Sunbeds?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckybee

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on sunbeds.

Are they still a worth while business venture?

Hate them and wouldn't give them house or salon room!

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

The one by me had a sign in the window today for 20p & 30p a minuite I've never had one I'd worry about skin cancer lol but it did cross my mind how do they make money with those prices!?

We charge £0.80 a minute. It is all depends on sunbeds, room and other factors when it come to the price. I use them regularly and get more benefits out of it than bad thinks. There is many people which use them for health. As an owner of sunbed shop you are responsible to advise them on how to use them safe. BTW sun fight against many cancers. Also tan is a natural skin protection from cancer. People in Uk get it in so high % as they don't have a clue how to use sun. Going abroad with no prepared skin burn themselves so bad. Applying sunscreens which get in to the reaction with tge sun- that what cause a skin cancer.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

In my salon we have one lay down regulated UVA sunbed.

It costs £1 for 3 minutes and people can go on in 3 minute increments up to 15minutes.

We keep immaculate records, ID everyone and only allow people on once every 48hours.

I was totally unsure about having it but it's brought us so much business, and people coming in for tanning are now booking other services too.

The bed was £300 to install on the initial payment (we rent it), then all monies are split 50/50 between us and the rental company. The bed cost £1 per hour of electric to run.

I still do well from them as there is a big market for them in my area. Think it depends on area a lot, the only reason I got them in the first place is so many customers were asking.

Thanks for the replies.

To those who have beds, apart from the obvious, what's the difference between stand up and lay down

I think it's just preference of the customer I have both but lie down is more popular but still get people who will only use the stand up too

We have two stand ups in my salon. Brings in a lot of customers who then book treatments.

We started in October with 2 beds and will shortly have 4. Just becareful who you rent them from, our business nearly failed before it started because of a well known nationwide company who are absolutely awful.

We have 3 customers who have sessions on 3 different doctor's advice (for 3 different complaints!). I wish I'd used them years ago and really think they should be recommended more for skin complaints.

I totally agree they can prepare the skin for holidays/sun bathing and thus prevent serious problems. Everything in moderation is my motto!

Thanks for the replies.

To those who have beds, apart from the obvious, what's the difference between stand up and lay down

If you have the room, I'd recommend 1 of each.
Lie downs are fab for your legs & are more relaxing but can leave underarm patches and pressure point patches.
Stand-ups are good for an even tan but some customers go dizzy on them easily.
I find most lie down customers would use a stand up if they had to but not as many stand up customers would try a lie down.
Hope that helps a little :)

We are so busy with our sunbeds. We have 2 laydown and a stand and we get most people loving the laydown because its got softer facial tanners specifically designed for the face, although its good to alternate between flat and stand so that you don't get white patches from laying down all the time.

We started in October with 2 beds and will shortly have 4. Just becareful who you rent them from, our business nearly failed before it started because of a well known nationwide company who are absolutely awful.

We have 3 customers who have sessions on 3 different doctor's advice (for 3 different complaints!). I wish I'd used them years ago and really think they should be recommended more for skin complaints.

I totally agree they can prepare the skin for holidays/sun bathing and thus prevent serious problems. Everything in moderation is my motto!

Can I ask who you rent from?

They've been banned totally in Australia now.

They've been banned totally in Australia now.

That's due to the strong natural sun in Australia. Their also banned in Brazil for the same reason

BeckyBee - We rent from Cyrano in Essex. They're fantastic for customer service, products and advice. Highly recommend them.

If you contact them, please mention us - Topaz :)

Good luck

I need sunbeds due to my dark complexion and lack of sunlight in England. Without my fortnightly sessions in winter I probably would not make enough vitamin D.

Problems with sunbeds occur as people abuse them and poor training.

I have been reading through some old threads & found this one.
I would be interested to find out from those of you that have sunbeds in a salon whether you have just a sunbed salon only or whether you have hair or beauty. too.
I know many years ago sunbeds were very popular & were everywhere in all types of salons but not so now.
Years ago I did use sunbeds but haven't for many years & personally don't want to. Are they popular still?

I have a stand up in my salon and it's mainly people prepping skin before a holiday. It goes through phases of being used a lot then not so much. I think used in moderation and safely they are fine. We always start our clients that buy courses on a few 3 minute sessions then gradually build up to 6 then 9 or 12mins etc. It takes a bit longer but it's safer and once the base colour is established its then easy to maintain with 1 session a week or even 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back