992, thousands of doctors have recommended moderate exposure to sunlight for a variety of health benefits. In fact, a lot of prominent Vitamin D experts are convinced that the benefits of sunlight outweigh the risks by far.

Being in the ‘Group 1’ category does not say anything about the size of the risk, just that there is any risk at all. Some things in the category are very dangerous, like arsenic and mustard gas. Other substances only carry a very small risk, like red wine, beer and salted fish.

News stories that say things like ‘tanning is as dangerous as arsenic’ are flat-out wrong. The scientists have not made that kind of comparison at all, only reporters looking for a scary headline.

All the news stories are working off a press release and no reporter has actually read the report which classifies sunbeds as Group 1.

The report is not a new study, it is a review of a paper from 2006 - which itself was a review of 23 studies, some dating back to the early 1980s. Those studies had a wide range of findings:

Of the 23 studies:

were excluded for unusable data

6 had results suggesting that sunbeds actually reduce the risk of skin cancer!

The Myth - Sunbed use causes skin cancer
Wrong! There is no scientific research to suggest that the use of sunbeds is accompanied with a higher risk of skin cancer.

And the Facts…
It is overexposure and abuse of sunbeds, just like overexposure to sunlight, which is associated with health risks.

There is no difference between natural sunlight and sunbeds; sunbeds produce the same UV light as the sun. Research has shown that in countries with the most annual sunshine, there are the fewest cases of Colon, Prostate and Breast Cancer - thus refuting the link between UV light and Cancer conveyed by the media.

The media say that sunbeds produce stronger UV rays than the sun but you are only on a sunbed for around an average of 8 minutes - not 8 hours!

Scientific studies suggest that drinking red wine or other alcoholic beverages carries a greater cancer risk than tanning.

Sunbeds have been categorised as ‘Group 1’ – other things included in this category include red wine, salted fish and regular sunlight as well as mustard gas and arsenic. To say that a glass of red wine is as deadly as mustard gas is ridiculous, as is the comparison of sunbeds to such toxins.

Sunbed use in itself has a number of health benefits. It is overexposure to UV light (from both sunbeds and natural sunlight) that causes health risks.

Benefits of Sunbeds
Sunbed use can improve psychological wellbeing – it can increase confidence and self-esteem whilst also offering a source of relaxation.

It can help to alleviate the symptoms of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) or Winter Blues. Many people experience depressive symptoms during Winter and these symptoms can be reduced through moderate sunbed use.

UV light can help to improve various skin conditions like Psoriasis, Eczema and Acne.

The pleasant warming effect of sunbed treatments can soothe muscular aches and pains and help alleviate the discomfort associate with Rheumatism and Arthritis.

Tanned skin protects you against sunburn, thought to be the main cause of melanoma. By using sunbeds, where the level of UV can be controlled, the risk of sunburn can be minimised.

Using sunbeds before a holiday can help the skin to develop a tan before going away and thereby minimise the risk of sunburn while on holiday.

Perhaps the greatest benefit of sunbed use however, is its link to Vitamin D

Vitamin D
Indoor tanning helps your body to produce Vitamin D.

Vitamin D is essential for good health.

It lowers the risk of everyday infections like cold and flu as well as more fatal diseases, high blood pressure, Type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis and depression.

Sunlight is the most effective way for the body to manufacture Vitamin D - indoor or outdoor.

6 out of 10 adults in the UK are Vitamin D deficient.

Studies suggest that regular, moderate use of sunbeds will raise the levels of Vitamin D in healthy adults by an average of 40%

Tanning in a sensible manner creates a whole host of health benefits.

It is OVEREXPOSURE that causes the health risks. In moderation sunbed use is good for you.

MYTH: MELANOMA IS DIRECTLY ASSOCIATED WITH UV EXPOSURE

TRUTH: There is no credible scientific evidence that regular, moderate sun exposure causes melanoma. Melanoma is seen more often in people who do not receive this type of exposure than in those who spend time in the sun. Melanomas also usually occur on parts of the body that receive little or no UV exposure. This suggests that genetics plays a much more important role in the development of melanoma than does regular, moderate UV exposure.

Sunbed association website report.

At the risk of sounding like Mandy Rice-Davies, well, they would say that, wouldn't they?!

This is peer reviewed evidence.
I believe the BMJ over the organisation whose raison d'etre is to present a positive spin on sunbed use.
Indoor tanning and non-melanoma skin cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis | BMJ

Hi Lynne,
As i said i fully respect your opinion and i have mine, we are not going to agree because we feel strongly on our positions.

Thank you for a strong debate on this issue, i look forward to debating with you again, hopefully its something we agree on next time ;)

Kindest Regards Paul

The Truth about Tanning

Since 1992, thousands of doctors have recommended moderate exposure to sunlight for a variety of health benefits. In fact, a lot of prominent Vitamin D experts are convinced that the benefits of sunlight outweigh the risks by far.

Just to put my two pennies in, when I needed some extra cash (made redundant) I worked in a sunbed shop and our local hospital sent a lot of people to the salon for a few minutes on a sunbed, apparently it helps with quite a lot of skin conditions, however you do get young people coming in and hammering them, it may or may not cause skin cancer but it definitely, if over used, causes premature ageing to the face, that's a fact I've seen it!!

Sunbeds can be good and bad. It all depends on the salon and how safe they are with sunbed usage. If a salon lets a client go on for 12mins everyday, then they are risking the client to over exposure. It's always best to make sure health and safety procedures are in place and to take care of your clients and not just think of money.

If the sunbed is used for an hour a day then it will only cost you 12p to run, so just call it 20p an hour. Sunbeds are profitable business in the right location with the right sunbeds. The sunbed you will be offering wouldn't be the best for a client to pay for as total output is 1600watts, best to use sunbeds with 6000 watts - 8000 watts. Less time on the sunbed the better for the client and faster results.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back