Sunbeds advice/help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFCJen26

Reaction score
I have had about 8 sessions now , started with 3 min session and now up to 4 mins. But I am still not seeing hardly any colour change in the skin tone. I have been using a protan sunbed cream as was told I had to use this. I would have thought I would have got some colour by now. The salon is not that helpful tbh and I feel unwelcome and rushed when I visit. Now I am looking for a decent salon in my area but threw google search etc not found any
Does anyone use sunbeds ?

Or know of any salons with in the Sidcup area? All ones I know are out to make a quick buck and not giving me advice etc at all.

If you want to add to the NHS bill then go ahead and use a sunbed.

Do you realise the damage that they cause?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't all sunbed shops have to comply with the new rules? I thought they all had to be 0.3's now?

Don't all sunbed shops have to comply with the new rules? I thought they all had to be 0.3's now?

Yes they should of but i know of a salin by mine who changed the tubes for the inspection and then changed them back to the hotter tubes!!!!

Hi, this is a really difficult one to answer as sunbeds are all different & I don't know your skin type.
If your not happy with the place you're going definately try a different salon & see if you get a better result. You do have to go often, I presume you were doing 3mins 2-3 times a week. Make sure your skin is not dry and put plenty of tanning lotion on.
Sorry I can't help you more.

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

I got 3 times a week with a break at the weekend, I have minutes left with that salon and they have the Ergoline beds and reckon the new tubes were put in a few months ago, they don't check or ask me how my tan is going. Just say use sunbed cream and go every other day and my tan will build, but it's been almost 3 week now and not noticed that much of a change. I have fair skin and dark hair and eyes (skin type 2 I think) they rush you in and out check and give you 2 mins to get changed and put cream on. Am going to try another place when my minute run out.

If you want to add to the NHS bill then go ahead and use a sunbed.

Do you realise the damage that they cause?

I know they do some damage but people still use them and salons say they are safe to use. Maybe I'm just using a not so good salon.

What does 0.3s mean ? Think I will take a pic of the bed they use and the tubes when I next go.

4 minutes a go doesn't seem very much. How did you decide on that time?

Are you using a tanning accelerator under your sun protection?

4 minutes a go doesn't seem very much. How did you decide on that time?

Are you using a tanning accelerator under your sun protection?

Cause I'm new to sunbeds and anymore than that I would burn, I even go red with 4 mins but it goes down over night.

I use the outrageously sexy tanning cream by protan.

I got 3 times a week with a break at the weekend, I have minutes left with that salon and they have the Ergoline beds and reckon the new tubes were put in a few months ago, they don't check or ask me how my tan is going. Just say use sunbed cream and go every other day and my tan will build, but it's been almost 3 week now and not noticed that much of a change. I have fair skin and dark hair and eyes (skin type 2 I think) they rush you in and out check and give you 2 mins to get changed and put cream on. Am going to try another place when my minute run out.

I used to go 3 times a week and did 4-6 min sessions a time, moisturise loads also I wore a thong so I could see a colour change because I never notice when I have a tan, I also always wore Spf 15 on my face when on them to protect it. Personally I prefer the stand up sunbeds xxx

I know they do some damage but people still use them and salons say they are safe to use. Maybe I'm just using a not so good salon.

Okay so skin cancer clearly means nothing to you.

If your salon said it was okay to jump off a cliff would you still do it?

You have exposed your skin to something it clearly cannot cope with but your going to keep doing it unless you go brown.

The mentality of people never fails to amaze me

I do the same as the lady above and wear pants so I can see the tan lines!

Also use f30 on my face.

I'd keep going as you are - do you tan naturally in the sun? Try putting the tan accelerator on an hour or so before you go for it to get working.

If you're burning use a bit of sun cream too!

Okay so skin cancer clearly means nothing to you.

If your salon said it was okay to jump off a cliff would you still do it?

You have exposed your skin to something it clearly cannot cope with but your going to keep doing it unless you go brown.

The mentality of people never fails to amaze me

She doesn't need approval from you.

Last edited:
I keep my knickers on during tanning session and use an SPF balm on my lips and also put a little on my nipples. I was told not to use an SPF on my face when tanning. But got one I may start to use and to save time I will put my tanning cream on before I leave to go to the salon. Are there better ones than protan? Australian gold have one but I want a non tingle one without bronzers. I moisturise daily (before I go bed). I have got some colour but to me I still look white, my legs seem to tan less than the rest of the body. I have got tan lines.

I just checked my one is the protan one too.

I have an elemis one too but that's years old. I prefer the
Pro tan one.

If you really feel you're not getting the results mabe try
Spray tanning instead?

Do you use lay down or stand up beds?!

I prefer stand up beds & think they work better too.
I also use the protan lotion, the 50% accelerator with bronzing beads, I go on twice a week for 6 mins, I am quite dark skinned anyway.

Maybe try different beds 😃

I have had about 8 sessions now , started with 3 min session and now up to 4 mins. But I am still not seeing hardly any colour change in the skin tone. I have been using a protan sunbed cream as was told I had to use this. I would have thought I would have got some colour by now. The salon is not that helpful tbh and I feel unwelcome and rushed when I visit. Now I am looking for a decent salon in my area but threw google search etc not found any
Does anyone use sunbeds ?

Or know of any salons with in the Sidcup area? All ones I know are out to make a quick buck and not giving me advice etc at all.

Hi I have a stand up uv sun shower in my salon based in Petts wood. Your colour will take a while to develop with 3 min sessions, but if u have tan lines, it is obviously developing and you would prob be ok now to move up to 6 mins. Ours go in sessions of 3,6,9,12 dependent on skintype and most people start with a few sessions of 3 then gradually increase up to 6 then 9. Some do 12 mins but majority do 6 or 9. We sell the pro tan creams too. We also have an automatic spray tan booth which if your naturally very fair, might be better option for you. The new regs with tubes means that tans do develop more gradually as they are not as powerful as before but they are safer with much lower risk of skin damage. Your legs will take longer as they have had less exposure then your face and arms etc so will never look as tanned! X

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you use lay down or stand up beds?!

I prefer stand up beds & think they work better too.
I also use the protan lotion, the 50% accelerator with bronzing beads, I go on twice a week for 6 mins, I am quite dark skinned anyway.

Maybe try different beds 😃

Ergoline Laydown can't remember which model tho, but know it will be more down to the tubes than the bed itself.

Hi I have a stand up uv sun shower in my salon based in Petts wood. Your colour will take a while to develop with 3 min sessions, but if u have tan lines, it is obviously developing and you would prob be ok now to move up to 6 mins. Ours go in sessions of 3,6,9,12 dependent on skintype and most people start with a few sessions of 3 then gradually increase up to 6 then 9. Some do 12 mins but majority do 6 or 9. We sell the pro tan creams too. We also have an automatic spray tan booth which if your naturally very fair, might be better option for you. The new regs with tubes means that tans do develop more gradually as they are not as powerful as before but they are safer with much lower risk of skin damage. Your legs will take longer as they have had less exposure then your face and arms etc so will never look as tanned! X

I think 6 mins would be way to much for me as I still go red/burn with 4 mins. Do you get better results with the stand up beds? I am going to change salons and there is one called tropical glo on sidcup high street, have you heard of it ? pets wood is a little out my reach as have to use my feet or public transport to get around as I don't drive. Is protan good ? My underparts of my arms don't tAn that much either but guess need to keep going. How long would I need to build up a tan (a light honey golden type tan)

One girl in the salon did 15mins on laydown and she was so tanned she looked almost black.

I think 6 mins would be way to much for me as I still go red/burn with 4 mins. Do you get better results with the stand up beds? I am going to change salons and there is one called tropical glo on sidcup high street, have you heard of it ? pets wood is a little out my reach as have to use my feet or public transport to get around as I don't drive. Is protan good ? My underparts of my arms don't tAn that much either but guess need to keep going. How long would I need to build up a tan (a light honey golden type tan)

One girl in the salon did 15mins on laydown and she was so tanned she looked almost black.

It really varies from person to person dependent on your natural skin type. Do you get a tan naturally when in holiday in the sun? If you tend to just burn then you are unlikely to ever go really brown and are best sticking to the 3 mins a few sessions a week just to give yourself a healthy glow. You can also buy tan moisturisers that have extenders in them to use at home which will deepen and prolong the tan, maybe try those. Pro tan do one in a big pink bottle. If you have tan lines, it is definatly working and maybe another few weeks of sessions you will feel its more noticeable. It's always good to build it slowly though, don't get carried away with it, it's easy to get hooked on them as the vitamin d does make u feel better! I don't think I could cope with 15 mins and I tan easy! Haven't been to sidcup high street in a while so don't know the one u mentioned but pop in and get a feel for the place. Personally I like the stand ups as can't bear the feeling of lying in a puddle of sweat but it is boring, I do a few squats to pass the time! I used to like having a little powernap on the lay downs!

Latest posts

Back